30-Yard Challenge

Hello @tommyb

OK new rule for the 30 Yard Challenge: o_O

Anybody shooting with a RAW must hit the Bull TWO times :ROFLMAO:

ThomasT

Hey Thomas,

Actually, the RAW does have a competitive advantage of sorts. It is a .22 HP and does shoot the 25.39 at 940 FPS, but the shooter is always the ‘wild card’ with these great guns.

The JTS pellets shot better than JSB today.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Ed

A 193-11x is a great 30y “normal” card. At 40y, with no mulligans, out of sight!

Thanks TommyB.

You can’t submit a 197 for your RAW because you already have a 200 on the leaderboard with that RAW - shot on July 27th.

So, before I started to understand how tough the 40-Yard Challenge was, I was shooting an average of over 198 with the Wolverine HP for 10+ cards. It was almost boring so I shot stuck a TYC card at 40 yards and shot a 190 9X on my first try.

Not bad I thought, so I put up another card at forty and shot this 197 12X (!).

Scored 189 and 185 on my next couple 40 yard cards with the Wolverine and then stopped shooting it. It’s awesome for accuracy and pretty, but just isn’t my favorite rifle to shoot.

Damn, I didn’t realize at the time just how insane a 197 at 40 yards is. Conditions were really nice on those nights. Now its cold and always breezy here.

This 197 may stand as my best score till next spring. Wish I could go back to those nights now - I’d get in more 40 cards with Wolfie.

-Ed

197 Wolverine at 40.jpeg

• Love
Interesting how velocity really impacts accuracy with .177 FX 13.4g pellets…

Wind conditions were a bit better today than they have been – and temps got all the way up to 50F.

My 1st 30-Yard Masters card of today with .177 Prophet and 13.4g was a 190 8X – nice. I had been shooting the 13.4s at about 855fps.

I started the 2nd Masters card and bumped the velocity up slightly (to about 870) after the first couple targets – thinking that might help. Immediately the next 3 targets were worse. So, I turned the hammer spring adjuster about ¼ turn out to lower velocity to about 825fps – immediately I started hitting Xs and 10s !

Card #2 wound up as 192 11X – really nice!! Especially since I was cranking the hammer spring up & down during the card, lol.

The last 12 targets were so good on Card 2 that I had a shoot a couple more cards:
196 13X - Card 3
196 14X - Card 4

Back to back 196 30-Masters cards !!

So, it appears that the 13.4g “monster” pellets in .177 seem to like lower velocity – where the 25.4g Monsters in .22 caliber seem to like higher (950+ fps) velocity.

Don’t know if anyone else here has experience with the FX / JSB 13.4g. I’ll check the leaderboard to see if anyone posted a high score with the 13.4s and what velocity they were using.

So, it appears sometimes slower is better with the “monsters”…

The last 196 14X it started raining – the Prophet got wet, but kept on hitting Xs !

-Ed

PP 177 Velocity Tweaking.jpeg

IMG_3356.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

IMG_3358.jpeg

The 13.43gr are showing some promise. 195 13x. It was getting difficult in the setting sun. I start at 1 and go across and down and so forth. I shot a different target and was on the money with test shots. Having the first shot land in the 7 was crushing. I know it had to be the pellet because the light was still good and everything felt right. The 2 box was rushed before the rifle was settled right, so it was all on me. And my shooting buddy, Jetty, had to add a little drama by eating some grass and letting it do its thing. I was happy to get a card in today.

Nice shooting Ed! I'll try and chrono mine this weekend

Last edited:
Interesting how velocity really impacts accuracy with .177 FX 13.4g pellets…

Wind conditions were a bit better today than they have been – and temps got all the way up to 50F.

My 1st 30-Yard Masters card of today with .177 Prophet and 13.4g was a 190 8X – nice. I had been shooting the 13.4s at about 855fps.

I started the 2nd Masters card and bumped the velocity up slightly (to about 870) after the first couple targets – thinking that might help. Immediately the next 3 targets were worse. So, I turned the hammer spring adjuster about ¼ turn out to lower velocity to about 825fps – immediately I started hitting Xs and 10s !

Card #2 wound up as 192 11X – really nice!! Especially since I was cranking the hammer spring up & down during the card, lol.

The last 12 targets were so good on Card 2 that I had a shoot a couple more cards:
196 13X - Card 3
196 14X - Card 4

Back to back 196 30-Masters cards !!

So, it appears that the 13.4g “monster” pellets in .177 seem to like lower velocity – where the 25.4g Monsters in .22 caliber seem to like higher (950+ fps) velocity.

Don’t know if anyone else here has experience with the FX / JSB 13.4g. I’ll check the leaderboard to see if anyone posted a high score with the 13.4s and what velocity they were using.

So, it appears sometimes slower is better with the “monsters”…

The last 196 14X it started raining – the Prophet got wet, but kept on hitting Xs !

-Ed

View attachment 411405

View attachment 411406

View attachment 411407

View attachment 411408
Hello @EPG

Ed, my Crown shot the very best with the 13's at around the 840's. I will look back and try and find that information.

ThomasT

Ed,
I pretty much only shoot the Fx 13.4's in my Crown MkII in .177. I think it was sometime this Spring I was searching for the best pellet for the Crown in HFT. Shot all the name brand 10 grainers and the two types of 13.4 grainers. The 13.4's have a max velocity of about 820 to keep them under 20FPE for competition. The 10 grainers is more like 920fps. The 13.4's outshot all of the 10 grainers (based on 30yd Challenge targets) even though the 10's shoot flatter (good for Field Target). The two types of 13.4 are the old JSB Monsters and the JSB Redesigned monsters. My Crown likes the old ones better and the FX 13.4's are the old design and are very consistent in size and weight. So I shoot them at 820 or so fps.
When I got my second Crown this summer (with a 380mm barrel) I tried the FX 13.4's in that and decided to try shooting them in the 860-880 fps range. They were not nearly as accurate. I tuned down to 820 and that rifle started clocking 190's and two digit x's.
An interesting side note - I shot my first 40 yd card yesterday in very light winds. Not very pretty (180-9x), but a decent number of x's. I noticed on the bad misses that the pellets were spiraling. I also correlated that to wind puffs. So the next time it isn't rainy and cold I am going to try the 40 yd card shooting in the high 700 fps to see if I can get rid of the spirals.

Cheers,
Greg

• Love
Funny that we both went to 13.43 on the same day. I’m guessing mine are going a little over 800. This Revere doesn’t like the 13.43 redesigns at all.

I’ve been using them since I stuck the .177 barrel on one of my Prophets a couple weeks ago. I’ve since bought more tins of the FX 13.4 - as the Prophet is shooting them well.

I have one tin of the redesigned 13.4s. The Prophet seems to shoot those well too - but I’ll let you know once I shoot a few cards with them.

Up till now, I’ve always believed the 10.3g JSB/AA/FX pellet was awesome- always shoots well. The new H&N 9.57 FT is incredible, but hard to find.

I also have had good luck with the H&N 10.65g - but never had a .177 rifle that didn’t shoot the 10.3g well.

The Prophet.177 barrel is Lothar Walther - 510mm long.

I’ve been using them since I stuck the .177 barrel on one of my Prophets a couple weeks ago. I’ve since bought more tins of the FX 13.4 - as the Prophet is shooting them well.

I have one tin of the redesigned 13.4s. The Prophet seems to shoot those well too - but I’ll let you know once I shoot a few cards with them.

Up till now, I’ve always believed the 10.3g JSB/AA/FX pellet was awesome- always shoots well. The new H&N 9.57 FT is incredible, but hard to find.

I also have had good luck with the H&N 10.65g - but never had a .177 rifle that didn’t shoot the 10.3g well.

The Prophet.177 barrel is Lothar Walther - 510mm long.
I wish my Revere liked the FX ones as they are slightly cheaper. The tin I have doesn’t shoot as well as the JSB’s
I’ll slowly try and start shooting some of the other pellets I have.

Ed,
I pretty much only shoot the Fx 13.4's in my Crown MkII in .177. I think it was sometime this Spring I was searching for the best pellet for the Crown in HFT. Shot all the name brand 10 grainers and the two types of 13.4 grainers. The 13.4's have a max velocity of about 820 to keep them under 20FPE for competition. The 10 grainers is more like 920fps. The 13.4's outshot all of the 10 grainers (based on 30yd Challenge targets) even though the 10's shoot flatter (good for Field Target). The two types of 13.4 are the old JSB Monsters and the JSB Redesigned monsters. My Crown likes the old ones better and the FX 13.4's are the old design and are very consistent in size and weight. So I shoot them at 820 or so fps.
When I got my second Crown this summer (with a 380mm barrel) I tried the FX 13.4's in that and decided to try shooting them in the 860-880 fps range. They were not nearly as accurate. I tuned down to 820 and that rifle started clocking 190's and two digit x's.
An interesting side note - I shot my first 40 yd card yesterday in very light winds. Not very pretty (180-9x), but a decent number of x's. I noticed on the bad misses that the pellets were spiraling. I also correlated that to wind puffs. So the next time it isn't rainy and cold I am going to try the 40 yd card shooting in the high 700 fps to see if I can get rid of the spirals.

Cheers,
Greg

Awesome info Greg ! Thanks for sharing.

I checked the leaderboards and there are many great results with 13.4g - and in most all cases they are being shot 830fps or slower - down to 807fps.

This was the type of information that I was hoping our expanded data for the TYC would show.

Instead of - “this is a great 5-shot group at 50” type of stuff, the TYC forum is showing real scores and real data for popular air rifles - the objective is to help fellow enthusiasts maximize their rifles potential.

-Ed

• Love
If you have never watched Ted Lasso, here is an important message for anyone shooting these targets

Lol, that’s a great point Florida_Man - you need a 10-second memory… can’t let a flyer get you down, gotta focus on the current target.

I think that’s similar advice as to what mreynolds gave us - you can’t keep adjusting based on the previous target - he said that each target you shoot presents its own unique challenge.

Conditions are constantly changing, gotta keep focused on the present - short memory helps.

Lol, that’s a great point Florida_Man - you need a 10-second memory… can’t let a flyer get you down, gotta focus on the current target.

I think that’s similar advice as to what mreynolds gave us - you can’t keep adjusting based on the previous target - he said that each target you shoot presents its own unique challenge.

Conditions are constantly changing, gotta keep focused on the present - short memory helps.

I want to be a goldfish. “Happiest animal in the world.” I love Ted Lasso. Season 1 was best imo.

Reactions: Florida_Man
Awesome info Greg ! Thanks for sharing.

I checked the leaderboards and there are many great results with 13.4g - and in most all cases they are being shot 830fps or slower - down to 807fps.

This was the type of information that I was hoping our expanded data for the TYC would show.

Instead of - “this is a great 5-shot group at 50” type of stuff, the TYC forum is showing real scores and real data for popular air rifles - the objective is to help fellow enthusiasts maximize their rifles potential.

-Ed

Little did Tom Carlson know when he first introduced the 30y challenge on that very first post, how extremely popular this would be. In those early days, I had no idea how hard this was going to be either. Have to agree that we are seeing .177’s shoot fantastic scores, and a bunch of .22 brands do the same. Ed, the data we have now helps everyone, thanks to both you and Tom.

I just bought a new .20 Marauder from Airgun Revisions, because of all the recent positive hype from a recent .20 cal post from Cole ( Franklink ). I bought it primarily for the 30 and 40y challenge, but I’m also going to try it at 100y with the high BC 15.89 .20 cal pellets. Should be ready after Christmas.

TYC Shooters,

First target today with .177 Prophet was 30-Masters. Scored a 190 10X – not bad after the two 196s yesterday.

Since the .177 Prophet was scoring consistently in the 190s at 30-Masters with the new 820fps velocity, I decided to try 40-Masters.

40-Masters Results:
Card 1 = 185 7X
Card 2 – 188 9X

Note that I had a great chance to get 190 on Card #2, but shot an 8 on the final target. I didn’t choke, I was tiring from concentrating. Bottom line is that a Midas Tac at 24X is barely enough scope for me at 40 yards with these cards.

Conclusion:
I’m shooting straight from the tin and loading by hand (love the Prophet loading port). I took no sighters on these 40-Masters cards once the card started. Based on these results, I’d say that 190+ is definitely achievable with a .177 at 40-Masters. I’m gonna keep at it.

40 Yards Prophet.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg