• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

I've cut rugged holes at 150 and 200 yards. 5 shoot groups. Daily I shoot a rugged hole at 100 yards. And farther more,when I get a mono pod,my groups will get better. If I put my 36x sightron on my rifles,the groups get better also. When my panthera comes back from my gunsmith,I'll put my target scope on a make a video for those who doubt me. That way I can clear the air,I don't like to be called a liar.

I read a post about groups being measured in feet a 300 yards. You know at nite time the wind lays,shooting conditions change. Not everybody measures in feet at 300 also. An air gun will surprise you shooting on a still nite. I don't shoot that far much,but have to make my cards and learn my hold overs. I'm sure I measured a 5.25in. 5 shoot group at 300 yards shoot from my panthera with 38.9 grain slugs at 1034 fps.

Good nite,anybody want to trade out something for a tact cam,?
I see you just joined the AGN forum. Welcome aboard.

I have to say, I am truly amazed if “anyone” could shoot single hole multiple groups at 100y with an air rifle outside. Literally that would be 1/4” 5-shot groups outside with wind at 100Y.

150Y would be spectacular, and I have never seen any single pellet hole groups posted on AGN at that distance. Ragged hole groups at 200y? I don’t even know anyone who does that with a RF or CF rifle.

Are you sure you didn’t have a couple pops when you wrote this?
Just cause you don't shoot enough to do it,doesn't mean somebody else doesn't. I out shoot rim fire rifles everytime we go to the wheat field,you can not compare my air rifles to a rim fire. Well,I'll take that back,22lr. The magnums are better,and more accurate than air rifle,but not 22lr. I've nothing else to say,beerthief,you stick to stealing beer,I'll keep getting better with my guns. If I say I shot something,you can believe it. Bye

Inspired by Dairyboy, I shot two 40-Masters cards with my Taipan yesterday in fading light. I had been playing with 880-895 velocity range on the Taipan, so I shot 4 five-shot groups before these two cards - bumping velocity back up to 915fps - groups looked awesome with both 18.13 and 21.14g pellets.

1st card is a leaderboard submission - 194 10X 40-Masters. Light was fading so fast that I shot the 2nd 40-Masters card - 186 6X - without any sighters, lol - before or during the card… just 20 straight shots after card 1.

Taipan seems much happier at 915 vs 885fps. Note the awesome 7fps velocity spread on the 186 card.

Even at 915fps, my Taipan is getting over 65 shots before hitting reg set point. Thanks Dairyboy for reminding me that when you have a rifle shooting 200 at a velocity, DON’T keep messing with it, lol.

View attachment 470204

Just saw this. Great card Ed. Those 40y Masters are hard.

View attachment 470205

View attachment 470206

I don't take pictures everyday,if I say something,it's the truth,I've no reason to make anything up. Next year I'm gonna win the prymid cup if I can get enough money to get there. When I say one hole ,I mean one pellets size with the edges cut slightly, finger size hole in 30 caliber. You could see there was 5 shoots that went through the hole. Yeap, I've shoot them at 100 yards. With this gun. It's got a 28 in stainless steel barrel. I custom job. Shooting slugs 1054 fps. It's accurate. Those hybrids blow feathers and limbs everywhere that fast also. The guy who said that about 1.5 size the pellet,yeah,that's what I mean saying one hole group. A rugged hole can stretch like the ten shoot group I showed you. That was a barrel test,not something I'm proud of,or showing off. The barrel liner is a good one.

View attachment 471100

Hi Hunter25,

Your FX Impact and Crown are excellent rifles.

This thread is about shooting little pellets (.177 and .22) at a small target .

I sent you the link to the 30 and 40 yard cards earlier. (download cards from post# 2235 on page# 112 of this thread)

Tune down that Impact and Crown and show us how they do at our more traditional air rifle distances.

-Ed

Hi Hunter25,

Your FX Impact and Crown are excellent rifles.

This thread is about shooting little pellets (.177 and .22) at a small target .

I sent you the link to the 30 and 40 yard cards earlier. (download cards from post# 2235 on page# 112 of this thread)

Tune down that Impact and Crown and show us how they do at our more traditional air rifle distances.

-Ed
Well I shot this today at 75 yards. This was my best sheet. Wind was every direction as storms where passing today. Never layer at dark either. Wind was a constant 8mph,with 12 mph blows,I had wind flags going 3 different directions so it's not very good for 75 yards,but still I do this regular.

20240609_210204.jpg

Went to the range this morning and shot my RAW TM1000X .177 with a Sightron 36X fixed mag 2FP scope. I shot a total of nine 30Y cards; three challenge and six Masters cards.

I just got the rifle back from Martin last Friday, and today was the first outing with the revised tune. Shooting the FX 13.4g "trash cans'" at 845-850 FPS. It was a good day, and this tune was much better and more accurate than the 16.2G JSB pellets. I do think they are running too hot at 850 fps, but I am going to talk with Martin first B4 I dial down the HST. Had a few 8"s across the nine cards, but nothing less. Very happy with my new toy!

I will submit the 198-11X 30Y Masters for next leaderboard in July.
I will also submit the 197-14X for 30 yard challenge in July

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

Went to the range this morning and shot my RAW TM1000X .177 with a Sightron 36X fixed mag 2FP scope. I shot a total of nine 30Y cards; three challenge and six Masters cards.

I just got the rifle back from Martin last Friday, and today was the first outing with the revised tune. Shooting the FX 13.4g "trash cans'" at 845-850 FPS. It was a good day, and this tune was much better and more accurate than the 16.2G JSB pellets. I do think they are running too hot at 850 fps, but I am going to talk with Martin first B4 I dial down the HST. Had a few 8"s across the nine cards, but nothing less. Very happy with my new toy!

I will submit the 198-11X 30Y Masters for next leaderboard in July.
I will also submit the 197-14X for 30 yard challenge in July

View attachment 471470

View attachment 471471

View attachment 471472

View attachment 471473

Really nice shooting Tommy - great cards!!

Reactions: tommyb
Getting tired of shooting groups? Try this game out. You shoot all 24 bulls once at 30 yards. Next, eliminate your two lowest pairs. Then, add up your score, with a Max of 200. My best target using my Vet Long is below, as is the target I used. It would be a really great shooter who could get a 200. The 10 ring is 3.28mm in diameter, about the size of a small fly. Post up your best score and what gun you used!

View attachment 206886

Here are the scoring rules:

If the hole touches the next higher ring, score to the higher ring. Use a pellet, skirt down, if the hole is ragged.

To score a 10, you just need to touch the gray ring surrounding the black dot.

To score an X, you just need to touch the black dot in the center. (This is different than the instructions on the bottom of the target, due to us shooting at 30-yards)

.177 shooters are allowed to use a .22 pellet or a .224 scoring plug to score their targets, to compensate for the smaller diameter of a .177 pellet.

Once you shoot all 24 bulls, you get to eliminate your lowest two sets (mulligans) see the target above how I slashed out my two lowest pairs.

Score the remaining 20 targets for a Max score of 200. Also add your X's if you have any.

So a perfect score would be 200 20X. Please post up your scores and what rifle you are shooting. Have fun!!

download.png
View attachment 206891
25 Meter ( 27 1/2 Yds ) Sheet is 8.5 X 11

IMG_2418.jpg

For fellow Challenge shooters working with the 13.4g .177 pellets…

I shot this 198 16X yesterday with the 13.4g at 805fps using my Dreamline Classic.

Card 1 was a 185 4X at 790-795fps (windy)
Card 2 was a 191 9X at 800fps (less wind)
Card 3 was the 198 at 805fps (almost calm)

I was gradually trying to increase velocity to about 820fps (exactly 20 ft/lbs) - which is what I believe this pellet was designed for (US Field Target power limit).

I thought my Dreamline didn’t “like” the 13.4s, but previously to yesterday, I was always shooting them at 850+ fps (too fast for this pellet it seems)

The Dreamline Classic is known for the hammer spring preload screw moving (thereby changing your velocity), so I bought this “jam nut” solution from Cape Fear Air Guns. Its 30 seconds to install and seems to work well.

Hope this info helps with dialing in your 13.4s.

-Ed

IMG_4840.jpeg

IMG_4842.jpeg

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4841.jpeg

Reactions: NAProf
Well I finally shot something better than my previous scores. I shot a 198 13X with my Caiman X with it's Arken EPL-4 6-24 set at 24X using H&N Baracuda 18 pellets straight from the tin and through the magazine at about 875 fps. I've tweaked a few things including a new sub base for my monopod to make it sturdier on this tall gun. I can extend the all thread and I did previously but it gets a little wobbly when I do that. More importantly I also made a new bench. My old bench was a light weight portable bench I made that weighs about 18 lbs. This one weighs 38 lbs and has a top built of glued together 2x6 pieces. Legs are doubled up 2x4s squared off at about 2 7/8ths inches. I shoot left handed as you would guess but I could flip the top over for a right handed shooter if I ever need to. The new bench is not a night and day difference but it does allow me to keep my off hand on the bench without it getting wobbly. This is the 4th full target I've shot off it and the one before was a 197, the worst was a 194 (all with the Caiman). But shooting the 197 my point of aim had to shift around to match the point of impact. Not a lot, less than a quarter inch but it was enough to give me a 9 or even an 8 if I didn't catch the switch. Wind was calm during the 197 so I was pretty sure it wasn't that. Before trying a different scope I checked the scope screws. They were not real loose but they weren't really tight either. I shot this target to see if that explanation seems to work and I think it does. I wasted probably 100 pellets shooting with a loose scope! I had no point of impact shifts on this target - that makes it easier.

Caiman X 198 13X.jpg

Caiman X on new bench.jpg

Well I went out about half an hour ago and shot another target. The wind was pretty much not existent. I was hoping for a lot more Xs but all I got was one more point. I submit this 199 13X for the spreadsheet. It was shot with my Caiman X shooting H&N Baracuda 18 pellets at about 875 fps. Scope is my Arken EPL-4 6-24X set at 24X. My point of impact also started moving a tiny amount and I had to aim slightly high on most of these. I'll check the scope mount but if it is tight I may take the stock off and check the barrel grub screws too. Hard to get too upset with a 199 but if it is a loose screw it won't get better. Taking the stock off on these is kind of involved but not too bad. You have to pull the safety bar, take the scope off, and then just unscrew some screws. I shot 5 197s before getting the last two that were a little better. Now if I can find that last point....

Caiman X 199 13X.jpg

This pellet is interesting, it's not as laser accurate as the JTS 18.1 gr in this rifle, but it's getting the job done reasonably well without racking up too many Xs. It takes a little bit more focus to shoot this decently, which I find intriguing and frustrating. I'll probably save these for 50 yards and out if they do well at that distance. Probably not good enough to be competitive in this kind of competition. 30 yard Masters leaderboard submission:

Today is housework day and I still need to vacumn but I took a break and took the stock off the Caiman to check the barrel grub screws. They were very tight as were the scope screws. Taking the stock off means taking the scope off on this rifle so I checked the zero after putting it back together. The resuult is below. I did not have a single shot on the 199 target this well centered. First shot, cold barrel (it is normal for this gun to put the first shot where the rest go). I may check to be sure I have the occular adjusted right but I may just have to live with tiny corrections as I shoot with this gun. Still it's more accurate than I am.

sighted in.jpg

1st try using my FX Maverick .22 700mm Superior Heavy/Slug Liner, no shroud, 182.4g moderator and JSB 18.13gr unsorted rejects @908fps average. Vector Optics Continental VCT-34 5-30X56 FFP

Score: 198/200 14X
Scoring plug: .224
Distance from muzzle: 30 yards
Actual shooting video with tape measured distance:

IMG_5471.jpeg