30-Yard Challenge

do i need to register or do i just post under 30 yard challenge ? thanks

Hi beerthief,

No registration required. As rc4fun stated, you can score your target with a .22 scoring plug and submit.

We would have to add a new category of rifle, as your Feinwerkbau 600 is a single stroke pneumatic (SSP) 10 meter air rifle. I don’t believe we have ever had a score submitted for that type of rifle.

I’d imagine lots of folks would be interested in your SSP.

What caliber is it (assume .177)? Is your velocity for your H&N 7g wadcutters about 585fps as per this review of the FWB 600:

(super interesting stuff in that article about SSPs and in the reader comments below the article ! - there are actually 7 parts to the review if you search for “FWB 600” on PyramydAir.com )

Also, what scope did you use and what scope magnification did you shoot at?

Very cool old school Olympic style 10-meter rifle !

-Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
My 1st card of today…

… I knew I had a shot at 200 going into last row…

No way I choked that bad - something changed - caused poi to shift left.

I changed to a new tin of pellets mid-card, but that started on Target #8… frustrating.

71391600207__11B6EB98-0C21-4056-B403-66E83AE87638.jpeg

So disappointing and life goes on. New target new day. Keep on keeping on.

Lol, yep - I’m sure I pulled right pushing barrel left - thinking about 200 must have got to me.

I put the Huntsman away and shot a little.177 with the Reximex Daystar.

Shot 193 12X and 196 9X (lots of 10s).

The 196 was at dusk - check out my $30 Amazon solution!

IMG_2682.jpeg

Reactions: beerthief
My 1st card of today…

… I knew I had a shot at 200 going into last row…

No way I choked that bad - something changed - caused poi to shift left.

I changed to a new tin of pellets mid-card, but that started on Target #8… frustrating.

View attachment 381255

Any time you get a 199, it’s a near perfect card Ed.

I counted about ‘12’ bulls where your pellet was on the left side of the 10 ring. Assuming you might have had a slight right to left push from the wind? Where were you holding exactly for your POAs?

If there was absolutely no wind and you were holding exactly on the X dot, it could be that your 30 yard zero was not precise. This has happened to me before, which is why I try and get the most precise zero I can obtain.

Then again, I could be totally full of S$$T, in my speculation! Ha ha

Any time you get a 199, it’s a near perfect card Ed.

I counted about ‘12’ bulls where your pellet was on the left side of the 10 ring. Assuming you might have had a slight right to left push from the wind? Where were you holding exactly for your POAs?

If there was absolutely no wind and you were holding exactly on the X dot, it could be that your 30 yard zero was not precise. This has happened to me before, which is why I try and get the most precise zero I can obtain.

Then again, I could be totally full of S$$T, in my speculation! Ha ha

Thanks for trying to help make sense of what happened Tommy, but I think I blew it. I was definitely thinking about 200 heading into the last row - something that I don’t normally do. After blowing #11, I should have stood up and then reset myself totally for #12.

That Huntsman has me thinking 200 every time I pick it up. It was like that from the 1st time I shot it, pellets kept going through the same hole at 40 yards - I remember thinking “holy smokes!”. I must have won the barrel lottery with this Huntsman.

Thanks for trying to help make sense of what happened Tommy, but I think I blew it. I was definitely thinking about 200 heading into the last row - something that I don’t normally do. After blowing #11, I should have stood up and then reset myself totally for #12.

That Huntsman has me thinking 200 every time I pick it up. It was like that from the 1st time I shot it, pellets kept going through the same hole at 40 yards - I remember thinking “holy smokes!”. I must have won the barrel lottery with this Huntsman.

Maybe, but I’m still curious on your answers to my questions? Might help explain your POI shifts

Reactions: ThomasT
Maybe, but I’m still curious on your answers to my questions? Might help explain your POI shifts

Yes, there was a slight right to left breeze according to my wind flag. Also, yes - I was holding slightly right to compensate - holding on the right edge of the 10-ring.

But no way I should have missed like that last row…

Check out the scores with my Daystate rifles - one unregulated, one Huma regulated. They basically have no velocity adjustment, take them out of the box, feed them JSBs and they shoot lights out… makes you wonder about all this “tuning” that people do…

Wolverine Scores.jpeg

Huntsman Scores.jpeg

Those are great averages Ed. Great guns and great shooting makes that happen. I was curious so I averaged the targets I had laying out from my P35-22. The last 4, ending with my one and only 200, averaged 198.25. But if I expand it to 5 I have to include one less than 190 and the average drops to 196.4. If I do all 8, the average drops to 194.875. One of the lower scores was because my right hand was on the bench (wanted to see the effect) and another was when I went back to using my Rock BR rest. But still my little inexpensive SPA gives me pretty consistently good scores.

Those are great averages Ed. Great guns and great shooting makes that happen. I was curious so I averaged the targets I had laying out from my P35-22. The last 4, ending with my one and only 200, averaged 198.25. But if I expand it to 5 I have to include one less than 190 and the average drops to 196.4. If I do all 8, the average drops to 194.875. One of the lower scores was because my right hand was on the bench (wanted to see the effect) and another was when I went back to using my Rock BR rest. But still my little inexpensive SPA gives me pretty consistently good scores.

You’ve got a great barrel and a great tune on your P35-22 Jim!

As you can tell from how few cards that I’ve shot with my two Daystates, I don’t shoot them that much. If I ever really practiced with either of them, I’d imagine I could get even better scores.

Instead, as I told Florida_Man, I spend my time shooting my guns that need more work, lol.

Problem children get more attention.

I spent the afternoon trying to best my 199 with my Taipan long. Shooting FX 18.1 cleaned and lubed but otherwise unsorted. Geeezz 194, 195,193, 196, what the heck? I will admit it's east to get spoiled using my new Siii 15x50-60 scope! Its not on this gun.
You know how the blame game goes. The AimSport Alpha 6, 4.5x27 SFP for $200 is a very good scope. Not a clicker...
Done changing targets so I put this one out, 6mm id 12mm od. How many shots does it take to make sure you are inside MOA or 10 ring @ 30 yards. I stopped counting, 1 to 5. Now to just get 20 in a row. Tomorrow is a new day. Maybe a bit of sorting is in order? What who has time for that, until you get serious? Maybe the next tin will be better, this one's gone.
20230820_171521.jpg

Last edited:
I spent the afternoon trying to best my 199 with my Taipan long. Shooting FX 18.1 cleaned and lubed but otherwise unsorted. Geeezz 194, 195,193, 196, what the heck? I will admit it's east to get spoiled using my new Siii 15x50-60 scope! Its not on this gun.
You know how the blame game goes. The AimSport Alpha 6, 4.5x27 SFP for $200 is a very good scope. Not a clicker...
Done changing targets so I put this one out, 6mm id 12mm od. How many shots does it take to make sure you are inside MOA or 10 ring @ 30 yards. I stopped counting, 1 to 5. Now to just get 20 in a row. Tomorrow is a new day. Maybe a bit of sorting is in order? What who has time for that, until you get serious? Maybe the next tin will be better, this one's gone.
View attachment 382244

That target looks great, you are shooting that rifle well!

Yep, I tend to agree… if you have a rifle that has shot 198s and 199s, it really comes down to the pellets (at least some minor sorting and weighing) to get the 200.

Reactions: rc4fun
View attachment 382244
can you post a link to print this target ?

I'm sure there was more than a little luck when I finally got a 200 after shooting three 199s. Two of the 199s had more Xs than the 200. I did try sorting pellets by weight but I did not do it on any of my best targets. I shot straight from the tin. I find weight variation in H&Ns, particularly the Match, is quite low, however. Much lower than Crosman and lower than the JSBs I have measured. It certainly can't hurt, however. I don't have a head size gauge for 22 but I did find some impacts of head size in 177. But again the H&N Baracuda Match pellets my guns like best have lower variation than other pellets I've measured. So sorting them didn't improve my scores in 177 either.

I am not a good enough shooter to claim to know much but my experience has been that sorting pellets didn't seem to make a difference for me. Probably just that my mistakes overwhelm other factors. But it may make more difference in your guns or otherwise for you.

I also do not single load. I shoot from magazines. I've tried it both ways but it didn't seem to make a difference so I just do what is easiest for me.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT