30-Yard Challenge

Well I finally did it! I shot a 200 15X this morning with my P35 in 22 caliber. I was using the Vector Sentinel 8-32 set at 32, a $75 bipod, and my home made windage adjustable monopod. Pellets are the same H&N Baracuda Match 21 grain, 5.51 head size and lot 822 that I have been shooting recently. I am submitting this for the leader board. The X count is not my best but that is less important than the score. It is brutally hot already and I took a break after cell 6 but shot worse after the break than before. I like it that the first two and last two cells are good, however. I don't know if it was the heat or what but I found I had to start holding about 1/8th inch left when shooting cells 9 and 10 (the 19s). I made that adjustment for the last couple cells and it turned out well.

I don't know if we are still keeping a list of the brand rifles that have shot a 200 but, if so, we can now add Snowpeak, SPA, formerly known as Artemis.

View attachment 379927

AWESOME Shooting!

When your 1st and last row are 4 Xs, you gotta feel good!!

194 14x today. I cracked open a new box of 1250 Crosman 10.5's and shot from it. This is the most X's I've had yet.

FX Maverick Compact 177
Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x @ 24 power
No limits rings
DonnyFL Tatsu
Crosman Premier 10.5's sorted by weight
Single shot try
Bag rest
Reg. Settings
1st 90 bar
2nd 50 bar
Hammer adjust PW4

Hi guys,

I submit this 195 7X for the leaderboard - with my Weihrauch HW110 and Crosman Premier domes - 725fps. Scope was a Midas Tac at 24x.

This tops three 194s I’ve shot with the HW110. I’ve had a lot more Xs than this on the 194s - I think 13X once when using JSB 14.35g.

I’ve been visiting old friends all weekend, so no shooting - but I’m gonna get some lead downrange now, lol.

I’m going to shoot my Daystate Huntsman.22 a bit. I’ve already shot 200 with this rifle and in a conversation with Florida_Man I realized that I need to shoot my most accurate guns more - I tend to shoot my guns that still need some tuning most often.

IMG_2660.jpeg

Reactions: Florida_Man
This is why a recommend a Daystate Huntsman to anyone wanting a PCP that just shoots - no adjustment.

This Huntsman is a Regal - bolt action instead of current cocking lever on Revere. It is unregulated.

I have not shot it in a couple weeks. I picked it up, shot 3 shots to check zero - dead on - then 24 straight shots at TYC card… 197 15X … and a bit breezy. Using the magazine. Arken EPL-4 6x24 scope at 24x . Air Arms (JSB) 15.89g pellets at 875fps.

I have not even adjusted the trigger on this thing - shooting it exactly as it came out of the box!! (and you know I like to adjust and polish stuff, lol).

I have never shot less than 195 with this Huntsman. It is “boringly accurate”. If I just shot this one rifle all the time I’m certain it would shoot a bunch of 200s - to date it has shot one 200. Crazy simple and accurate rifle!

IMG_2661.jpeg

My second card of the day… with my other “boringly accurate” Daystate - Wolverine R HP .22.

To “liven up” the Wolverine’s card, I’m using FX 18.13g - it shoots them at an insane 1,028fps - dead accurate!!

This is my 2nd consecutive 199 with the Wolverine shooting 18.13s at 1,028fps. I used a CARM single shot loader. I loaded a bent skirt pellet on Target #10 - likely cost me a 200 score - I didn’t think it was that bent to make a difference… maybe it was mental, lol. Sightron SII 36x (36x42) target scope ($450 - awesome!! )

I actually submit this for the leaderboard as it has more Xs (17) than my previous 199. (There are actually 19Xs on this card - counting the crossed out targets!!).

I really should shoot these Daystates more - they seem to like me…

-Ed

IMG_2662.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

Well I finally did it! I shot a 200 15X this morning with my P35 in 22 caliber. I was using the Vector Sentinel 8-32 set at 32, a $75 bipod, and my home made windage adjustable monopod. Pellets are the same H&N Baracuda Match 21 grain, 5.51 head size and lot 822 that I have been shooting recently. I am submitting this for the leader board. The X count is not my best but that is less important than the score. It is brutally hot already and I took a break after cell 6 but shot worse after the break than before. I like it that the first two and last two cells are good, however. I don't know if it was the heat or what but I found I had to start holding about 1/8th inch left when shooting cells 9 and 10 (the 19s). I made that adjustment for the last couple cells and it turned out well.

I don't know if we are still keeping a list of the brand rifles that have shot a 200 but, if so, we can now add Snowpeak, SPA, formerly known as Artemis.

View attachment 379927
Great shooting Jim. I don't know how you do it in this heat.

Reactions: JimD and tommyb
At last! Here is my first 200. After blowing 3 of the first 4 I figured I was not destined for 200 today. Thunder storm on the way. Keep at it and see. 17X not to bad. Not Pro class yet.
FX M3 .22
New Sightron Siii 10x50 FT @40
FX 18.1g @925fps washed & lubed with lemon pledge. Trigger work done today:
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/whats-he-hoping-for.1295343/

20230814_155023.jpg

8/14/2023

Reactions: rc4fun
At last! Here is my first 200. After blowing 3 of the first 4 I figured I was not destined for 200 today. Thunder storm on the way. Keep at it and see. 17X not to bad. Not Pro class yet.
FX M3 .22
New Sightron Siii 10x50 FT @40
FX 18.1g @925fps washed & lubed with lemon pledge.
Congratulations!!

Do you think the new Sightron @ 40X helped?

Well it didn't hurt. I like a thin reticle and this one works for me. I haven't set it next to my Athlon FFP to compare @24 . It is nice to see inside the 10 ring to get centered! Clear and a crisp focus. With the overcast and approaching thunder storm I could still see very well into the trees.
I'll say again here if you are a vet or LEO give them a call for a generous discount, no tax except NC.

I had the day off - did some TYC cards and some motorcycle riding.

Shot 193 and 195 with HW110 in the morning using JSB 14.35g The 195 12X is a leaderboard submission as it has more Xs than my 195 with the HW110 shooting Crosman 14.3g.

Just after noon I shot 3 cards with Reximex Daystar .177 (It is essentially a .177 Benjamin Cayden - virtually identical except stock and caliber). Cards were:
197 14X (using Athlon Argos @ 24x)
199 14X (using Sightron SIII ED 36x)
191 9X (Using Sightron)

I swapped on the Sightron after the 197 with the Argos - figured it might get me to 200. No dice - and I had previously shot 199 16X with the Daystar.

This evening I shot 1 card - another 199 (14X) with the Wolverine at 1,027fps with JSB 18.13s. Damn - also not leaderboard worthy as my previous 199 had 17Xs.

So, I shot 199s with 2 different rifles and a personal best with the other rifle - and yet I feel almost disappointed. It’s getting later in the year and damn hard to improve on scores with most of my rifles.

—Ed

IMG_2669.jpeg

IMG_2667.jpeg

71373241030__6517D98D-DFF6-430D-9796-45C799D21A02.jpeg

71371735354__949CF42C-560F-4462-85BD-32D59AC48638.jpeg

Well it didn't hurt. I like a thin reticle and this one works for me. I haven't set it next to my Athlon FFP to compare @24 . It is nice to see inside the 10 ring to get centered! Clear and a crisp focus. With the overcast and approaching thunder storm I could still see very well into the trees.
I'll say again here if you are a vet or LEO give them a call for a generous discount, no tax except NC.
I absolutely agree rc4fun. I couldn’t believe I shot 197 14X with the thick reticle of the Argos. Basically blocks out the entire 10 zone! I get Sightron at a nice discount from Scott @ Liberty Optics. I love their SII and SIII fixed focal target scopes - super thin reticles and clear, bright glass.

I'm thankful Ed added scopes to the leaderboard data. I've wondered what difference it makes too. My theory is that it isn't just magnification but also glass quality that may make a small difference. I think it can help me make my aim point consistent and where it needs to be. I'm sure it hurt my try or two with my Prod that it wears a 2-7 scope. Extreme example. Can't hardly see the target. But I shot one with my P35-25 which wears a Primary Arms 4-14 on Sunday and it was a 154 3X but that is the barrel, at least mostly. I could see the target but not really the 10 ring. But the issue is it will vary between the X dot and the 5 ring randomly on it's own. Hopefully the new barrel will arrive next month, probably late, and I'll try it first with the same scope, moving to higher magnification if it shows promise. I just ordered another SPA barrel from Krale and it is taking months. I could do other tests, of course.

I think a reasonably good 24X scope is enough. I moved my Athlon Talos 6-24 to my 177 when I got the Vector Sentinel 8-32 now on the P35-22 and I see the 10 ring and X dot as well with the Athlon as I do with the low end Vector. But to prove that I'd need to swap the Athlon back to the 22 and shoot a few targets. I watch a youtuber with a channel something like "Tilly gunstocks" sometimes and he thinks he can shoot as well with a 10 or 12X scope as he can with a 20X it is just harder to place shots precisely with the lower magnification. He likes the greater field of view for seeing evidence of a wind shift. Maybe it's more a question of making shot placement easier than it is making accurate shots more possible. If you can see the target you know where the center is.

Weekly TYC Leaderboard Update

Notable updates this week:
  • JimD shot 200 with his P35-22
  • rc4fun shot 200 with his FX Impact - after missing on #1 and #2 !
  • Florida_Man shot 197 by “reigning in” his Maverick’s velocity.
  • EPG shot 195 with his HW110 and 199 with his Wolverine.
  • Beerthief shot a nice card with his FWB 600 but did not score it.
AGN Leaderboard.jpeg

AGN Springer Leaderboard.jpeg

Great shooting everyone!!

-Ed

Last edited:
A shooter asked me if there was a record of all the rifles that have shot 200 in our Thirty Yard Challenge…

… I went through all the spreadsheets that Tom Carlson sent me and created a “Hall of Aim” - a list of 200s shot !

Keep in mind the following:
  • The TYC started in 2022
  • Some shooters may have shot many 200s with the same rifle / caliber
  • The Hall of Aim only lists the best 200 for the shooter - per rifle, per caliber, per year.
  • A shooter can submit a 200 for each caliber from the same rifle each year (has both .177 and .22 barrel kits)

There were many lists, attempts to keep quarterly results, age group results, cost of rifle results, big bores, 20 shots only “Masters” results, etc. (mreynolds actually shot a 200 20X with just 20 shots in 2022 with his Thomas .177 !!)

I consolidated all those lists and gleaned it down to the best 200 per shooter/rifle/caliber/year. I eliminated big bore submissions as the TYC is dedicated to .177 and .22.

See next post for the “HoA”…

Come on, everyone can plainly see that @beerthief shot a 240, Give him a break. 😉
thankyou , i was actually testing a ugt mini scope i have it on my FWB 600 to see how well it would miss the loading port . Perfect i am happy to say .
P.S. i don't think i am registered at the 30 Yard