30-Yard Challenge

I haven't shot a score better than my previous in quite awhile but continue to shoot some. My latest "invention" is a windage adjustable monopod. The highest score I've shot with it is a 197 with 14X, did that this morning. I shot a 196 with it on 8/3. It is 90+ temperature here with high humidity so I don't enjoy being outside even though my shooting bench is shaded. I'll also include a couple pictures of my adjustable monopod. I think DonnyFL/Sabre tactical sells something like this for $250. I spent about $20 on hardware store items to make mine. Doesn't seem to help my scores but I don't think it's hurting either. Like my Caldwell Rock Br rest, it makes it easier to set the rifle up for the next target. I'm shooting my P35 in 22 caliber with H&N Baracuda Match pellets at about 835 fps. Sighting is via a Vector 8-32 set at 32X - all just like my best 199 score.

Since the 196 on 8/3 my P35-22 was not giving me the 195 or better scores it fairly routinely provides. So I decided to clean the barrel this morning and the 197 was the first target after I got it re-sighted. I had to change the zero significantly and reset the zeros on the scope. So if I find myself needing to adjust the scope I will hopefully remember to clean the barrel. I also shot a poor target recently after failing to check the tank pressure. I fell badly off the reg. I feel silly forgetting basic things but it's nice when I diagnose what isn't working quite right.

View attachment 379284

View attachment 379285

View attachment 379286
I am building front and rear rests out of wood threads too Hard maple for the threaded shafts , Walnut for the body , taking longer than i planed .

Reactions: rc4fun
First time posting unfortunately i didn't use card stock so many rips in the paper View attachment 379394
Wow, that looks like a 240, lol.

How did you score it? It looks like 200 20X - which would be our 1st perfect score this year !

What pellets, what velocity did you shoot? What scope and magnification did you use?

Reactions: rc4fun
I’m happy to post my 1st card of 190+ using .22 Crosman Premier Hollow Points.

191 8X. I’ve shot 194 using .22 Crosman Premier domes. Yeah, and the right target #11 just squeaked a 10 on the line, lol.

Of course, after seeing Beerthief’s card, I’m almost embarrassed to post this with a 15 and a 16, lol - crazy Crosman flyers.

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

I’m happy to post my 1st card of 190+ using .22 Crosman Premier Hollow Points.

191 8X. I’ve shot 194 using .22 Crosman Premier domes. Yeah, and the right target #11 just squeaked a 10 on the line, lol.

Of course, after seeing Beerthief’s card, I’m almost embarrassed to post this with a 15 and a 16, lol - crazy Crosman flyers.

View attachment 379418

View attachment 379419
No need to be embarrassed esp with the Crossmans! It's not like there is anything to loose. It's all fun and you still have to buy your own pellets 😉

Wow, that looks like a 240, lol.

How did you score it? It looks like 200 20X - which would be our 1st perfect score this year !

What pellets, what velocity did you shoot? What scope and magnification did you use?
didn't score it . 7 gr. wadcutters antique H&N pellets , FWB600 , bugbuster mini
IMG_1779.jpg

Another 191 8x for the Mav Compact with 10.5 Crosmans. Ditched the bipod and went with two bags.

Nice shooting Florida_Man!

I shot a record 195 with my Weihrauch HW110 today - using Crosman 14.3g .22 domes.

I’ll post the official target later. I’m thinking to score higher I’ll have to switch to JSBs with the HW110 - but it does shoot the “crazy Crosmans” well.

Reactions: Florida_Man
197 11x with Crosman Premier 10.5's!!!
EPG gave me some advice of going slower with the Crosman's and its panned out! The 1st one today in my previous post is 840 fps. I had a wild idea of going lower. How low? 783 FPS!

EPG gave me some advice of going slower with the Crosman's and its panned out! The 1st one today in my previous post is 840 fps. I had a wild idea of going lower. How low? 783 FPS!

FX Maverick Compact 177
Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x @ 24 power
No limits rings
DonnyFL Tatsu
Crosman Premier 10.5's sorted by weight
Single shot try
Bag rest
Reg. Settings
1st 90 bar
2nd 50 bar
Hammer adjust PW4

82 degrees, in before the wind. 8am

Last edited:
Still no improvement over my previous best but I almost tied it this morning. There is nearly no wind so I will probably try again later. I shot a 199 with 17Xs with my P35-22 using H&N Baracuda Match pellets. I used a bipod and my home made windage adjustable monopod. This is now my third 199 with that gun. The first was with the bipod and a monopod, the second was with my Caldwell Rock BR front rest and a bunny ear bag and now this one. I don't think exactly how you support the gun makes a difference but I find it critical to get it supported by the rests and then take my weight off it while pulling the trigger. I struggle with maintaining the necessary concentration. After the "8" in cell 6 I took a rest and when I came back I shot better. Should have rested after cell 5.

I did get one more target in between periods of rain but it was a 197 with 13X - good but not better than others. It rained a little during that one but I stopped due to the rain once and then I tried again this evening. I noticed on the 197 most of my shots were a touch low. So I thought I turned it a couple clicks up but actually clicked it down. So then I was definitely low. When I fixed that my gun went off on it's own a couple times. The first time it was all lined up and the result was what we used to call a double X - right in the center. But then it did it again and I had to reset the sear engagement a bit. It's never done that before. I had it set light but I didn't think it was that light. Anyway, two targets I stopped for different reasons and one full target. Still it was fun.

199 17X.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: EPG
Damn, you guys are getting better all the time.

Congratulations on the new high with the Maverick Florida_Man! Yep, my thought is the Crosman 14.3 pellets were designed at a time when 750fps was a “high power” air rifle - it seems they are most stable below 850fps - probably 750fps is optimal.

JimD… “no improvement”, lol - I’ll take a 199 any day!! There is only a handful of 199s shot all year in the TYC.

Its a bit breezy here for shooting, but check out the mid-August Connecticut weather. Its been like this all summer - best weather summer in recent memory!

-Ed

IMG_2654.png

Still no improvement over my previous best but I almost tied it this morning. There is nearly no wind so I will probably try again later. I shot a 199 with 17Xs with my P35-22 using H&N Baracuda Match pellets. I used a bipod and my home made windage adjustable monopod. This is now my third 199 with that gun. The first was with the bipod and a monopod, the second was with my Caldwell Rock BR front rest and a bunny ear bag and now this one. I don't think exactly how you support the gun makes a difference but I find it critical to get it supported by the rests and then take my weight off it while pulling the trigger. I struggle with maintaining the necessary concentration. After the "8" in cell 6 I took a rest and when I came back I shot better. Should have rested after cell 5.

View attachment 379768

Jim, you are funny! “No improvement, my A$$ !

• Haha
I've read that the boxed come off the same die whereas the tins are off various dies.

72 is about as cool as it gets here these days. The "feels like" temperature is supposed to get to about 110 this weekend here. Might get another target or two in, hope to, but boat traffic may also not support shooting. Weekends in the summer tend to be busy on the lake (which is behind my pellet trap).

What I think of as "good" varies by gun. With my P35-177, anything over 190 is pretty good (it's best is a 194). Haven't shot the 25 caliber Avenger enough to have a good feel for it but it is at least at this level. But the P35-22 is definitely better. When it isn't 195 or better I start looking for a cause (usually it's me). Still hoping for a 200 but those are even more rare than 199s. Seems possible. Last three are 197, 199, and 197.

Well I finally did it! I shot a 200 15X this morning with my P35 in 22 caliber. I was using the Vector Sentinel 8-32 set at 32, a $75 bipod, and my home made windage adjustable monopod. Pellets are the same H&N Baracuda Match 21 grain, 5.51 head size and lot 822 that I have been shooting recently. I am submitting this for the leader board. The X count is not my best but that is less important than the score. It is brutally hot already and I took a break after cell 6 but shot worse after the break than before. I like it that the first two and last two cells are good, however. I don't know if it was the heat or what but I found I had to start holding about 1/8th inch left when shooting cells 9 and 10 (the 19s). I made that adjustment for the last couple cells and it turned out well.

I don't know if we are still keeping a list of the brand rifles that have shot a 200 but, if so, we can now add Snowpeak, SPA, formerly known as Artemis.

200 15X.jpg

Well I finally did it! I shot a 200 15X this morning with my P35 in 22 caliber. I was using the Vector Sentinel 8-32 set at 32, a $75 bipod, and my home made windage adjustable monopod. Pellets are the same H&N Baracuda Match 21 grain, 5.51 head size and lot 822 that I have been shooting recently. I am submitting this for the leader board. The X count is not my best but that is less important than the score. It is brutally hot already and I took a break after cell 6 but shot worse after the break than before. I like it that the first two and last two cells are good, however. I don't know if it was the heat or what but I found I had to start holding about 1/8th inch left when shooting cells 9 and 10 (the 19s). I made that adjustment for the last couple cells and it turned out well.

I don't know if we are still keeping a list of the brand rifles that have shot a 200 but, if so, we can now add Snowpeak, SPA, formerly known as Artemis.

View attachment 379927

Way to go Jim. Feels good doesn’t it?