30-Yard Challenge

@beerthief great job welcome to the top! I don't think a plug will say anything else. You can use a .22 pellet to score for this challenge.
1a and 10b may only be 10's and not X's
I use card stock to print targets a .22 pellet just sits on top of hole .
edit : under a loop magnifier i cut the line in half but not cut into the X on #1 and made the line a ragged on the outside edge #10 hahaha this is fun " close but no cigar"

Last edited:
Reactions: rc4fun
shot a few minuets ago with FWB 600 (thankyou Louis) .177think it is a 22 x 22x but no plug yet View attachment 382523View attachment 382524
Hi Beerthief,

Great target, it would be great if you could score it by eye - then I can add it to the leaderboard.

Once scored, I will add it to the PCP leaderboard, as your SSP air rifle is pneumatic - kind of a single pump PCP. Its not a spring piston rifle, so I think it fits better with the PCPs.

It would also be great if you could provide Pellet Brand, weight and velocity. Also cool would be if you could provide the Scope brand, model and magnification you used while shooting the target.

It looks like Targets 1,5,6,8 and 10 are the only possible 10s (depending on how you choose to score it). In any case, it looks like you score 200 - just the number of bulls (Xs) is up to how you score.

When you get a scoring plug, we can always update the score you provide.

Thanks,

Ed

shot a few minuets ago with FWB 600 (thankyou Louis) .177think it is a 22 x 22x but no plug yet View attachment 382523View attachment 382524

You and Marvin have the nicest perfect score targets since the 30y challenge began in March 2022! Amazing with a Capital “A”

Fantastic shooting. It would be interesting if you provided some narrative as to how you shot this target. Wind speed, holds, technique, etc.

Truly superb!

no wind , hold dead on , rested , look at bubble level , all looks good ! take up first stage ,exhale 90% , exhale last 8 percent release second stage trigger , inhale ,hold position 5 seconds . remove rifle from rest , cock and load, set back and position for next target. I know Boring !!!

my range is part way down an embankment so no wind mostly , the first half of my range in under the screen porch outside the basement
You and Marvin have the nicest perfect score targets since the 30y challenge began in March 2022! Amazing with a Capital “A”

Fantastic shooting. It would be interesting if you provided some narrative as to how you shot this target. Wind speed, holds, technique, etc.

Truly superb!
I should add : my breathing is very constant ( counting would be 4 in and 4 out )never vary when shooting . trigger on the down count 4 start to exhale take up first stage 3, 2, release shot as your saying 1 , inhale 1,2,3,4 etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: tommyb and rc4fun
no wind , hold dead on , rested , look at bubble level , all looks good ! take up first stage ,exhale 90% , exhale last 8 percent release second stage trigger , inhale ,hold position 5 seconds . remove rifle from rest , cock and load, set back and position for next target. I know Boring !!!

my range is part way down an embankment so no wind mostly , the first half of my range in under the screen porch outside the basement

I should add : my breathing is very constant ( counting would be 4 in and 4 out )never vary when shooting . trigger on the down count 4 start to exhale take up first stage 3, 2, release shot as your saying 1 , inhale 1,2,3,4 etc.

Thanks. Good tips on the breathing methodology. Your rifle is also unbelievably accurate to achieve that many ‘X’s’ with a hold dead on the X ring.

Weekly TYC Leaderboard Update

Notable updates this week:
  • beerthief shot the 1st 200 20x in 2023 with his Feinwerkbau FWB600 10- meter target rifle!
Notable is that beerthief achieved this result with 7g flathead .177 target pellets at a modest 480fps velocity. He showed an excellent front and rear rest, and mentioned his breathing technique as part of the overall consistent “rhythm“ he applies to each shot. Also interesting is that because his rifle is a single stroke pneumatic (SSP) vs. the more modern pre charged pneumatic (PCP), he must remove his rifle from his rest and cock it between shots - putting even more demand on the setup for each shot.

We tend to use “high powered“ PCPs when shooting the 30 Yard Challenge, but perhaps tuning down into the 500 to 700fps range would serve us better for target shooting at 30 yards? When researching 10-meter rifles, I noted that current Feinwerkbau 10-meter rifles (PCPs) are delivered as .177 shooting at 565fps velocity. It makes you think…

C8C94A47-C8C2-4F73-8E5A-E6519CFD7B7E.jpeg

EF8EC4DF-6317-4362-BF67-B91387BEFE7F.jpeg

-Ed

Weekly TYC Leaderboard Update

Notable updates this week:
  • beerthief shot the 1st 200 20x in 2023 with his Feinwerkbau FWB600 10- meter target rifle!
Notable is that beerthief achieved this result with 7g flathead .177 target pellets at a modest 480fps velocity. He showed an excellent front and rear rest, and mentioned his breathing technique as part of the overall consistent “rhythm“ he applies to each shot. Also interesting is that because his rifle is a single stroke pneumatic (SSP) vs. the more modern pre charged pneumatic (PCP), he must remove his rifle from his rest and cock it between shots - putting even more demand on the setup for each shot.

We tend to use “high powered“ PCPs when shooting the 30 Yard Challenge, but perhaps tuning down into the 500 to 700fps range would serve us better for target shooting at 30 yards? When researching 10-meter rifles, I noted that current Feinwerkbau 10-meter rifles (PCPs) are delivered as .177 shooting at 565fps velocity. It makes you think…

View attachment 382941

View attachment 382942

-Ed
I like the "Hall of Aim" addition Ed! About evenly split between .177 and .22 calibers achieving 200 scores. I think 14 .177's and 15 .22's, if I counted correctly. A lot of good data compiled here for background, which is helpful for analysis.

I tend to agree that maybe slower is better for this 30 yard challenge. Or, at worst, it doesn't stop anyone from scoring a perfect score with a relatively low velocity compared to much of what we see on the forum.

I saw that Beer Thief removed his rifle after each shot to cock it, and now this becomes even more amazing to me! I still cannot get over how exact/perfect each of those shots are on the X ring.

This is going to put pressure on me to some day buy a .177. Not this year though!

I like the "Hall of Aim" addition Ed! About evenly split between .177 and .22 calibers achieving 200 scores. I think 14 .177's and 15 .22's, if I counted correctly. A lot of good data compiled here for background, which is helpful for analysis.

I tend to agree that maybe slower is better for this 30 yard challenge. Or, at worst, it doesn't stop anyone from scoring a perfect score with a relatively low velocity compared to much of what we see on the forum.

I saw that Beer Thief removed his rifle after each shot to cock it, and now this becomes even more amazing to me! I still cannot get over how exact/perfect each of those shots are on the X ring.

This is going to put pressure on me to some day buy a .177. Not this year though!
i think it is also the wadcutters flat head cuts such a clean hole , there is no doubt where it lands . just bought Norma match .22 flat head and H&N sport .22 in flat head .

Hi Beerthief,

Great target, it would be great if you could score it by eye - then I can add it to the leaderboard.

Once scored, I will add it to the PCP leaderboard, as your SSP air rifle is pneumatic - kind of a single pump PCP. Its not a spring piston rifle, so I think it fits better with the PCPs.

It would also be great if you could provide Pellet Brand, weight and velocity. Also cool would be if you could provide the Scope brand, model and magnification you used while shooting the target.

It looks like Targets 1,5,6,8 and 10 are the only possible 10s (depending on how you choose to score it). In any case, it looks like you score 200 - just the number of bulls (Xs) is up to how you score.

When you get a scoring plug, we can always update the score you provide.

Thanks,

Ed
bought a plug .177 with magnifier / Creedmoor Sports

I’ve got a leader board submission…

Had not shot the Dreamline Classic .177 in a month. Mounted a new Arken EPL-4 6x24 on it and shot 2 cards. First card was 191 9X - very breezy.

Second card was 198 16X - I submit for leader board as it has more Xs than my previous 198 with the Dreamline.

Wish I could reshoot Target pair #11 - I had a good string of 10s and Xs going into #11.

IMG_2720.jpeg

Shot a card at lunch today. Was excited to try Wolverine after reducing trigger pull weight from 11 to 7 ounces…

…shot a 199 only 12x - likely due to the fact I took one “zero test” shot and then shot the card. I should have listened to TommyB about taking more shots to confirm zero…

Instead, I have now shot 10 cards with the Wolverine R HP and 4 of the cards have been 199s… I should be able to get this rifle to 200… but now the wind has picked up and its back to work…

IMG_2721.jpeg

Very nice!

My Maverick is shooting like a shotgun now. I'm in serious diagnosis mode. It will group 3 pellets on top of eachother, then POI will change. I'm trying to adjust the parallax correctly again, but nowhere in the diopter range will it hold the reticle on target if i move my eye slightly to side. Tonight I need to recheck the torque settings on the rings. ugh. It can only get me to the mid to high 180's currently.

Florida_Man, I would also check other screws to be sure they are properly tightened. I think it has a couple brackets that clamp the barrel to the air tube like my P35s have. I would check those for sure.

Has it shot better previously? My P35-22 (my most accurate airgun) started giving me sub 190 scores and I decided to clean the barrel. I shot my one 200 after I cleaned the barrel.

Hello @beerthief

I am impressed and blow away :D by your success with Wadcutter Pellets at 30 yards. I have had good results with them at 10-meters but beyond 15-yards I have not been able to even shoot MOA. Like you, I am shooting with a lower pressure and around 500fps. Congratulations on a beautifully shot challenge target (y).

ThomasT

Hello @beerthief

I am impressed and blow away :D by your success with Wadcutter Pellets at 30 yards. I have had good results with them at 10-meters but beyond 15-yards I have not been able to even shoot MOA. Like you, I am shooting with a lower pressure and around 500fps. Congratulations on a beautifully shot challenge target (y).

ThomasT
thankyou the pellets i used were manufactured by H&N in 1970, i sent this picture to H&N and they replied . I bought a sleeve of 10 cans at Midwest show
IMG_1779.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT