• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30-Yard Challenge

Shot a card today, score is low but I’m actually quite happy, it was very windy in Mi. Today! A couple other notes I would like to share. I adjusted the crosshairs for the most consistent condition and never looked through my scope again, only pulled the trigger when the condition came to me! (Trigger finger was only thing touching the gun. Also shot the scope on 16x?
IMG_4001.jpeg

Reactions: NAProf and EPG
Shot a card today, score is low but I’m actually quite happy, it was very windy in Mi. Today! A couple other notes I would like to share. I adjusted the crosshairs for the most consistent condition and never looked through my scope again, only pulled the trigger when the condition came to me! (Trigger finger was only thing touching the gun. Also shot the scope on 16x?View attachment 475013

Great 40Y Masters card. Anything north of 190 is really good for this small bull at 40Y.

I understand waiting for your ideal wind condition and using that same hold for each bull, but how do you not look thru the scope when you move from one bull to the next? Also know that the Thomas rifles can just use the trigger only gun touch point.

Reactions: NAProf
I looked through the scope to place cross hairs on each bull but in the same spot on each bull, then waited for the same condition and pulled the trigger but didn’t look through scope till after the shot was fired then on to next bull. So on and so on!

Joe, I was thinking about this a bit more.

I think one of my issues with wind reading while shooting a card is that I try an adapt to my near flag directional changes for each bull, and then try and estimate my next shot/hold based on the current wind condition.

As an example. I am finding that a tail wind is a good wind condition for me, in that I aim between the 8 and 9 rings at 8 o’clock and manage to nail 10’s for a few subsequent bulls. Then my flag might blow left to right or visa versa and I may miss and hit an 8 ring ( or worse) at 9 or 3 o’clock, then I try and figure out my new hold and go back to nailing a few 10’s. So, it is very common for me to see several wind conditions during the process of shooting a card. I am sure this is the same for many.

I have this mentality when I get to the range to shoot 4-6 cards, and because I am impatient, I try and learn my holds with several wind shifts.

Maybe I should ‘wait’ for my ideal tail wind condition and stop shooting until I see the flag go 180 degrees down range. Alternatively, maybe I learn just “two wind conditions” and figure out my holds that will hit 10’s and ignore all other wind shifts and conditions and not shoot until I get the one I want.

I wish I had a dime for every bull that I aimed dead on the X dot when the flag was perfectly still and missed with a 9 or an 8.

Anyway, as this is a “learning thread,” others please chime in.

Joe, I was thinking about this a bit more.

I think one of my issues with wind reading while shooting a card is that I try an adapt to my near flag directional changes for each bull, and then try and estimate my next shot/hold based on the current wind condition.

As an example. I am finding that a tail wind is a good wind condition for me, in that I aim between the 8 and 9 rings at 8 o’clock and manage to nail 10’s for a few subsequent bulls. Then my flag might blow left to right or visa versa and I may miss and hit an 8 ring ( or worse) at 9 or 3 o’clock, then I try and figure out my new hold and go back to nailing a few 10’s. So, it is very common for me to see several wind conditions during the process of shooting a card. I am sure this is the same for many.

I have this mentality when I get to the range to shoot 4-6 cards, and because I am impatient, I try and learn my holds with several wind shifts.

Maybe I should ‘wait’ for my ideal tail wind condition and stop shooting until I see the flag go 180 degrees down range. Alternatively, maybe I learn just “two wind conditions” and figure out my holds that will hit 10’s and ignore all other wind shifts and conditions and not shoot until I get the one I want.

I wish I had a dime for every bull that I aimed dead on the X dot when the flag was perfectly still and missed with a 9 or an 8.

this sounds to me like your overthinking every shot , which builds body tension .

this sounds to me like your overthinking every shot , which builds body tension .

You’re probably right, but clearly there must be some rules of thumb that we have collectively learned while shooting these cards in the wind. I’m just trying to get a bead on some more experienced target shooters, who consistently score well, and in windy conditions.

Reactions: beerthief

I would say this is how benchrest shooters do it. Waiting for your condition instead of trying to shoot through serval conditions. Cool thing about this is we aren't on a time limit like actual benchrest competition.

Reactions: tommyb
I blank one. I can shoot one as good at 50 yards. Do it for practice daily,ɓut not on target. On paper with dots I draw.

Ok, we are all anxiously waiting. Nobody on this entire thread has even seen a 30Y Challenge card shot or posted at 50 yards with these sized rings.

Definitely not a 200-19x!

Looking forward to seeing your card.

I would say this is how benchrest shooters do it. Waiting for your condition instead of trying to shoot through serval conditions. Cool thing about this is we aren't on a time limit like actual benchrest competition.

Yep, I kind of agree. I think trying to master several different wind holds and conditions with changing wind shifts while shooting 20 or 24 bulls is too complicated. I think Joe is on to something here.

Thanks!

In BR competition the clock is a huge factor. If you're waiting for a final shot or two, that's one thing, but when conditions get tough early, well, you find out who knows how to shoot, and who just owns good equipment.

In BR competition the clock is a huge factor. If you're waiting for a final shot or two, that's one thing, but when conditions get tough early, well, you find out who knows how to shoot, and who just owns good equipment.

Very true for competitions like EBR, NAC, RMAC, etc., but this target challenge was created in February 2022 for fun with no time limit. I generally try and shoot my cards in 20 minutes or less to simulate a true competition. Also, I have a tough time waiting for an ideal wind condition and given I am at my outdoor range, I can’t spend too much time waiting to shoot cards.

That said, I like the idea of waiting for one or two wind conditions vs. trying to learn six as an example.

Well let me say that first, the clock is a huge factor in BR shooting and styles of shooting is a factor that you have to be comfortable with and have confidence in.

Shooting without looking through the scope when you pull the trigger is a very unnatural style of shooting, and many just don’t think it’s possible and shoot good scores. I don’t do this style all the time either, just a style I use at times and practice. Some days may require shooting in two different conditions that you have confidence in, It may not be the best style for all comp’s or target shooting in general.

Another factor is having a gun, scope and pellets you have total confidence in. ( you must practice a lot with this combo to get this confidence ) if not you will always second guess your score or reason for the missed shot.

I shot these scores with a gun not totally set up for the bench it’s a FT configuration that I’ve added some equipment that I have adapted to this gun for better bench performance. (You cannot hold onto the gun.)

One last thing if you do not have a solid rest that’s smooth and adjustable in the X and Y axis plus a solid bench it’s almost fruitless, if the gun moves around in the bags again fruitless.
A gun that has a FX trigger ( a heavy trigger ) does not work, I literally do not touch the gun other than my trigger finger. You better have flags or again fruitless!

In no way am I saying this is the best or only way to shoot (real) bench rest, I may not even be doing this correctly? Or even any good at it! But I do have fun and will keep practicing this style of shooting

Last edited:
Reactions: tommyb