• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Had some time after a thunderstorm with no wind. Playing with a different pellet, .177 JSB 16.2gr (it has the "trash can" shape). With my AA 510XS on its highest power it only got to 793 avg. Still, very happy with this card. I'll keep looking for that magic pellet, it's got to be the pellet, right :) ?View attachment 468207
Really nice card! Keep going as you are on a positive trend.

Indians or arrows? We always seem to be asking ourselves that question.

Cheers,
Greg

Had some time after a thunderstorm with no wind. Playing with a different pellet, .177 JSB 16.2gr (it has the "trash can" shape). With my AA 510XS on its highest power it only got to 793 avg. Still, very happy with this card. I'll keep looking for that magic pellet, it's got to be the pellet, right :) ?View attachment 468207

Well RCope, its the shooter first, but it doesn’t hurt to have a rifle that shoots many pellets well…

… that’s one of the best cards we have ever seen with the .177 “beast” pellets - nice velocity too.

Share a picture of your Air Arms and the rest you are using - it seems a great setup.

-Ed

Reactions: RCope
Here's a pic of my set up, obviously with a different rifle. And a pic of my AA 510XS. I have a 50 meter backyard to shoot in, but I've been concentrating on 30 yds...
IMG_5220.jpg
IMG_5460.jpg

Here's a pic of my set up, obviously with a different rifle. And a pic of my AA 510XS. I have a 50 meter backyard to shoot in, but I've been concentrating on 30 yds...
View attachment 468406View attachment 468408

Nice ! A Pro Sport springer off bags and the 510XS off Caldwell - I’ve used pretty much those exact setups with good results.

My springer is a HW97k in .177.

Do you lock down the Caldwell side to side adjustment or leave it pretty free to move?

Nice ! A Pro Sport springer off bags and the 510XS off Caldwell - I’ve used pretty much those exact setups with good results.

My springer is a HW97k in .177.

Do you lock down the Caldwell side to side adjustment or leave it pretty free to move?
The Caldwell is just holding the 510XS for the picture. I shoot off the tripod (also made by Caldwell) and a rear bag, just as the with the Prosport…Cheers! Rick

Took today off - rode motorcycle as it was really windy here.

Still pretty windy at 6:30 for target shooting, so I moved in to 30 yards with Crown and shot two 30-Masters cards. I’m happy with the scores - especially with the conditions - but I missed a few wind reads and it cost me a Greg type card…

The 198 may be a LB submission as I haven’t shot the Crown much at 30 yards this year. Definitely my most accurate .22.

IMG_4769.jpeg

IMG_4770.jpeg

Took today off - rode motorcycle as it was really windy here.

Still pretty windy at 6:30 for target shooting, so I moved in to 30 yards with Crown and shot two 30-Masters cards. I’m happy with the scores - especially with the conditions - but I missed a few wind reads and it cost me a Greg type card…

The 198 may be a LB submission as I haven’t shot the Crown much at 30 yards this year. Definitely my most accurate .22.

View attachment 468941

View attachment 468942

Geez Greg - We would hate to see Ed’s score if rhere was no wind. 😉😉

Need a picture of the motorcycle Ed.

Geez Greg - We would hate to see Ed’s score if rhere was no wind. 😉😉

Need a picture of the motorcycle Ed.
Well Tommy, you know that there is “tricky wind” and “readable” wind. Yesterday, the wind flags were really moving, but it was basically readable - just R/L holds.

Here is my scoot. I bought her new in 1988, we’ve been riding together for 36 years now. She has some rust and some rattles, as do I - but we still enjoy viewing the Connecticut countryside on a sunshiny day.

BA80A361-4C07-4F2C-9E32-0E15ACC1533C.jpeg

EDD5CA64-DF53-4B9A-A674-88497EA61399.jpeg

998DCD4F-9C3C-4F93-B38C-D34FE4ADF845.jpeg

Reactions: tommyb
I have a leaderboard submission - 30-Masters with Taipan Vet 2 today.

This is the only rifle I’m always using a bipod instead of my usual setup. The Taipan had a pic rail installed when I bought it from an AGN member, I won the biood at about the same time and they have been married since.

Original owner installed Huma reg and set it at 150 bar, I’ve been dialing down the power using the “speed dialer” hammer spring adjuster he also installed. Its definitely an “efficiency tune” at this reg pressure. Probably should drop it to about 120 bar to optimize for 18g.

I thought the 196 was great, but then the 199. The 9 that went low was a weird pellet perhaps, it went in at a somewhat strange angle. Showing that a close 10 at beginning of last row was indeed a 10.

Taipan build quality is second to none - its like a Swiss watch!

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4771.jpeg

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

Well Tommy, you know that there is “tricky wind” and “readable” wind. Yesterday, the wind flags were really moving, but it was basically readable - just R/L holds.

Here is my scoot. I bought her new in 1988, we’ve been riding together for 36 years now. She has some rust and some rattles, as do I - but we still enjoy viewing the Connecticut countryside on a sunshiny day.

View attachment 469061

View attachment 469062

View attachment 469063

One of my favorite TV shows in the mid 2000 years was “Sons of Anarchy.” Jax Teller was the leader of the California gang. You look like one of the guys who should be riding in their motorcycle club. Not sure if you watched the series ( 7 seasons), but it was a great show.

That bike is sweet!

Thought I would give it a go tonight, been awhile. 40yd Masters target on backer then off to score. No wind 3-4mph max.View attachment 469531View attachment 469532
Great Shooting!

Can you give some further info on the rifle, pellet velocity, scope, and magnification. Ed puts all that stuff in his spreadsheet and it is very interesting to see the spread of equipment and tunes that work for folks.
Cheers,
Greg

I was pointed to this after posting groups in my Sub MOA all day challenge thread. Back story got a used Taipan Vet Long, looked like barely used. Shroud was bent and caused clipping. Fixed that. Still terrible accuracy. Crown had major burrs. Recrowned with brass screw trick and now it one of my best shooters to date. Tried it this morning at 3:15am lol. Leave for a fishing trip at 4:30 and couldn't sleep so why not. So first try and looks like a 200 14x?? 6 and 11 are the targets not counted.

20240604_033922.jpg

I was pointed to this after posting groups in my Sub MOA all day challenge thread. Back story got a used Taipan Vet Long, looked like barely used. Shroud was bent and caused clipping. Fixed that. Still terrible accuracy. Crown had major burrs. Recrowned with brass screw trick and now it one of my best shooters to date. Tried it this morning at 3:15am lol. Leave for a fishing trip at 4:30 and couldn't sleep so why not. So first try and looks like a 200 14x?? 6 and 11 are the targets not counted.

View attachment 469866

Wow! Welcome to our challenge!

Dairyboy, that is an incredible 1st card to submit. I’ll bet that with a .22 scoring plug, your card could as high as 200 18X or 19X - certainly one of the top cards ever submitted since I’ve been moderating the 30 and 40 Yard Challenge thread. Congratulations!

Can you provide more info for our leaderboard? Scope used, magnification setting used. Pellet used (Brand, model, weight) and velocity. Info would be much appreciated .

I don’t recall seeing another card with as perfect a vertical dispersion across 24 shots - yours is incredible. Did you shoot indoors (Dairyboy handle could mean access to a barn, lol) or outdoors?

I like to work on my guns. I have a Taipan Vet 2 .22 - build quality is incredible. I’m super impressed that you took a fixer upper and got it to this level - of course you must be an excellent shooter too. What type of rest do you use?

Now try that Taipan at 40 yards !!

-Ed

Reactions: Dairyboy

View attachment 469061

View attachment 469062

View attachment 469063
NICE ! 36 years old WOW ( all Original ?)

Wow! Welcome to our challenge!

Dairyboy, that is an incredible 1st card to submit. I’ll bet that with a .22 scoring plug, your card could as high as 200 18X or 19X - certainly one of the top cards ever submitted since I’ve been moderating the 30 and 40 Yard Challenge thread. Congratulations!

Can you provide more info for our leaderboard? Scope used, magnification setting used. Pellet used (Brand, model, weight) and velocity. Info would be much appreciated .

I don’t recall seeing another card with as perfect a vertical dispersion across 24 shots - yours is incredible. Did you shoot indoors (Dairyboy handle could mean access to a barn, lol) or outdoors?

I like to work on my guns. I have a Taipan Vet 2 .22 - build quality is incredible. I’m super impressed that you took a fixer upper and got it to this level - of course you must be an excellent shooter too. What type of rest do you use?

Now try that Taipan at 40 yards !!

-Ed
Wow I'm surprised it was so good lol. I wasn't expecting that when posting. Again one of the best shooters I've had in my hands since I've had airguns.

Taipan Veteran Long .22 with an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 4-20x50 MIL. Set at 20x. JTS 18gr pellets at 915fps.

It was shot outdoors in my driveway actually lol. Towards section 5 and 6 I started dealing with a slight breeze from the right so adjusted my hold.

For a rest I use a small tripod up front and rear bag. Heres a pic of it. Different scope used though than in the pic.

20240428_070001.jpg

This is what it can do at 50yds on a couple nice days.

20240512_074842.jpg
20240602_070755.jpg

NICE ! 36 years old WOW ( all Original ?)
Hi Beerthief,

Yes, all original. I bought her new in 1988. I had the Evolution 80 cubic inch motor rebuilt once, but retained the original cam and manual choke carb - I believe 1988 was the last year for the manual choke carb (CV carb came the next year). The two into one exhaust is an original HD part - to replace the stock shorty duals. Still even has the original suspension components, lol - a true time capsule. Those are the original leather saddle bags.

Reactions: beerthief