30-Yard Challenge

Hello everyone,

Shooting conditions near perfect today and I have shot a lot of 25-Yard targets and really good scoring so I decided to set up the 30-Yard range. I had been shooting some Air Arms Diabolo Field Heavy 18gr so I zeroed the scope and shot the first 30 Yard Challenge Masters target and got a 194. Second target got a 197. Third target got a 184. So I switched to the JTS Dead Center 18.1gr, zeroed the scope and shot this target.

Ed I did use a .22cal Scoring Plug to get the X’s and the final score and I cannot remember if scoring plugs are allowed for the Masters. If they are not, I will withdraw this card and re-score it and submit a new card.

ThomasT

AiracudaMax22.00.26.jpg

Last edited:
Why would scoring plug not be allowed
Hello everyone,

Shooting conditions near perfect today and I have shot a lot of 25-Yard targets and really good scoring so I decided to set up the 30-Yard range. I had been shooting some Air Arms Diabolo Field Heavy 18gr so I zeroed the scope and shot the first 30 Yard Challenge Masters target and got a 194. Second target got a 197. Third target got a 184. So I switched to the JTS Dead Center 18.1gr, zeroed the scope and shot this target.

Ed I did use a .22cal Scoring Plug to get the X’s and the final score and I cannot remember if scoring plugs are allowed for the Masters. If they are not, I will withdraw this card and re-score it and submit a new card.

ThomasT

View attachment 401999
why would scoring plug not be allowed? I always use one to check my targets. Great score

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Why would scoring plug not be allowed

why would scoring plug not be allowed? I always use one to check my targets. Great score
Hello @oledawg and thank you,

In the past those of us that shot .177 caliber only were allowed to us the .22 cal Scoring Plug to make it equal to the .22 cal shooters. I shot this target with a .22 cal so I was not sure that a Plug could be used. The first 10-Ring on the number 2-Set is just barely a 10-score even with a plug 🤓.

ThomasT

Reactions: oledawg and EPG
Hello @oledawg and thank you,

In the past those of us that shot .177 caliber only were allowed to us the .22 cal Scoring Plug to make it equal to the .22 cal shooters. I shot this target with a .22 cal so I was not sure that a Plug could be used. The first 10-Ring on the number 2-Set is just barely a 10-score even with a plug 🤓.

ThomasT

Hi Thomas,

Great shooting!! And you are selling that Airacuda despite how well you shoot it !

I believe we have standardised on the .22 scoring plug - regardless of whether shooting .177 or .22 .

I believe I made the point a few posts back that you can even use the .22 plug for .25 caliber - as the .25 holes are tight enough on the plug (.22 and .25 are the closest size difference between major calibers).

So…. .22 scoring plug for everything!

-Ed

Hi Thomas,

Great shooting!! And you are selling that Airacuda despite how well you shoot it !

I believe we have standardised on the .22 scoring plug - regardless of whether shooting .177 or .22 .

I believe I made the point a few posts back that you can even use the .22 plug for .25 caliber - as the .25 holes are tight enough on the plug (.22 and .25 are the closest size difference between major calibers).

So…. .22 scoring plug for everything!

-Ed
Hello @EPG

Thank you Ed, I am sorry that I missed the info about the Plug but sure glad this card if OK. I was going to shoot some more Master Targets today but got sidetracked.

ThomasT

Last edited:
Reactions: oledawg
Hellp @EPG

Thank you Ed, I am sorry that I missed the info about the Plug but sure glad this card if OK. I was going to shoot some more Master Targets today but got sidetracked.

ThomasT
Yep me too. Wife had a Dr. appt, knee replacement 2.5 weeks ago, walking without a cane and up and down our 14 stairs. After the visit needed to make pellet trap version 3, shooting tomorrow after another Dr. appt.

• Love
I shot a 182 or 185 with the cheap snowpeak pellets in some windy conditions. I’m not doing an official entry. The wind has been swirling and nuts here. I’m just trying to wear the rifle in a little.

I’m really happy with the low cheap piece that’s 3d printed, my eye lines up a lot better. I haven’t had a chance to adjust the hammer spring. I get about an hour a day if my wife lets me (newborn son.)

I’m having fun shooting it. Hopefully in a few days the wind will calm and I can shoot my Revere with the new to me Sightron 36x on top.

For pesting/plinking this Hawke Airmax 3-12 really works well with the P35.

IMG_0456.jpeg

I had enough time to mount the Sightron 36x with Vector adjustable elevation rings. I sighted in at 13 yards. I made a mistake reading Chairgun. I’ll have to do it again at 24y which looks about the same as 30. Just trying to minimize wind in my zero. Hopefully I have time later and conditions are good. The wind has gone down and seems from one direction now.

I love the 1/8 moa adjustment #8 was my last shot

103-huntsman.jpg

11-03-2023-10-13-14-AM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
I had enough time to mount the Sightron 36x with Vector adjustable elevation rings. I sighted in at 13 yards. I made a mistake reading Chairgun. I’ll have to do it again at 24y which looks about the same as 30. Just trying to minimize wind in my zero. Hopefully I have time later and conditions are good. The wind has gone down and seems from one direction now.

I love the 1/8 moa adjustment #8 was my last shot

103-huntsman.jpg

11-03-2023-10-13-14-AM.jpg

Using that Sightron 36x on a Revere is like gasoline on a fire - hot combination!!

• Haha
Its so darn windy here that I can’t target shoot… so gotta do something airgun at lunch - let’s dial in the PowerPup now that I slapped a .22 barrel on it.

Leaving the hammer spring adjuster dial on 13 (dead middle), I played with reg pressure up & down until I got it shooting:
15.89s at 905 fps
18.13s at 865 fps
21.14s at 825 fps

Shot 3 5-shot groups back-to-back-to-back - switching pellets after each group.

All three groups measured UNDER 1/2” at 30 yards - in a freaking windstorm, lol. (Red circles measure 1/2” edge to edge)

This PowerPup is a shooter. The trigger is so lame as it defies description, my Gauntlet trigger is way better. However, both .25 and now .22 FX “barrels” have been really accurate on this platform. Trigger will be a winter project - wait till I show you guys pictures of the linkage - you will laugh.

Reg pressure wound up just under 100 bar - according to FX gauge. This thing has a monster 80cc plenum - overkill for pellet shooting.

-Ed

IMG_3183.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg

IMG_3181.jpeg

• Love
191 9x with the Revere

I worked in time to shoot, unfortunately it’s still windy here. The rifle is shooting 10.3 grain pellets 860 fps. I have all the variations of the pellet in that weight. I’ve been shooting the Air Arms ones first. After I shot today’s card I decided to clean the barrel. I usually do this with all new rifles, but didn’t with this one. I guess I figured it’s a Daystate, so I really need to? Haha. After shooting the card I also adjusted to cheek riser to better fit my face. I was so excited to shoot i got straight to that. Only when I was done and had a little more time did I do these other things.

It’s also clear I need to firm up my shooting bench. With the 36x I can see how much I’m moving. I only have a portable plastic bench. I might take the feet caps off and sink it into the lawn a little when I shoot.

IMG_0494.jpeg

Reactions: EPG and ThomasT
191 9x with the Revere

I worked in time to shoot, unfortunately it’s still windy here. The rifle is shooting 10.3 grain pellets 860 fps. I have all the variations of the pellet in that weight. I’ve been shooting the Air Arms ones first. After I shot today’s card I decided to clean the barrel. I usually do this with all new rifles, but didn’t with this one. I guess I figured it’s a Daystate, so I really need to? Haha. After shooting the card I also adjusted to cheek riser to better fit my face. I was so excited to shoot i got straight to that. Only when I was done and had a little more time did I do these other things.

It’s also clear I need to firm up my shooting bench. With the 36x I can see how much I’m moving. I only have a portable plastic bench. I might take the feet caps off and sink it into the lawn a little when I shoot.

View attachment 402795

Hi Chris

You’re on the exact right track Chris.

All new guns ( even Daystates ) need to be cleaned thoroughly before you shoot for ant type of meaningful accuracy assessment, especially these minuscule 10 rings! I use Gunzilla and find it is excellent at removing visible lead sediments on my patches.

Adjusting the cheek riser, and especially solidifying your portable bench will help greatly to steady your reticle. The trigger normally comes set at 8-10 oz from Daystate.

You are going to love this platform!

I shot some 40 yard Masters cards yesterday, and will post pics later today.

Tom

• Love
Went out to the local outdoor range Friday, and weather was cold but wind was very still and/or light.

First pass at shooting the 40Y Masters Cards ( i.e., boy, do I miss those mulligans ), and it is extremely difficult to hit that tiny 10 ring with any consistency. I shot five cards, and did not post the 179 card. However, I did indicate on each card how many "8's, "7's or "6's" I shot on each card to show where the problem bulls where for me this day.

I will submit the 192 card below for this week, but to be honest, I think it will be exceedingly difficult for me to shoot a 200 at 40 yards; and especially with no mulligans. Not being a pessimist, just reflecting what is reality for me here. This is very humbling, and hard to break 190 for me anyway. I can't imagine even trying this with moderate wind.

One idea for consideration: If we made the "9" ring the equivalent of a "10" ring, it might make this a bit more friendly, but not sure what the troops think either. That might be too easy. Alternatively, make the 10 ring a bit larger or bring back one or two mulligans and leave the rings "as is."

Or, just leave the 40 yard target "as is" and wait for all those 200's to roll in.

:)

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Hi TommyB and TYC Shooters,

Awesome 192 @ 40 yard Masters with that RAW Tommy! Keep at it - top my 193 and we will keep pushing each other…

We are “trailblazers” here. Because our target is consistent - we have measurable data. The data not only shows what is possible with various air rifle & ammo combinations, but it also shows when you are improving.

Look around the rest of these forums and you see cherry picked “groups” - “I shot this group at 100 yards in a Hurricane with my eyes closed…. Blah blah blah…”

Groups mean squat. Yesterday I shot some 30 & 40 yard groups with the .22 PowerPup - because it was too freaking windy to target shoot. My last 5-shot group at 40 using H&N 21g measured .32” edge to edge - .10” ctc. (See photo) We’ll see how that translates into a Masters Score at 40 yards today (hopefully).

I posted Leaderboards for 40 yards - as motivation for everyone to try. However, those were my best scores…

… here is reality - ALL my scores for rifles that I’ve tried at 40. There are also my 30 yard Masters scores for a couple rifles included - to contrast the difference between 30 and 40.

Just my opinion, but 25 to 50 yards is where air gunning is “at”. I’ve shot out to 100 yards many times - it gets to be a wind “guessing” game at those longer distances - even if you release a perfect shot, it can get blown completely off target . Our challenge distances are a good balance of skill vs. wind guessing.

Do you guys record your TYC data like I do?

-Ed

DL Classic.jpeg

DL PP 25.jpeg

Wolverine.jpeg

Prophet 25.jpeg

Prophet 22.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tommyb
Hi TommyB and TYC Shooters,

Awesome 192 @ 40 yard Masters with that RAW Tommy! Keep at it - top my 193 and we will keep pushing each other…

We are “trailblazers” here. Because our target is consistent - we have measurable data. The data not only shows what is possible with various air rifle & ammo combinations, but it also shows when you are improving.

Look around the rest of these forums and you see cherry picked “groups” - “I shot this group at 100 yards in a Hurricane with my eyes closed…. Blah blah blah…”

Groups mean squat. Yesterday I shot some 30 & 40 yard groups with the .22 PowerPup - because it was too freaking windy to target shoot. My last 5-shot group at 40 using H&N 21g measured .32” edge to edge - .10” ctc. (See photo) We’ll see how that translates into a Masters Score at 40 yards today (hopefully).

I posted Leaderboards for 40 yards - as motivation for everyone to try. However, those were my best scores…

… here is reality - ALL my scores for rifles that I’ve tried at 40. There are also my 30 yard Masters scores for a couple rifles included - to contrast the difference between 30 and 40.

Just my opinion, but 25 to 50 yards is where air gunning is “at”. I’ve shot out to 100 yards many times - it gets to be a wind “guessing” game at those longer distances - even if you release a perfect shot, it can get blown completely off target . Our challenge distances are a good balance of skill vs. wind guessing.

Do you guys record your TYC data like I do?

-Ed

View attachment 402928

View attachment 402929

View attachment 402930

View attachment 402931

View attachment 402932

View attachment 402933

Thanks Ed.

I don’t track my rifle scores, but I do save all my cards. Then, throw them out when the stack gets too high and the Admiral gets after me. 😀

I do know my best scores with each rifle, but your spreadsheet analysis is the way to measure effectiveness.

The 7’s and 8’s are tricky. I normally can tell if it is me messing up, but sometimes I really don’t know 100% if it is wind or a bad pellet. It’s OK, I’m still not going to sort and size for the 30y and 40y challenge. Too much of a hassle and time, so I can’t complain about pellets and I accept that. If I was shooting 100y EBR, RMAC, etc; then I would sort and size.

I will cherry pick my no/slight wind days for the 40Y Masters, and I want to try the Royale and Revere.

• Love
Went out to the local outdoor range Friday, and weather was cold but wind was very still and/or light.

First pass at shooting the 40Y Masters Cards ( i.e., boy, do I miss those mulligans ), and it is extremely difficult to hit that tiny 10 ring with any consistency. I shot five cards, and did not post the 179 card. However, I did indicate on each card how many "8's, "7's or "6's" I shot on each card to show where the problem bulls where for me this day.

I will submit the 192 card below for this week, but to be honest, I think it will be exceedingly difficult for me to shoot a 200 at 40 yards; and especially with no mulligans. Not being a pessimist, just reflecting what is reality for me here. This is very humbling, and hard to break 190 for me anyway. I can't imagine even trying this with moderate wind.

One idea for consideration: If we made the "9" ring the equivalent of a "10" ring, it might make this a bit more friendly, but not sure what the troops think either. That might be too easy. Alternatively, make the 10 ring a bit larger or bring back one or two mulligans and leave the rings "as is."

Or, just leave the 40 yard target "as is" and wait for all those 200's to roll in.

:)

View attachment 402910

View attachment 402911
Hello @tommyb

You are underestimating yourself, so don't ever give up. Seen too may of your shot paper targets to know that on the right day you will get that 200.

I don't have to tell anybody that has ever tried shooting the Original 30-Yard Challenge target that "man it is HARD", but a really good challenge and a ton of fun. Shooting the Master Target is just a whole lot harder.

ThomasT

My 1st two cards today - trying the PowerPup .22 with 21g H&Ns at 40 yards.

1st card was a regular card and I was forcing things. This PowerPup is very lightweight and therefore a bit jumpy. Also, the FX moderator that seems glued on is loud - which makes me a bit jumpy, lol.

The second card is a Masters - I used a much lighter hold and “trusted” the rifle more. I finished the last two rows really strong - even had a string of 4 consecutive Xs!

Never used H&N 21g on the TYC before, but they seem a nice, consistent pellet.

I’m liking 189 and especially 9Xs at 40 Masters - I know I can do better, still getting used to the PP.

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3201.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

My 1st two cards today - trying the PowerPup .22 with 21g H&Ns at 40 yards.

1st card was a regular card and I was forcing things. This PowerPup is very lightweight and therefore a bit jumpy. Also, the FX moderator that seems glued on is loud - which makes me a bit jumpy, lol.

The second card is a Masters - I used a much lighter hold and “trusted” the rifle more. I finished the last two rows really strong - even had a string of 4 consecutive Xs!

Never used H&N 21g on the TYC before, but they seem a nice, consistent pellet.

I’m liking 189 and especially 9Xs at 40 Masters - I know I can do better, still getting used to the PP.

View attachment 402972

View attachment 402973

View attachment 402974
Hello @EPG

That is some good shooting at 40-yards.

ThomasT