30-Yard Challenge

JimmyD,

Your tip is similar to what you said the other day - get your crosshairs exactly where you want them - BEFORE touching the rifle.

This ensures that you will be applying the MINIMUM forces to the rifle to keeping the crosshairs on target.

I agree that if moving/adjusting your rear bipod, you MIGHT be loading some twisting forces into the feet of your front bipod - especially if your front bipod has rubber type feet touching the shooting table/bench. If some of these twisting forces are stored in the front rubber feet, when the rifle jumps slightly when shot, these twisting forces are released - moving the rifle slightly.

It was a cool coincidence that you mentioned aligning the crosshairs before touching the rifle in your post the other day - because I was coming to that exact same conclusion… and my 40 yard scores have gone up since implementing that into my shooting routine for each shot.

Bottom line, if you are doing things like pressing the butt down into a rear bag to get your crosshairs on target - stop doing it - you are imparting forces on the rifle that are impossible to duplicate shot-to-shot.

Thanks for you insight and advice,

-Ed

• Love
Reactions: oledawg
Hi Guys,
I finally shot a decent 40 yd Card. Not ready for Masters yest, just a Challenge. But boy it is a challenge with a .177 shooting under 20 FPE. Any puff of wind and I can see the pellets start to spiral. Shot a whole 50 yd IBS target (at 40 yds) shooting groups of 5 to try and see if I could find a slower speed that gave better groups. Basically, went from 830 fps to 720 fps and found the best groups to be at 820. But that is what I have been using without much luck.
The one good card today I think was just luck. I held a bit for the puffy light wind on each shot and guessed right more often than not. So I want to list this 190 - 11X as my entry for this challenge.
20231222_205450 (002).jpg

This was shot with my new to me Nordic Wolf Crown Mk II with a 380mm .177 barrel and a Nightforce NX8 Scope.

Once again I needed to put this in prospective. I was feeling bummed that it was only a 190-11x. Then I plotted out all the shots on one bull. This was 20 shots with a max C2C measure of almost exactly 1/2 inch. To put it in a Field Target perspective, if the target had a 7/8 inch kill zone all 24 shots would have been inside the KZ with only one being a splitter. That would be a Troyer rating of 46. It would be very rare to see a target with that kind of rating in a match.
Picture1.png

Hi Guys,
I finally shot a decent 40 yd Card. Not ready for Masters yest, just a Challenge. But boy it is a challenge with a .177 shooting under 20 FPE. Any puff of wind and I can see the pellets start to spiral. Shot a whole 50 yd IBS target (at 40 yds) shooting groups of 5 to try and see if I could find a slower speed that gave better groups. Basically, went from 830 fps to 720 fps and found the best groups to be at 820. But that is what I have been using without much luck.
The one good card today I think was just luck. I held a bit for the puffy light wind on each shot and guessed right more often than not. So I want to list this 190 - 11X as my entry for this challenge.
View attachment 418105

This was shot with my new to me Nordic Wolf Crown Mk II with a 380mm .177 barrel and a Nightforce NX8 Scope.

Once again I needed to put this in prospective. I was feeling bummed that it was only a 190-11x. Then I plotted out all the shots on one bull. This was 20 shots with a max C2C measure of almost exactly 1/2 inch. To put it in a Field Target perspective, if the target had a 7/8 inch kill zone all 24 shots would have been inside the KZ with only one being a splitter. That would be a Troyer rating of 46. It would be very rare to see a target with that kind of rating in a match.
View attachment 418108

Congratulations Greg!

Welcome to the 190+ Club at 40-Challenge! You are the 2nd person to do 190+ at 40 yards with .177. Great shooting and wind reading.

I believe we both used the 13.4g pellets. I’m going to try for 190 at 40 using my Dreamline Classic and 10.3g. I’ll need a very still day. My DL Classic consistently shoots 195+ at 30 yards with the 10.3g - so I think it can shoot 190 at 40 yards with this lighter pellet - in still conditions.

We have some great regular shooters in this Challenge - and it seems everyone is getting better throughout the past year.

40 Yards is doable, you can see that guys are posting high scores at 40 - so it gives another wrinkle to this Challenge. Especially if you have already shot a 198-200 with the rifle at 30 yards.

-Ed

Reactions: oledawg and NAProf
Congrats Greg! Feels good, doesn’t it.

The 40y leaderboard is getting crowded 😉

Btw, talked to Martin yesterday. Going to order a new RAW BR TMx .177 laminate stock in early January for the 30, 40y challenge. Exactly right - will need very light wind shooting the JSB 13g.

Darn you Tommy, after our discussion on the Taipan, I was thinking about a RAW .177 myself - being a trigger snob and all.

The guy I bought a scope from the other day has extensive experience with RAWs. He felt the trigger in the TMs was even better than the HMs.

For now, I’m enjoying the Crown and it’s still not set up for me. I have to move the scope back a bit, and may take a stab at trying different springs in the trigger - hopefully getting it down to 8 ounces while still having a second stage.

I shot 195 12X and 191 8X with it yesterday at 40-Masters. Conditions were good, but mild breeze shifting L-R and then R-L. It was maddening as I’d score a 9 at perfect height right, adjust and then score a 9 with perfect vertical just left.

It was 31F yesterday and I’m shooting in just a shirt as the scope on the Crown is not far enough back - making the rubber buttpad catch my clothing if I wear a jacket.

This is a picture of my frozen hand after 1 card… turns red on the frozen parts, lol

IMG_3530.jpeg

2nd card of today.

I submit for leaderboard: 198 17X 40-Yard Masters.

Cannot believe that I missed the last target. I knew I had a shot at 199. If I hit the last target I was gonna shoot a 21st shot at the sighters below - to prove to myself that I could shoot 20 straight 10s at 40 yards.

Note how still white streamer is.

Still, I’m darn happy with 17Xs out of 20!

This is how close to 18Xs - see photo.

Going out to celebrate - I know I coulda shot 200… at least 199… lol,

-Ed

IMG_3539.jpeg

IMG_3541.jpeg

IMG_3540.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
My first go at this and it was a ton of fun. 34 degrees here in New York today with a 4mph headwind. Was going back and forth between scoring box 7 with 10’s or 9’s till I set the pellet on it. You guys think it’s scored correctly?

View attachment 418368

View attachment 418369

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the 30 Yard Challenge.

Yes, it looks scored correctly. However, we also score the number of Xs - the black dot in the middle of the 10-ring.

We use a .22 caliber scoring plug. You can get one at Freeland Sports. If you call Freeland, they will reduce the shipping charge that is charged via internet shopping cart.

From the looks of your card, I’d score it 196 15X

Awesome shooting with your Crown Mk2!

-Ed

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the 30 Yard Challenge.

Yes, it looks scored correctly. However, we also score the number of Xs - the black dot in the middle of the 10-ring.

We use a .22 caliber scoring plug. You can get one at Freeland Sports. If you call Freeland, they will reduce the shipping charge that is charged via internet shopping cart.

From the looks of your card, I’d score it 196 15X

Awesome shooting with your Crown Mk2!

-Ed
Thanks Ed. I’ll def look into the score plug. I knew about the X’s, was more concerned with scoring the 10’s correctly. Should have some time tomorrow for a few more cards. Always great when you find something to switch up our hobby.

For fellow FX owners, this video demonstrates exactly my findings when working with FX trigger design.

as sub12airgunner states, ”FX uses a single stage trigger with a fake 2nd stage” - EXACTLY what I’ve been saying for years.

[If you haven’t watched sub12airgunners YT channel before - I highly recommend - he is REALLY knowledgeable and videos are excellent step-by-step]

-Ed

Ok, if you’ve already talked to Martin I’m not sure what I can add?, my BM-500 I just sold to another shooter I compete with.
I shot those cards with my TM I’m going to be shooting in HFT next yr.View attachment 418661

Didn’t want to tie up Martin too long on the phone; I know he is busy.

Will PM you.

Thought I’d try 40!, 20ftlb RAW 10.3gr. JSB’s scores at bottom, not sure if X has to fully cover black Dot?

View attachment 418610uView attachment 418613

Hi Joe,

You beat me to scoring 190+ with 10.3g .177 at 40 Yards. Congratulations, you are the 1st to do it with 10.3g!

I’ll add your 194 to the leaderboard, but would appreciate if you could provide what brand 10.3g that you were using (FX, JSB, AA) as well as what scope make/model and magnification you were using. Also, what fps were you shooting the 10.3s at?

To confirm, the rifle you used was a RAW TM1000 - correct?

Thanks,

Ed

Glad to see someone shooting on Christmas Eve besides me…

I shot 4 cards at 40 yards today. After the 198 17X Masters yesterday, I thought I’d shoot 40-Challenge cards with the Crown today and make a run at 200 with the FX Crown…

… no dice, conditions were excellent but I was not as good as yesterday.

194 11X
196 11X
194 9X

All 3 cards were 40-Challenge cards.

The Crown was about off the reg so I shot a 40-Masters with the RTI Prophet .22 - result was a 190 7X. I was definitely tiring and losing my consistency on form.

Merry Christmas Eve to all you great shooters!

-Ed

IMG_3547.jpeg

IMG_3548.jpeg

IMG_3549.jpeg

I tried my P35-177 in 40 degree weather yesterday morning. The velocity was down to around 860 but accuracy was not improved. I shot a bunch of 5 shot groups at slightly different hammer spring settings and then tried a target with what I thought was the best. I shot a 178-5X. At 30 yard 24 bull target. Not so good. But my 177 demands my best technique. I think I will mess with the regulator next. In warmer weather I was mostly shooting upper 180s with the occasional 190+.

I also dug some H&N 25 caliber slugs out of a drawer full of "don't work so great" tins. P35-25 shot the 34s OK but not as good as pellets. 2 of 3 5 shot groups were less than half an inch at 30 yards and 4 of the 5 in the other group were too. But just for fun I shot a 5 shot group with the FX 34s. All were within the 8 ring. About 5/16 center to center. Would have been 10s, possibly 5 Xs. 28 grain slugs did not shoot well. Scope on the Vector seems to have settled in.

The 34 grain projectiles hitting the pellet trap is noticably noisier than the little 13.4 or 10.6 grain 177 pellets. My main task for the day is getting the house ready for the kids arrival tomorrow but it was good to get a little shooting in. I'm still amazed at the change in the P35-25 accuracy after the re-tune, My lowest target with it after the re-tune is a 177 and that was with a 14X scope. With the 32X lowest is 181 and I was messing with the scope on that one.

It's up to about 60 here today with light wind. Probably rain tomorrow. But with the kids here celebrating Christmas it will be a good day. I hope you all have a great Christmas.