30-Yard Challenge

Nice card Florida_Man !

I’m jealous. The weather is darn cold here, and the change to colder temps has brought a lot of wind with it.

I got back from the Texas shore Sunday and shot two 30 Masters cards late Sunday with the .177 Prophet using 13.4g FX.

Scores were 181 7X and then a nice 189 8X despite low 40s and significan wind.

Today I shot one 30 Masters - same rifle and pellet. It was so windy the it blew my entire target off the stand - and it was double clamped. I shot 184 4X with only 3 eights. One of the 8s was a borderline 9. The vertical dispersion was really good considering the conditions - basically the wind pushing them just left or right was the only issue.

I’d like to think this shooting in the wind is making me a better shooter, but it doesn’t feel that way - feels like I’m just guessing. I do better if I don’t hold outside the 9-ring lately.

-Ed

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT
197 is a very good card Florida_Man.

I do think shooting in the wind does make us better shooters, but only to a certain degree. For me personally, I seldom will bother with a 30 or 40Y challenge card session if the wind is greater than 4 mph. So, I cherry pick my range days.

I just can’t seem to hold accurately enough ( or more to the point, ‘guess’ my ring hold). I do better with predicting horizontal holds, terrible at vertical.

• Love
If I get bored enough I shoot in wind too but I'm trying to shoot less to not scare the squirrels away. I've never shot a respectible score in windy weather.

I think any target above 195 makes 200 a very definite possibility. I shot 3 199s with my P35-22 before I finally got a 200, however. At least in my case, there is some luck involved. But your skill has to get you to the point you don't need too much luck. A 197 certainly shows good skills.

• Love
Reactions: EPG and ThomasT
I think any target above 195 makes 200 a very definite possibility. I shot 3 199s with my P35-22 before I finally got a 200, however. At least in my case, there is some luck involved. But your skill has to get you to the point you don't need too much luck. A 197 certainly shows good skills.

I agree JimmyD, once you have the rifle getting to 195+ - then a 200 is definitely always a possibility. (always a bit of luck involved in a 200 – especially if shooting pellets straight from the tin).

Florida_Man definitely has the skills to get that Daystate with Lothar Walther ART barrel to 200 – most barrels seem to take at least a tin a pellets (500 shots) to really break in – but that could just be my imagination.

Another thing that helps is to keep shooting the same rifle. I tend to keep switching rifles, and it takes a while to get back to the “feel” where you are shooting it well…

….for example, earlier this summer I had a streak of 10 or 11 straight 30-Yard Challenge cards of 196 or better with the Daystate Wolverine. I doubt that I could pick it up today and immediately shoot 195 with it – heck I’d hope for low 190s – because I have not shot that rifle much in the past few months, and have not shot 30 yards with it probably since late August.

-Ed

• Love
I’m not in the mood to sort pellets for awhile, so I’m going with luck of the draw.
I tried some 13.43 gr JSB’s to see what they had. I turned the hammer spring up 1/2 a turn. It was a 195, but I thought it was better. I felt the consistency was a little better. I’ll post a picture of the target later.
Hi Guys,
Florida Man hit on one of the things I have been trying to sort out for myself - is it worth it to sort pellets? After weighing, sorting by head size, shooting, recording muzzle velocity and point of impact for about 500 pellets I can say that I found no indication that head size or weight made any noticeable difference in POI. I have a bunch of graphs from my data I could show, but it would be kind of boring as there are no trends to be seen. I tried sorting by pellet score and there was no real trend. I just watch a video by "HFT Shooter" in the UK (below) who did something similar and came to the same conclusion.
So this past season in Field Target - Hunter I did not sort pellets. I loaded the pellets into my Stud Loader spare mags where I could see the skirts, got rid of the badly damage ones (very few) and then I dumped them into my pellet pouch as I use a single shot loader. I did really well this season and I can say that all of my misses were on me, not on any pellets.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Greg

• Love
I have noticed IF i sort i am more conscious in my shooting . SO i don't know if it is the sorting or the conscious shooting . scores are not far enough apart to see a difference .

Hi Beerthief,

Perhaps you are on to something – anything that gets you to concentrate more may have a positive impact on score…

As an example, attached is my best 40-Yard Masters card of the season – with any of my rifles – it is a 193 11X (could even be higher – look at the last three 9s I shot – all are darn close to a 10 if not actually a 10, lol).

Note that I shot a bunch of sighters. Those that know me are aware that I don’t usually allow myself ANY sighters once I start the card. So, it appears that I was really concentrating on this card – likely I could tell it was going to be a good score – and I even started shooting a few sighters mid-card to stay zoned in.

193 is my high score on either 40-Masters or 40-Challenge cards – except for that 197 amazing freak 40-Challenge card with the Wolverine. That 197 had to be so lucky as I had all my “bad” shots on the two target pairs that I crossed off.

So, I think that staying focused is the key – whether you gain it by sorting pellets, shooting more sighters, or any other means (bourbon, coffee…lol).

-Ed

PP 193 40-Masters.jpeg

Hi Guys,
Florida Man hit on one of the things I have been trying to sort out for myself - is it worth it to sort pellets? After weighing, sorting by head size, shooting, recording muzzle velocity and point of impact for about 500 pellets I can say that I found no indication that head size or weight made any noticeable difference in POI. I have a bunch of graphs from my data I could show, but it would be kind of boring as there are no trends to be seen. I tried sorting by pellet score and there was no real trend. I just watch a video by "HFT Shooter" in the UK (below) who did something similar and came to the same conclusion.
So this past season in Field Target - Hunter I did not sort pellets. I loaded the pellets into my Stud Loader spare mags where I could see the skirts, got rid of the badly damage ones (very few) and then I dumped them into my pellet pouch as I use a single shot loader. I did really well this season and I can say that all of my misses were on me, not on any pellets.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Greg

Hello @NAProf

This is good information from you and appreciate all the various test that you do.

ThomasT

I tried sorting 177 and 22 grain pellets for weight and could not see any difference in my scores. I also tried single loading my 25 caliber versus using a stock SPA magazine and couldn't see a difference either - but that gun is not very accurate. On my better scores with the P35-22 I was using pellets straight from the tin into a Carm magazine and then out the gun. I also tried head size sorting on the P35-177 and couldn't improve scores. I did find that two tins of Crosman 10.5 grain pellets with very inconsistent head sizes shot much worse than a tin of Crosman 10.5s that had consistent head size (or my preferred H&N Baracuda Match). So I sorted the "bad" tins. Didn't help. My conclusion is that the "bad" tins have other flaws in manufacture that are not easily visible.

I also agree that shooting is at least as much mental as it is physical. If you think something helps it may very well help - you. Maybe sorting pellets would help more if I liked doing it.

For you Southern TYC Shooters,

It was 32F here in Connecticut today…and breezy.

As it was cold, I figured I’d only shoot one card… it was a 180 3X 30-Masters with the Prophet .177… worried about my hands freezing…

…my hands and mind were numb when I scored the 1st card – I actually wrote 40 yards on it initially – felt like a 40-Yard score.

…then I said to myself “what kind of sissy TYC Shooter are ya – toughen up!”

… so I put up another 30-Masters card and came back with a 190 7X. That’s what I’m talkin’ about !! (I was amped enough I even talked my girl into coming outside to take my picture).

…”Ya Gotta Wanna”…

-Ed

GottaWanna.jpeg

Freezing Cards.jpeg

For you Southern TYC Shooters,

It was 32F here in Connecticut today…and breezy.

As it was cold, I figured I’d only shoot one card… it was a 180 3X 30-Masters with the Prophet .177… worried about my hands freezing…

…my hands and mind were numb when I scored the 1st card – I actually wrote 40 yards on it initially – felt like a 40-Yard score.

…then I said to myself “what kind of sissy TYC Shooter are ya – toughen up!”

… so I put up another 30-Masters card and came back with a 190 7X. That’s what I’m talkin’ about !! (I was amped enough I even talked my girl into coming outside to take my picture).

…”Ya Gotta Wanna”…

-Ed

View attachment 410895

View attachment 410896
Hello @EPG

Well that is just too cold for me. However that is good shooting under the conditions (y)

ThomasT

Reactions: beerthief
It was in the 30s this morning when I went out to try and figure out what pellet I want to shoot in my re-tuned P35-25. I shot at least half a dozen 5 shot groups but it was unpleasant and windy so it was hard to tell much. I did figure out that my new tripod chrony matches my barrel mount exactly. Late this afternoon it was in the 50s and I shot some pretty good groups for that gun with JSB 33.95s. But repeatedly a single flier would open things up. More testing to come. If I could eliminate the fliers it has potential. Could be me, of course.

It was in the 30s this morning when I went out to try and figure out what pellet I want to shoot in my re-tuned P35-25. I shot at least half a dozen 5 shot groups but it was unpleasant and windy so it was hard to tell much. I did figure out that my new tripod chrony matches my barrel mount exactly. Late this afternoon it was in the 50s and I shot some pretty good groups for that gun with JSB 33.95s. But repeatedly a single flier would open things up. More testing to come. If I could eliminate the fliers it has potential. Could be me, of course.
Give yourself some credit! It’s the pellets! Haha. Both my P35 and Cricket liked the FX 34 grains more than the JSB MkI and MkII

Hi Beerthief,

Perhaps you are on to something – anything that gets you to concentrate more may have a positive impact on score…

As an example, attached is my best 40-Yard Masters card of the season – with any of my rifles – it is a 193 11X (could even be higher – look at the last three 9s I shot – all are darn close to a 10 if not actually a 10, lol).

Note that I shot a bunch of sighters. Those that know me are aware that I don’t usually allow myself ANY sighters once I start the card. So, it appears that I was really concentrating on this card – likely I could tell it was going to be a good score – and I even started shooting a few sighters mid-card to stay zoned in.

193 is my high score on either 40-Masters or 40-Challenge cards – except for that 197 amazing freak 40-Challenge card with the Wolverine. That 197 had to be so lucky as I had all my “bad” shots on the two target pairs that I crossed off.

So, I think that staying focused is the key – whether you gain it by sorting pellets, shooting more sighters, or any other means (bourbon, coffee…lol).

-Ed

View attachment 410567

Ed

A 193-11x is a great 30y “normal” card. At 40y, with no mulligans, out of sight!