30-Yard Challenge

thankyou the pellets i used were manufactured by H&N in 1970, i sent this picture to H&N and they replied . I bought a sleeve of 10 cans at Midwest showView attachment 383414
Hello again @beerthief

That is far out, 53-year old pellets. I would guess that the quality was extra good back in the day.

ThomasT

Hello again @beerthief

That is far out, 53-year old pellets. I would guess that the quality was extra good back in the day.

ThomasT
after shooting these, i weigh and gauged them exactly 7.0 and 4.50 for the 20 straight from the tin just like i shot the target .
i wonder if H&N still has the die and lead formula they used back then ?

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
after shooting these, i weigh and gauged them exactly 7.0 and 4.50 for the 20 straight from the tin just like i shot the target .
i wonder if H&N still has the die and lead formula they used back then ?
Hello again @beerthief

Have you compared the "insides" of the Old versa a new wadcutter, how the cavity looks, the shape of the skirt and thickness of the skirt.

I truly do not know, but I would guess that those "old" dies were worn out at some point and a new set was used as a replacement.

ThomasT

Reactions: beerthief
Hello again @beerthief

Have you compared the "insides" of the Old versa a new wadcutter, how the cavity looks, the shape of the skirt and thickness of the skirt.

I truly do not know, but I would guess that those "old" dies were worn out at some point and a new set was used as a replacement.

ThomasT
newest H&N wad is 7.87 or 8.67 a bit heavier , i will have to order some . New are also smooth not fluted skirts.

• Love
Florida_Man, I would also check other screws to be sure they are properly tightened. I think it has a couple brackets that clamp the barrel to the air tube like my P35s have. I would check those for sure.

Has it shot better previously? My P35-22 (my most accurate airgun) started giving me sub 190 scores and I decided to clean the barrel. I shot my one 200 after I cleaned the barrel.
It deteriorated and I cleaned the barrel first. It continued even after over a hundred pellets. My best was a 197 and it regularly shot 191-194 with the crosmans.
It was shooting consistently using the labradar. I will look again this weekend. With a newborn son I can only fit shooting time in on the weekends early in the morning while he and the wife sleep

Dang… last row cost me…

Had a shot at 200 when starting the last row, then last shot was a bit low to keep me at 199 - which would have been my best score with Dreamline shooting .177…

Eh, only 10X on this 198, I can do better, lol.

I’ve got the Dreamline trigger down to 7 ounces by swapping in a lighter spring - I think I can shoot this rifle better now.

IMG_2730.jpeg

Reactions: rc4fun and ThomasT
I may get flamed for this question, but here goes.

I have never had a.177 PCP. I know there are many good choices for 50Y and under target/pest shooting. I have seen great scores with .177 PCPs on this thread. I’m thinking of dipping my toe in the water.

I am not a tuner and while I don’t mind making easy HST adjustments, I would prefer an out of box 20 FPE or lower solution. Estimated price range is $1k - $2k. Can’t afford a Thomas😂

Recommend your best, and why. I can start a new thread also, if asked.

• Love
I only shoot under $500 airguns, at least so far. I have only one 177 and it is a P35. My best score with it is a 194. I once shot three targets 190 or more in a row with it. If you like bullpups I think it would be a good choice but unless you do a bit better on the "barrel lottery" I don't think you'll shoot a 200 with it. But if you get a barrel like my P35-22 you probably easily will. My 177 came tuned to about 19 fpe. It shoots 10-11 grain pellets about 900 fps. Gets about 100 shots per 250 bar fill. Regulated but changing the regulator means opening the airtube but you said you didn't want to tune. The hammer spring was not well matched to the regulator on any of my P35s but the 177 was particularly poor. I couldn't turn it down far enough so I shortened it. It's matched well now. Trigger will need adjustment and I polished the crown on my 177, it had obvious chatter marks. Made a wood stock for it too but that didn't help it's accuracy. I added a pic rail using an idea Ed in Ga came up with. 34mm scope ring to add a pic rail put on the airtube (with some tape as a shim, airtube is more like 33mm). Anyway, P35 is an inexpensive choice ($430) last I looked but it does need a bit of pretty simple tinkering IMHO. Trigger can be set to 1 lb or a little under but seems to vary several ounces from shot to shot. Very easy to turn down close to 1 lb, just back off the spring on the first stage (means turning one allen head set screw). Stoeger Bullshark is essentially the same gun with a 40mm longer barrel and different stock (bullshark is 490mm, P35 is 450).

I have never had a.177 PCP. I know there are many good choices for 50Y and under target/pest shooting. I have seen great scores with .177 PCPs on this thread. I’m thinking of dipping my toe in the water.

I am not a tuner and while I don’t mind making easy HST adjustments, I would prefer an out of box 20 FPE or lower solution. Estimated price range is $1k - $2k. Can’t afford a Thomas😂

Hello @tommyb

Tommy you know I have owned a bunch of .177's and been very fortunate to have had several great shooters. But with that said, the Brocock Commander XR was without a doubt the most accurate straight out of the box with NO tuning. Shooting 10.4gr pellets around 890fps stacked pellets time after time.

Good luck,
ThomasT

Edit: I would suggest that you start a new thread to get more replies.

In that price range I’d suggest an FX Dreamline Classic.

Its FX’s simplest rifle - and for pellet shooting, especially .177 and .22 - that makes it their best (IMHO).

I picked mine up used, with the fancy laminate stock, for $875. Used DL Classics are typically around 800-900 bucks.
Since FX doesn’t use a true barrel, the 500mm Classic in .177 is great - as the low pressures used to propel .177 doesn’t seem to create harmonic issues in the 500mm DL Classics.

Also, for the price point you could buy a couple extra .177 500mm liners, still be well within you price range and test the liners - keep the best one.

Cocking is ultra smooth. I can help you with the trigger (mine now at 7 ounces). I’m shooting at 838-843 fps, reg at 90-95. It consistently shoots 195+ with 10.3g FX pellets straight from the tin. Getting well over 100 shots (4+ cards) per fill. Rifle is very lightweight.

Hammer spring adjustment is super easy, remove stock, turn screw, replace stock, lol.

-Ed

I submit this for the leaderboard…

200 16X with Reximex Daystar .177
FX 10.3g @ 870-872 fps
Sightron SIII ED 36x target scope

I had not shot this unregulated rifle in a week or two. I picked it up, 1st card was 197 14x , second card is this 200. Filled to 200 bar, shot down to 150 bar across both cards - max fill is 230 bar, but extremely flat shot string if I fill to just 200.

Notice how close this was to 24 straight 10s or Xs - the 9 on Target #5 was a hair thickness from a 10.

TommyB got me thinking .177, so I’ve been shooting my .177 Dreamline the past couple days. However, this $500 rifle that I tuned and polished is consistently a bit better.

I previously shot a couple 199s with the Daystar, so while the 200 shouldn’t be a surprise for this rifle, I wasn’t even thinking about it - just enjoying how the rifle felt each shot.

-Ed

IMG_2735.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

IMG_2732.jpeg

IMG_2733.jpeg

I submit this for the leaderboard…

200 16X with Reximex Daystar .177
FX 10.3g @ 870-872 fps
Sightron SIII ED 36x target scope

I had not shot this unregulated rifle in a week or two. I picked it up, 1st card was 197 14x , second card is this 200. Filled to 200 bar, shot down to 150 bar across both cards - max fill is 230 bar, but extremely flat shot string if I fill to just 200.

Notice how close this was to 24 straight 10s or Xs - the 9 on Target #5 was a hair thickness from a 10.

TommyB got me thinking .177, so I’ve been shooting my .177 Dreamline the past couple days. However, this $500 rifle that I tuned and polished is consistently a bit better.

I previously shot a couple 199s with the Daystar, so while the 200 shouldn’t be a surprise for this rifle, I wasn’t even thinking about it - just enjoying how the rifle felt each shot.

-Ed

View attachment 383956

View attachment 383957

View attachment 383958

View attachment 383959
Hello @EPG

That is a NICE looking card (y)

ThomasT

Well ,Right off I'm sry about the ? I'm about to ask. BUT, there are alot,alot of posts. If I go to download the target. My printer will probably confiure it to a 8 1/2" X 11 sheet of paper. Does this change the ratio of the printed image? I'd love to see how my HW 97K compares.
Hello @HeyU
Click on this link to download the 30-Yard Challenge target. I designed it to fit on 8-1/2 x 11 paper and I included a "Scale" on the lower right side. Print one copy and then you can measure the scale on the copy and that will confirm if your printer made the correct size print. The "Scale" is 1", 1/2", 1/4".

ThomastT

View attachment 30-yard challenge target ii.pdf