30-Yard Challenge

Hello @EPG

That is some good shooting at 40-yards.

ThomasT

I’m improving as we go Thomas.

I shot a 187 10X on my 3rd card - 40 Masters with the H&N 21g.

Then I swapped the shroud for my original .22 shroud that the .22 liner came with - it doesn’t have a .25 caliber moderator glued on. So I popped on a Huma Mod 30 - much quieter.

Then I shot another 40 yard Masters - rezeroed for 18.13g FX… shot this 188 12X.

12X at 40 Masters! I’m getting excited - gonna shoot one more card as the wind conditions keep improving.

IMG_3204.jpeg

I’m improving as we go Thomas.

I shot a 187 10X on my 3rd card - 40 Masters with the H&N 21g.

Then I swapped the shroud for my original .22 shroud that the .22 liner came with - it doesn’t have a .25 caliber moderator glued on. So I popped on a Huma Mod 30 - much quieter.

Then I shot another 40 yard Masters - rezeroed for 18.13g FX… shot this 188 12X.

12X at 40 Masters! I’m getting excited - gonna shoot one more card as the wind conditions keep improving.

View attachment 403016
New rule (wife and I always come up with new rules for dominoes) anyway. Master target shot at 40 yds is allowed to substitute a sighter for any low scoring single bulleyes.

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT
Hello @tommyb

You are underestimating yourself, so don't ever give up. Seen too may of your shot paper targets to know that on the right day you will get that 200.

I don't have to tell anybody that has ever tried shooting the Original 30-Yard Challenge target that "man it is HARD", but a really good challenge and a ton of fun. Shooting the Master Target is just a whole lot harder.

ThomasT

Fair points Thomas. Agree with both statements. I thought the 30Y Masters was hard, until Ed devised the 40y. 😀

Fair points Thomas. Agree with both statements. I thought the 30Y Masters was hard, until Ed devised the 40y. 😀
Good morning @tommyb

Lets face it, anytime one of us gets lucky enough to score a 200 with a pellet gun it is truly a lot of good luck 😂 . Taking everything into consideration, the gun, the pellets :( ( even if you size and weigh ), the wind, etc., etc, everything really has to be on your side :D. However with that stated, if you are persistent enough and use good shooting procedures then you can expect to score well. It has already been stated by many here on this thread, but this Challenge has help a lot of us to improve a great deal in our shooting abilities. I have improved my technique by a whole lot. Shooting conditions also are a BIG part of our scores. I am very fortunate to have a big heavy wood Benchrest inside my house and able to shoot with really great "controlled" conditions.

ThomasT

@ThomasT
I feel the same as you. This thread is one of the havens on the forum that’s about marksmanship. Where the rubber hits the road. It’s about self growth with group support. No BS.
Hello @Florida_Man

Ever since @igolfat8 , Tim, invited me to join this crazy group it has been a hoot and I have improved on my shoot 😂 😁:ROFLMAO::p

ThomasT

Do any of you impose a time limit (like at a bench match ? I do not ,and most people say i take my time ) Last bench match i shot i only shot 2/3 of the bulls and timed out .

25 bulls in 30 minutes is standard time i think .
I have a wife imposed time limit. Hahah. I’ve been trying to get it in while she takes our son for a walk in the evening. I also like popping steel in that time, so it’s a time crunch.

Do any of you impose a time limit (like at a bench match ? I do not ,and most people say i take my time ) Last bench match i shot i only shot 2/3 of the bulls and timed out .

Hello @beerthief

I do not, in fact I get up a lot of times when I have only shot a few times at one target just to re-compose myself. Also if my magazine holds just ten pellets, I shoot the ten and stop to refill the mag. Yes I have 3 mags but this is a "planed" break for me.

ThomasT

Hello @beerthief

I do not, in fact I get up a lot of times when I have only shot a few times at one target just to re-compose myself. Also if my magazine holds just ten pellets, I shoot the ten and stop to refill the mag. Yes I have 3 mags but this is a "planed" break for me.

ThomasT
I don't use mag's two of my guns have mag's but they are still in the sealed plastic in the hard case and in the shipping box .

Just for kicks, I shoot 20 minutes max per card. I think N50 has the same time limit, but not sure. I shoot a bit too quickly, and I am trying to slow it down a bit. I use both SST and magazines, and if windy I will lean towards mags to take advantage of quick changes in wind conditions. I seldom go to 20 minutes, just force of habit.

The use of an SST forces me to pay attention to technique and keeps me focused on the fundamentals.

I don’t think there is a time limit take your time. I impose a 20 minute limit because I shoot matches that have that limit

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Without daylight savings time, it’s getting hard to see by 4:30pm.

I did get in one card - a 40 yard Masters with the RTI Prophet V1 .22 — 189 8X.

I feel I’m on the verge of a breakout - perhaps into the 194-95 range @ 40 Masters with both the DreamPup and the .22 Prophet. 10 of my last 11 40-yard Masters cards with the Prophet are all in 187-192 range. Perhaps some minor tweaking of velocity with hammer spring…?

It’s supposed to be 65 degrees tomorrow, perhaps last day in the 60s this year. Gotta get the Prophet aired up for lunchtime targets - maybe the Wolverine and PowerPup too.

IMG_3208.jpeg

196 13x. Air Arms pellets seem to be what it likes. The JSB 10.3 and FX 10.3 have both scored in the high 180's at best.
A few flyers, but I'm just shooting straight from the tin unwashed.

We see Florida_Man is getting the hang of that Daystate…

… if that flyer “6” was a good pellet and a ‘10’ - you would be at 198 already.

Good shootin’