• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Wow I'm surprised it was so good lol. I wasn't expecting that when posting. Again one of the best shooters I've had in my hands since I've had airguns.

Taipan Veteran Long .22 with an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 4-20x50 MIL. Set at 20x. JTS 18gr pellets at 915fps.

It was shot outdoors in my driveway actually lol. Towards section 5 and 6 I started dealing with a slight breeze from the right so adjusted my hold.

For a rest I use a small tripod up front and rear bag. Heres a pic of it. Different scope used though than in the pic.

View attachment 469946

This is what it can do at 50yds on a couple nice days.

View attachment 469949View attachment 469950

That’s awesome consistency at 50 yards with 18g.

True story (go back a few pages) …so a couple months ago I bought a Taipan Vet 2 .22 (550mm CZ) from an AGN member. He had it tuned for 25.39g MRDs (he installed a Huma reg at 150 bar - gave me the original reg as well - nothing wrong with it, he just always puts Humas in). I randomly dialed the ”speed dialer” hammer spring adjuster down to shoot 18.13g - it happened to go to 915fps (same velocity as yours).

I shot my first 30-Challenge card with it… 200 13X or 14X I believe (it was not nearly as good as your card, but still a 200). I was a bit shocked, seemed easy. I’m totally impressed by the build of the rifle. The only rifle that I’ve seen built to a similar standard is the Weihrauch HW100 - and even the HW100 does not have a barrel that is threaded into the breech.

That’s awesome consistency at 50 yards with 18g.

True story (go back a few pages) …so a couple months ago I bought a Taipan Vet 2 .22 (550mm CZ) from an AGN member. He had it tuned for 25.39g MRDs (he installed a Huma reg at 150 bar - gave me the original reg as well - nothing wrong with it, he just always puts Humas in). I randomly dialed the ”speed dialer” hammer spring adjuster down to shoot 18.13g - it happened to go to 915fps (same velocity as yours).

I shot my first 30-Challenge card with it… 200 13X or 14X I believe (it was not nearly as good as your card, but still a 200). I was a bit shocked, seemed easy. I’m totally impressed by the build of the rifle. The only rifle that I’ve seen built to a similar standard is the Weihrauch HW100 - and even the HW100 does not have a barrel that is threaded into the breech.
Thanks! This one is truly special as I've had many airguns and haven't had anything with this consistency. The Taipans are great guns and recently picked up a Short also. Both mine are the old school Vets. I bet those Vet2s Re really nice based on my experience with the originals. That's awesome yours did that well also! I'll check it out. I havent owned a HW100 just the Springers but everyone compares Taipan quality with them and I can see why.

Inspired by Dairyboy, I shot two 40-Masters cards with my Taipan yesterday in fading light. I had been playing with 880-895 velocity range on the Taipan, so I shot 4 five-shot groups before these two cards - bumping velocity back up to 915fps - groups looked awesome with both 18.13 and 21.14g pellets.

1st card is a leaderboard submission - 194 10X 40-Masters. Light was fading so fast that I shot the 2nd 40-Masters card - 186 6X - without any sighters, lol - before or during the card… just 20 straight shots after card 1.

Taipan seems much happier at 915 vs 885fps. Note the awesome 7fps velocity spread on the 186 card.

Even at 915fps, my Taipan is getting over 65 shots before hitting reg set point. Thanks Dairyboy for reminding me that when you have a rifle shooting 200 at a velocity, DON’T keep messing with it, lol.

IMG_4796.jpeg

IMG_4795.jpeg

IMG_4797.jpeg

Inspired by Dairyboy, I shot two 40-Masters cards with my Taipan yesterday in fading light. I had been playing with 880-895 velocity range on the Taipan, so I shot 4 five-shot groups before these two cards - bumping velocity back up to 915fps - groups looked awesome with both 18.13 and 21.14g pellets.

1st card is a leaderboard submission - 194 10X 40-Masters. Light was fading so fast that I shot the 2nd 40-Masters card - 186 6X - without any sighters, lol - before or during the card… just 20 straight shots after card 1.

Taipan seems much happier at 915 vs 885fps. Note the awesome 7fps velocity spread on the 186 card.

Even at 915fps, my Taipan is getting over 65 shots before hitting reg set point. Thanks Dairyboy for reminding me that when you have a rifle shooting 200 at a velocity, DON’T keep messing with it, lol.

View attachment 470204

View attachment 470205

View attachment 470206
I've always found CZ barrels like projectiles moving fast. pellets 890-910 FPS on average, slugs 960-980 FPS. I have also heard a few have their taipans shooting pellets as high as 950. Think rick reahm - shooter 1721 did a video, that was a vet 1 with choked barrel, not sure how well the unchoked barrel will behave at those speeds.

View attachment 470204

View attachment 470205

View attachment 470206
That's great! I'll have to try the 40yd myself once I return home. And yeah I usually tune my guns at 885fps but by chance landed there and how accurate it is didn't touch nothin lol

Hi Guys,
So it has been a while since I shot the Nordic Wolf Crown and today seemed like a good day. After talking to Ed about his experiences at NAC I decided to turn my King into a .25 600mm pellet shooter for doing 100yd benchrest. That meant I put the .22 500mm barrel back in the NW Crown. I played around a bunch with the tune and found a really good one. SD of 3 and ES of 8 on 70 shot string! Plus, it seemed to be more accurate. The big difference from my other .22 tunes is I put the Transfer Port Wheel on Medium (instead of High). I had to increase reg pressure and hammer spring tension to get the 18.1's to fly at around 870. So why the long story.....
Shot two cards today. A 40yd Challange and a 30 yd Masters. A 2-3 mph gusty breeze from my 9:00, but really good conditions. The 40yd is good, at 192-11x, but I have done better with this rifle. But the 30yd Masters was exceptional - 200-17x!

View attachment 466585

and
View attachment 466586

I shot this last card in columns instead of rows. It made the sight-in adjustment a bit easier. I also had to check that last shot as I thought I might have blown it - below is a picture confirming the 10. Yipee!

View attachment 466587

Cheers,
Greg

I want one of these cards to shoot. I shoot dots. Sharp dots on a piece of paper. At 50 yards with 5mph winds I hit 22 dots out of 25 with my 22 caliber pellets. These dots are no more than quarter inch in diameter. Maybe smaller. If I knew where to buy these cards then I'd know more about how well my gun shoots. I've hit 24 dots before but there was no wind blowing. Iv3 seen where people have scored 3 cards without misses. To bad I'm not that good yet. Can somebody send me a link where to buy those practice ca4ds please.thanks

I want one of these cards to shoot. I shoot dots. Sharp dots on a piece of paper. At 50 yards with 5mph winds I hit 22 dots out of 25 with my 22 caliber pellets. These dots are no more than quarter inch in diameter. Maybe smaller. If I knew where to buy these cards then I'd know more about how well my gun shoots. I've hit 24 dots before but there was no wind blowing. Iv3 seen where people have scored 3 cards without misses. To bad I'm not that good yet. Can somebody send me a link where to buy those practice ca4ds please.thanks

Here is the link to the page on this thread where you can download all 4 of the cards we use for the 30 and 40 yard Challenge - it is post # 2235 that has the links.

-Ed

". My rule, which I am not great at following, is that if I am in doubt, I shoot for the bullseye." what are you aiming at if not the bullseye every time ?
Nìte shooting is the best. I can't wait for time to change back so I can shoot at nite again. My best unbelievable groups are shot at nite with no wind. I poop you not,I've shot single hole groups at 150 with no wind. Rugged hole 5 shot groups at 200 yards . The nite makes alot of difference. You can find out what your guns really doing,and the rest the elements at play during the day.

Man, this was exciting, first 200 20X! I switched out scopes for a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 that I had laying around and what a difference that made! The center dot on the MOA XT reticle is perfect for this. This is my 4th card to shoot since starting this, submitting for the leaderboard.

Congratulations on the 200-20X Demphana2! That is only the third 200-20X submitted in the past two years, and the first one in .22 caliber !

You will have to tell us about your shooting conditions, did you shoot the card indoors or ourdoors? If outdoors, do you have much wind?

Also, do you weigh and sort your pellets? Both you and Dairyboy are using JTS pellets to shoot outstanding scores... perhaps JTS are more consistent than JSB/FX?

-Ed

Leaderboard Update - Through 6/7/24

Shooters,

Below are our leaderboards, with submissions through and including June 7th.

There were some outstanding scores submitted this past month, as well as some fun discussions on our thread.

Welcome to all the new shooters. This past month, these new shooters seem to be ringers – as they are shooting 200s during their first month shooting the Challenges.

Notable submissions since May:

Demphna2 shot a 200-20X (!) 30-Challenge with his Brocock Sahara XR .22. This is only the third 200-20X submitted in the past two years – congrats Demphna2 !

NAProf shot a 200-17X 30-Masters with his Nordic Wolf FX Crown Mk2 .22

Dairyboy shot a 200-14X 30-Challenge with his Taipan Veteran (v1) Long .22

Tommyb shot a 199-11X 30-Challenge with his RAW HM1000X .22

Nomojo65 shot a 197-16X 40-Masters with his Thomas FT .177 (incredible shooting with .177 at 40 yards).

NaProf shot a 197-12X 40-Challenge and a 195-10X 40-Masters with his FX Crown .22s (he’s getting ready for Pyramyd !)

EPG shot a 196-14X 40-Masters with his FX Crown .22 and shot a 199-13X 30-Masters with his Taipan Veteran 2 .22

EPG shot a 190-7X 40-Challenge with his Dreamline Classic .177 – using 10.3g pellets (need calm conditions with 10g at 40 yards, lol).

Interesting that Demphna2 and Dairyboy are using JTS pellets to shoot 200 scores – perhaps JTS can give JSB/FX pellets a run for the money...?

It’s good shooting weather guys – so get out there and get some lead downrange and on target !! Good Luck!

-Ed
EDAC1695-CF1F-478F-BCC0-7A143518A476.jpeg

1B966E8C-9DB5-4F2E-86BA-891C63F5CE71.jpeg

96DF4BAA-25C3-4925-B5EE-C3338D1DC85B.jpeg

1B369D9E-FCE1-491B-8463-2A6D40B5512E.jpeg

684FBCA8-3480-4EE4-83C3-0F5652086E64.jpeg

Reactions: Demphna2
Congratulations on the 200-20X Demphana2! That is only the third 200-20X submitted in the past two years, and the first one in .22 caliber !

You will have to tell us about your shooting conditions, did you shoot the card indoors or ourdoors? If outdoors, do you have much wind?

Also, do you weigh and sort your pellets? Both you and Dairyboy are using JTS pellets to shoot outstanding scores... perhaps JTS are more consistent than JSB/FX?

-Ed
It's been a little windy here the past 2 days. When I shot, I had full value wind gusts occasionaly so I just waited those out. Wind was variable and kind of swirly. My garage has 2 doors, one to the driveway and one into the backyard, and I have 31 yards exactly to shoot. Table is set up in the garage and my chair is butted up to the other garage door.

One thing to note is box 11 left target was my first shot. I knew my zero was slightly left, so not expecting to score a card like this, I adjusted one click to the right and shot the rest of the card. Worked my nerves on the final 6 boxes!

No pellet sorting, just pulled straight from the tin. Initial tests showed they were the most consistent and accurate.

30 masters is next!

Reactions: Dairyboy
Nìte shooting is the best. I can't wait for time to change back so I can shoot at nite again. My best unbelievable groups are shot at nite with no wind. I poop you not,I've shot single hole groups at 150 with no wind. Rugged hole 5 shot groups at 200 yards . The nite makes alot of difference. You can find out what your guns really doing,and the rest the elements at play during the day.

I see you just joined the AGN forum. Welcome aboard.

I have to say, I am truly amazed if “anyone” could shoot single hole multiple groups at 100y with an air rifle outside. Literally that would be 1/4” 5-shot groups outside with wind at 100Y.

150Y would be spectacular, and I have never seen any single pellet hole groups posted on AGN at that distance. Ragged hole groups at 200y? I don’t even know anyone who does that with a RF or CF rifle.

Are you sure you didn’t have a couple pops when you wrote this?

Reactions: beerthief
Personally i think the term "single hole" is misinterpreted. MY way of thinking a single hole is 1.5 times the the projectile period . weather it is 3 shots or 5 or 20 . Meaning a .177 " 5 shot single hole " would be .265 diameter hole . Otherwise i could say i i shot a 5 shot single hole (just because the pellet edges touched each other but the hole could be a line of 5 holes totaling .885 or more than 3/4 of an inch single hole .

Personally i think the term "single hole" is misinterpreted. MY way of thinking a single hole is 1.5 times the the projectile period . weather it is 3 shots or 5 or 20 . Meaning a .177 " 5 shot single hole " would be .265 diameter hole . Otherwise i could say i i shot a 5 shot single hole (just because the pellet edges touched each other but the hole could be a line of 5 holes totaling .885 or more than 3/4 of an inch single hole .

Yes, but there is a big difference between single hole and ‘ragged’ hole that could stretch to one++ inches. Again, 50Y is one thing, 150-200y is a mile with an air gun.

I see you just joined the AGN forum. Welcome aboard.

I have to say, I am truly amazed if “anyone” could shoot single hole multiple groups at 100y with an air rifle outside. Literally that would be 1/4” 5-shot groups outside with wind at 100Y.

150Y would be spectacular, and I have never seen any single pellet hole groups posted on AGN at that distance. Ragged hole groups at 200y? I don’t even know anyone who does that with a RF or CF rifle.

Are you sure you didn’t have a couple pops when you wrote this?
Well,when I get a tact cam I'll show you. I need a mono pod, I shoot some rugged 100 yard 5 shoot holes today. Not every group,but more than 1. Here's a ten shot group with my last ten 44.8 grain fx pellets at 100 yards I shoot couple days back. Keep in mind ,I shoot my guns daily. I'd just put that barrel on my crown to test for accuracy.the one out side the group was pult,by me,not guns fault,the first 9 shoots cut the hole and that was shooting fast before my barrel would cool.

20240606_201128.jpg

I don't take pictures everyday,if I say something,it's the truth,I've no reason to make anything up. Next year I'm gonna win the prymid cup if I can get enough money to get there. When I say one hole ,I mean one pellets size with the edges cut slightly, finger size hole in 30 caliber. You could see there was 5 shoots that went through the hole. Yeap, I've shoot them at 100 yards. With this gun. It's got a 28 in stainless steel barrel. I custom job. Shooting slugs 1054 fps. It's accurate. Those hybrids blow feathers and limbs everywhere that fast also. The guy who said that about 1.5 size the pellet,yeah,that's what I mean saying one hole group. A rugged hole can stretch like the ten shoot group I showed you. That was a barrel test,not something I'm proud of,or showing off. The barrel liner is a good one.

20240607_214918.jpg