30-Yard Challenge

I am not a paper puncher, other than to sight in my rifle for pesting purposes. My typical target looks like this.
IMG_9977.jpeg

The other day, the conditions were perfect, and I decided to take this 30 yard challenge. Zero wind, temperature at about 70°F and relative humidity at 50%.

Taipan Compact Vet (13” barrel) .25. JSB 25.39 King.
IMG_9974.jpeg

I can shoot out to 85 yards, although the Taipan is mostly affective from 50 yards and in.
IMG_9975.jpeg

So here’s what I accomplished. Certainly a lot of room for improvement. I would like to try this challenge again with the lower caliber rifle like a 22 or a .177.
But at least I know that any of those shots would’ve taken out a problem pest.
IMG_9979.jpeg

Work has been challenging lately, so I got outside and shot a few cards with FX PowerPup to relax my mind.

194 8X 40-Challenge
193 8X 40-Challenge
192 12X 40-Masters

The last two cards were shot in dim light. Its a consistent 190+ 40 yard rifle with this 600mm superlight barrel.

Truth is I shot these cards with “clean” pellets, lol. I dropped about 1/2 a full tin onto the ground the other day. I picked up all I could see and then washed them in the sink using a spaghetti strainer - then air dried them on a paper towel.

So 190+ 40-Yard cards with “recycled” pellets, lol.

Hope you guys got some shooting in.

-Ed

IMG_5229.jpeg

Work has been challenging lately, so I got outside and shot a few cards with FX PowerPup to relax my mind.

194 8X 40-Challenge
193 8X 40-Challenge
192 12X 40-Masters

The last two cards were shot in dim light. Its a consistent 190+ 40 yard rifle with this 600mm superlight barrel.

Truth is I shot these cards with “clean” pellets, lol. I dropped about 1/2 a full tin onto the ground the other day. I picked up all I could see and then washed them in the sink using a spaghetti strainer - then air dried them on a paper towel.

So 190+ 40-Yard cards with “recycled” pellets, lol.

Hope you guys got some shooting in.

-Ed

View attachment 490215

Those are all very good cards Ed. I need to try 40y again, but most attempts are in mid-high 180’s; and even in 170’s at times, which is discouraging. Might have to say goodbye to the 190’s at 30y for a while. I try and cherry pick light wind days for 40y, which is very rare at my open range. If I get a 1-2 mph with wind still at times, I normally will try 40.

Otherwise, it’s almost a waste of time. My wind reading is easier at 30Y.

Hello shooters and fellow AGN members! My first posting of a 30y challenge "target". I couldn't tell you the last time I used a "paper" target, I usually used wood to catch my pellets. I usually shoot at a mark for groups....
not "at a mark to hit it"...so a little different for me. Used my Wolverine r .177 standard power with JSB 13.43 redesigns at 795fps...Last time I shot this Wolv was mid April at 52 yds...I just shot a few pellets to sight it in at 30, maybe 20 pellets and shot the card...first time no practice just did it. I didn't let the gun/scope temperature stabilize properly...from a cold ac house to 93* Florida heat and humidity...May have been the issue with #7. The scope is an Athlon Argos 6x30x56 used at 30x. Gun was bought new in May of '20....I did adjust the trigger and polished the bore...my way...but never shot it much over the yesrs...Bullpups hooked me. This Wolverine is a very accurate capable gun....and is capable of better than 193. I didn't know there was a 40 and 50 yard challenge also. Anxious to try my Veteran .22 and my Humtsman Regal .20 on a card, View attachment 489305View attachment 489306both are capable accurate guns.
wonderful first time card , it will be great to watch you progress to an all x 's card (BTW very hard to do all X's )
Stan in KY

Reactions: RM100GUY
Those are all very good cards Ed. I need to try 40y again, but most attempts are in mid-high 180’s; and even in 170’s at times, which is discouraging. Might have to say goodbye to the 190’s at 30y for a while. I try and cherry pick light wind days for 40y, which is very rare at my open range. If I get a 1-2 mph with wind still at times, I normally will try 40.

Otherwise, it’s almost a waste of time. My wind reading is easier at 30Y.

Well Tommy, I’ll share some thoughts regarding 40 yards and our crazy small target… hopefully to benefit everyone here…

I have shot 40 yards this year far more than 30. I’m not sure why, but I’ve noticed that I’ve gotten better at it.

Yesterday shooting the 1st two 40-Challenge cards, the wind was shifting L-R and R-L. I could “feel” the wind shift - almost before glancing at my flags. I’m constantly adjusting my holds between targets. I also adjust and aim slightly lower when the flags show a slight wind towards the target. I definitely did not have this kind of feel for it last year - so I’ve improved.

Since we pushed out to 40, I didn’t no what a “good score” at 40 was. So, don’t focus on our 40 leaderboards. I looked at a 187 40-yard card I shot the other day and said to myself, “damn, that’s a good card”. It was breezy and the card was mostly all 9s and the vertical was good.

Yes, I think your wide open field rifle range is going to present a tougher wind challenge than most backyard shooters face. Look at it as an opportunity - to get better at wind reading than the backyard shooters. All real competitions are held on ranges like the one you shoot at - so you are posting scores from a competition type environment.

I shot a 190+ 40-yard card recently using 24x on a Midas Tac. However, to properly hold off for wind, I’d highly recommend 36x or 45x magnification.

My best rifles/results at 40 yards are all with 18.13g .22 pellets. Recently, I discovered my Taipan is definitely 190+ at 40 using 25.39 MRDs. I’ve also had some excellent results with RTI Prophet V1 using the new 20.83g at 40 yards. Using 15.89g .22 or .177 at 40 - I haven’t been able to score as high.

Check out my Left-Right “battle” on the 1st two cards I shot yesterday. It never stopped, but that is the “fun”.

Yep, you will likely need a very light wind day to put a 195 type card up on our 40 leaderboards - but I get just as much satisfaction out of “beating the wind” by scoring 180+ on a breezy day.

We don’t call them the 30 and 40 yard “Challenge” for nuthin’…

Now get some lead downrange !

IMG_5228.jpeg

IMG_5227.jpeg

Reactions: Loff and tommyb
I just shoot at 30 because I don't have 40 yards of space available without driving to a range. But I've been shooting a bit in the wind the last several days. It's been windy and I wanted to get in at least one target a day. The weather report says the wind speed has been varying from about 6 to 8 mph but my drifts indicate there are gusts at least twice that sometimes. I shot a 194 with the P35-22 shooting it's favorite H&N Baracuda Match pellets and a 190 yesterday with the P35-177 shooting H&N Baracuda FT pellets. It was windier yesterday so I was pretty happy with that. It has been even windier today (might get to 10 mph between gusts) and my score will probably be lower. I've been shooting blocks of 8 targets as a reward for completing other tasks and I have not shot the last block yet (need to do a little work and then reward myself). I'm shooting the 177 again today. It's quiet and fun and while my score will be lower with it I may also learn the most shooting it. I can also easily get 3 targets from a fill on the 177. Today's target was a 187. I had a few 20s but also a couple 16s. Wind was switching from 9-10 o'clock to 1-2 o'clock until late in the day when I shot the last 8. It was the best set.

Last edited:
First card today, I shot this 199 15X 40-Challenge with FX Crown. Unfortunately, not “good” enough to be a leaderboard submission, lol.

I switched to 40-Masters and shot a 189 and a 190 - the 190 was 11X.

Light got too dim for cards, so I shot a few groups at paper plate with FX Crown and RTI Prophet V1 - 40 yard groups look darn good on these 190+ capable 40 yard rifles.

Hope you guys had time to get some lead downrange.

-Ed

IMG_5235.jpeg

IMG_5230.jpeg

IMG_5234.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD
I've been talking about shooting in wind so I decided to post an example. It's been nice for SC this week with highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s. We don't normally get that low until September. But the wind has been 5-10 mph with higher gusts. But it's a good chance to work on my wind reading skills and since the 177 moves the most I've been using it. Today I shot two targets, one in the morning and one a few minutes ago. Both 191s but the am target had 6Xs and this one has 13Xs. I think the explanation is that tonight I was getting brief periods where the wind was more like 5 mph and this morning it did not go that low. Should have had a higher score tonight too. But when it switches I still have trouble responding in time.

My one 177 is a P35 in that caliber. It wears a Athlon Talos 6-24 scope set at 24X for this. I am shooting H&N Baracuda FTs at about 880 fps. Fun gun to shoot. I get about 100 shots per fill.

P35-177 191 13X in wind.jpg

Reactions: RCope and EPG
Tough to find time/conditions to shoot in South Florida this time of year. Storms went through and the wind was minimal, temperature acceptable, humidity still like 100%. I have a new-to-me .22 Red Wolf HP... tried just a few different pellets, picked a good one and had time for one card before it got too dark. This rifle obviously has a lot of potential, I just need to learn how to shoot it...JSB 25.4 "trash cans" at 883 avg FPS on "low". Athlon Heras 15-60 on 40. left to right wind picked up around pair 7, adjusted a bit. Also tried a few slugs and have a bunch of other pellets to try...more cards to follow
IMG_5659.jpg
IMG_5660.jpg

Tough to find time/conditions to shoot in South Florida this time of year. Storms went through and the wind was minimal, temperature acceptable, humidity still like 100%. I have a new-to-me .22 Red Wolf HP... tried just a few different pellets, picked a good one and had time for one card before it got too dark. This rifle obviously has a lot of potential, I just need to learn how to shoot it...JSB 25.4 "trash cans" at 883 avg FPS on "low". Athlon Heras 15-60 on 40. left to right wind picked up around pair 7, adjusted a bit. Also tried a few slugs and have a bunch of other pellets to try...more cards to follow
View attachment 490937View attachment 490938

Hey Rick

Nice first card with the new RW.

I had a RW Safari .22 HP a few years back. Mostly used it for N50 50y and 100Y bench rest paper targets. At the time, the factory setting was shooting the MRDs ( not trash cans) at 970 FPS on medium power setting. I never tried it for the 30y challenge when I had it, but it did shoot accurately at both 50 & 100y. My RAW .22 HP shoots the redesigns at 935-945 FPS, and I have had many mid to upper 190’s at 30y with that rifle.

Since you mentioned you had lots of pellets you wanted to try, you can easily try either the JSB 25.4g new shallows or the FX trash cans at about 970 FPS range. The factory trigger setting breaks at around 5 oz, so pretty light and I couldn’t get a clean first stage feel with any trigger adjustments I tried. People love the electronic trigger on the RW, but it took me a while to get used to the light break/release.

I would be curious to see if you have any more luck at 970 FPS.

Tom

Last edited:
@tommyb Thanks for the advice. I'll give those pellet/fps combinations a try. You are right about the trigger, that's one of the things I need to learn. My S510 has a great first stage/second stage break which makes my meager skills a lot better ;-). Cheers! Rick

YW, for sure Rick.

Re. A good first stage/ second stage break: I like the mechanical vs. electronic triggers much better! As an example, with either the RAWs or my HW100, I rely on the first stage break as part of my trigger routine and follow through.

I wish I had a penny for how many accidental discharges I had with the RW when I first got the rifle, shooting paper range targets. But, once you get used to it you will really like the smooth release.

Good luck!

Reactions: RCope
The Prophet taking no prisoners on my lunchtime card today…

Leaderboard submission for 40-Challenge.
JSB 20.83g MRD Light pellets.
Sightron 45x
196 14X

I did take a couple sighters before the last row (bottom) because the wind direction changed 180 degrees. Without that sighter info, would not have hit 196.

These JSB MRD Lights are great in the Prophet .22 Long Range barrel, but they definitely throw flyers - had a significant flyer on this card and I usually get 1 or 2 per card with this pricey pellet.

IMG_5291.jpeg

IMG_5289.jpeg

IMG_5290.jpeg

2nd card of day, 2nd leaderboard submission! Shot this very quickly as thunderstorms crackling nearby.

One sighter - an X on cardboard left - and then 20 straight good shots at 40 yards. Prophet felt so nice on this card! Getting used to my old best friend again, lol.

195 11X 40-Masters… and no 8s over 20 shots - makes me happy.

IMG_5292.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tommyb and Loff
YW, for sure Rick.

Re. A good first stage/ second stage break: I like the mechanical vs. electronic triggers much better! As an example, with either the RAWs or my HW100, I rely on the first stage break as part of my trigger routine and follow through.

I wish I had a penny for how many accidental discharges I had with the RW when I first got the rifle, shooting paper range targets. But, once you get used to it you will really like the smooth release.

Good luck!

Ed

I saw your 40Y Challenge and 40Y Masters cards with the Prophet. I am having pretty good luck with the lights also. VG 40Y cards!!

I took your suggestions to heart and shot Four 40 Y Challenge cards today and one Masters with the RAW TM1000X .177.

Wind was light and did gust to 3-4 mph at times. Mostly head winds and some tail winds. Not too many crosswinds.

197-12x 40Y Challenge for next Leaderboard submission for September .

(Another unexplained pellet drop on 3B. I do think I need to start examining each pellet b4 I get to the range. This was not wind and not me, so bad pellet I think. )

40Y Challenge:
196-12x
187-6X
183-5X

183-7X - 40Y Masters

Still shooting a lot of 180 cards, but any day I hit two 40Y cards in 190’s is good for me.

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

Reactions: drpietrzak
Well I think I finally got a 200 with my new Caiman X tonight. I just started my third order of 1000 pellets through it. Plus others figuring out what it likes. Takes me awhile. I'm also attaching two other very recent targets so I can tell my story. But the 200 15X is what I'm submitting for the leader board. It was shot today in very low wind with my Caiman X which has an Arken EPL-4 6-24 set at 24X and shooting H&N Baracuda 18 pellets at about 910 fps.

I spent significant time over the last couple weeks sorting the Baracuda 18 pellets this gun likes and had myself convinced it did not like the 18.3 grain pellets. I only found 18.0, 18.1, 18.2 18.3 and 18.4 grain in the two tins I measured. I also checked head size and found three but could not see any difference in how they shot. Two small tests of the 18.3s suggested they were giving me 50% 10s. But in sorting the second tin I generated enough 18.3s to shoot a target and it was a 194 or 195 but more significantly the last 10 shots were all 10s. I think that was the target I let the gun go off reg which cost me at least 2 shots so it should have been better. Anyway, that brings us to the 197 target shot yesterday. On it I noticed my 9s were predominantly going a little high so I adjusted my point of aim to just under the 10 ring which I used on the subsequent 198 and 200 today. On the 198 I noticed my 9s were mostly to the right of the bull. So I clicked a couple clicks to compensate. After the first 4 shots on the 200 I took one of those away, I think I over compensated. I shot the last 20 targets with the same scope setting and aim point. I bring this up in case it may help somebody. I looked for a more complicated "solution" in pellet sorting when my big problem is my gun was not precisely sighted in. I went right past the simpler more basic requirement. Anyway, I'm glad I finally got a 200 out of this gun - after 4 199s, two with 17Xs. I also think it is a little ironic the 200 15X score matches my only other 200 which I shot last year with my P35-22. Another little goofy thing is the 197 17X is the most Xs you can have on a 197 target. I shot as many as 18 Xs last year with my P35-22 so I don't know why when I finally get a 200 it has to be 15Xs. But I will take it. Leaves room for improvement.

Caiman 200 15X.jpg

Caiman 197 17X.jpg

Caiman 198 17X.jpg