30-Yard Challenge

Great target beerthief. Great looking gun too. I think that is a 198 18X the way we score these. Unfortunately your 4 9s are in four cells and you only get to throw out 2. But a 198 is better than I've done this year except for one gun which gave me a 200 (after many, many attempts and I had only 15Xs on that target).

Reactions: beerthief
Not sure how this thread really works, but I thought I would give the 30yd target a try for the first time.

I finally have a 177 to shoot again. Just got my RAW TM1000 back from Motorhead and having him tune it up for me. I only shot some 10s, 13s, 13RDs a couple days ago to see what it likes now and decided to give the 13RDs a real try for the first time today.

Shot 3 cards. Trying to judge these 177s with 22 is really hard when it starts getting close to being an X. Wasn’t sure how you guys did that, and I didn’t want to shove the pellet all the way through.

199, 198, 196.

IMG_6911.jpeg

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6920.jpeg

IMG_6919.jpeg

Reactions: tommyb and EPG
Not sure how this thread really works, but I thought I would give the 30yd target a try for the first time.

I finally have a 177 to shoot again. Just got my RAW TM1000 back from Motorhead and having him tune it up for me. I only shot some 10s, 13s, 13RDs a couple days ago to see what it likes now and decided to give the 13RDs a real try for the first time today.

Shot 3 cards. Trying to judge these 177s with 22 is really hard when it starts getting close to being an X. Wasn’t sure how you guys did that, and I didn’t want to shove the pellet all the way through.

199, 198, 196.
]

Awesome scores and shooting - that 199 will be on our next Leaderboard Update - coming soon.

What speed were you shooting the 13.4s? What scope and magnification were you using?

-Ed

Awesome scores and shooting - that 199 will be on our next Leaderboard Update - coming soon.

What speed were you shooting the 13.4s? What scope and magnification were you using?

-Ed
The rifle is set up for HFT. I was shooting the 13.4RDs around 800 FPS. The scope is a Falcon X50, and magnification is at 16x.

Reactions: EPG
The value of the data we collect for our leaderboards…

Very good wind conditions again today, so I followed up the 30-Masters of 198 and 197 yesterday with the FX Dreamline…

… with a 198 15X 30-Masters and 197 15X 30-Challenge (thought conditions were good for making a run at 200 with 30-Challenge). The 198 30-Masters was so close to perfect, wind increased and I missed 5b. Slight tailwind increase on 9b caused the other 9 - I should have adjusted after 9a went a bit high.

Dreamline was shooting so well at 820-825fps with the 13.4g that I pushed out to try a 40-Challenge - and shot a 195 10X that I’ll submit for our leaderboard. Its the highest 40 yard card I’ve ever shot with .177. (And with only 24x magnification)

I learned about keeping the speed below 840fps with the 13.4s here - from our data. I always shot them too fast in prior years and never had success with them until I lowered velocity.

To close out the day, I shot a 196 13X 40-Masters with the Crown .22 - using the new trigger / hold technique that I have been using with the Dreamline.

So all 4 cards 195+ today - I’m celebrating with bourbon, even though my Patriots lost a tough one.

-Ed

IMG_5388.jpeg

IMG_5385.jpeg

IMG_5387.jpeg

199, 198, 196.

View attachment 496428

View attachment 496430

View attachment 496431

View attachment 496432

Smoky - great scores and even nicer gun and stock. Click on link below and order one of these.

I just purchased a 2nd RAW, which was a TM1000x .177 from Martin earlier this year. I am curious to know what Scott did in his tune. Also, what extras did you order with the rifle? I only use mine for bench shooting ( no FT) and it also shoots high 190’s at 30y.

If you care too, you can PM me or just respond in this post.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Reactions: Smok3y

-Ed
I forgot to mention it, but the wind was actually fairly calm. The app said it was up to 7mph, but down in my hole it wasn’t bad, mostly 3mph or less. Not enough to kill my scores.

The worst shots were straight flyers and a few times I accidentally pulled the trigger (it is light!) before I meant to, but luckily they were still close... closer than the 3 flyers. Card 2 had flyers on the bottom right two sections. Same distance off out of nowhere. Everything about those shots felt perfect like the others and then… what!!! not even any wind to account for them. Luckily they didn’t cost me.

One other odd thing, and I’m still learning with these pellets… the RDs are so much tighter going in. The 10s and old 13s slide right in the breech, but those RDs have to be almost forced in. But they seem to be slightly better. I’ll be curious to see if they stay on top after the sample size increases to more than 1 day. Ha!

I forgot to mention it, but the wind was actually fairly calm. The app said it was up to 7mph, but down in my hole it wasn’t bad, mostly 3mph or less. Not enough to kill my scores.

The worst shots were straight flyers and a few times I accidentally pulled the trigger (it is light!) before I meant to, but luckily they were still close... closer than the 3 flyers. Card 2 had flyers on the bottom right two sections. Same distance off out of nowhere. Everything about those shots felt perfect like the others and then… what!!! not even any wind to account for them. Luckily they didn’t cost me.

One other odd thing, and I’m still learning with these pellets… the RDs are so much tighter going in. The 10s and old 13s slide right in the breech, but those RDs have to be almost forced in. But they seem to be slightly better. I’ll be curious to see if they stay on top after the sample size increases to more than 1 day. Ha!

Russ

FWIW - I have noticed a very unusual phenomenon shooting my FX 13.4g “trash can” pellets which I cannot explain. Almost every card it will throw a wild flier that misses the bull or even box. I thought I may have accidentally loaded it backwards, but it has happened to me about a dozen times. In every case, it ruined getting a high scoring card. Must be a bad pellet as I don’t sort or size, but do try and inspect before chambering.

Russ

FWIW - I have noticed a very unusual phenomenon shooting my FX 13.4g “trash can” pellets which I cannot explain. Almost every card it will throw a wild flier that misses the bull or even box. I thought I may have accidentally loaded it backwards, but it has happened to me about a dozen times. In every case, it ruined getting a high scoring card. Must be a bad pellet as I don’t sort or size, but do try and inspect before chambering.
Tommy,
For what it is worth I did a lot of testing comparing the "trash cans" to the RD's and found the "trash cans" consistently more accurate in my Crowns. That said, I would get occasional flyers with both. I don't sort or weigh the pellets, but as you do I separate out any obviously damaged skirts. After watching a Sub12Airgunners video a while back where they showed how the spring mechanism in most magazines can cause skirt damage on some pellets, I made a change to my Hunter Class Field Target shooting. I now single shot load each pellet (using a CARM loader) and I store the pellets in a case that I got with some "match grade" pellets I ordered. The case holds 100 pellets in a Styrofoam sheet, head down, so I can pick each pellet out easily. Still using the "trash cans" my scores have gone up since then. I don't think all the credit goes there, but it helped.

Cheers,
Greg

Greg

Where did you order your match grade trash can 13.4g? Did not know of such a thing.

The TM1000X does not have an SST nor does it have a magazine, so I only single load each pellet. The breech area is large so even with fat finger Tommy loading them, no problem. I do look at each skirt as I load, but I must be not seeing damage as I am getting a single wild flier once every 20-40 pellets or so. It’s definitely not wind nor velocity change, so I know it has to be the pellet.

I think I got my trash cans from PA or Trenier, but neither says ‘match grade.’

Greg

Where did you order your match grade trash can 13.4g? Did not know of such a thing.

The TM1000X does not have an SST nor does it have a magazine, so I only single load each pellet. The breech area is large so even with fat finger Tommy loading them, no problem. I do look at each skirt as I load, but I must be not seeing damage as I am getting a single wild flier once every 20-40 pellets or so. It’s definitely not wind nor velocity change, so I know it has to be the pellet.

Pretty sure he is talking about some other match grade pellets, and he is reusing that container because they are pretty nice and suit the purpose well for protecting these pellets during competition.

Reactions: NAProf
Channeling my own “Ricky the Airgunnero”, I shot a card at lunch - pushing our Challenge target out further than 40 yards.

Shooting conditions were nice - overcast with mild breeze. I shot rows from top to bottom. You can see the mild breeze R to L picked up on rows 2,3 and 4 - pushing my PoI left.

I took 3 sighters during the card. Without the sighters I would definitely have shot a lower score. Incidentally, my two sighters before Row 4 went through the same hole - would have been Xs, lol.

Distance: 47 Yards (laser measured from front of bench)
Rifle: Taipan Veteran 2 .22 (550mm CZ)
Pellet: FX 25.4g (MRD)
Wind: 2-4 mph
Scope: Athlon Midas Tac FFP 6x24 @ 24X
Score: 191 10X

Dang!! Didn’t think I would break 190 at my first try past 45 yards. This Taipan Vet 2 is amazing at holding accuracy further out - using the heavyweight 25.4g pellets.

I’m certain a 45X Sightron and some practice at this distance and I could beat 191.

Now maybe I should try the FX Crown at this distance…

(I’d put target at exactly 50 yards but its too swampy - 49.3 yards and I start to get wet feet, lol)

[edit] At 3pm, conditions were even calmer - so adding 190 7X 40-Masters at 47 yards. It appears Taipan gets about 55 shots on a fill with this heavy pellet at 850fps. Perhaps as many as 60 as it falls gradually off the reg. My reg is supposedly set at 150 bar.

-Ed

IMG_5400.jpeg

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5401.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5406.jpeg
    IMG_5406.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: tommyb
Shot 7 cards today and wind was very light. I brought the FX Royale .22 and HW100 .22 with me.

I had every intention of shooting both rifles. The Royale has been very consistent and accurate with this Challenge, and I never brought the HW100 to the bench.

I have been experimenting with the new JSB 20.83g pellet and it again shot very well today with the Royale.

I have two leaderboard submissions:

40Y Challenge: 193-11X
This is my first 40Y 190+ card with this rifle. No fliers, no wind and no excuses for not going a bit higher

30Y Masters: 196-15X. I think I can get a 200 Masters with this rifle and this pellet, but I choked a bit on a few bulls.

My wind reading is getting better, but mainly with light winds.

Have some family coming into town, so will be back at it next week.

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Channeling my own “Ricky the Airgunnero”, I shot a card at lunch - pushing our Challenge target out further than 40 yards.

Shooting conditions were nice - overcast with mild breeze. I shot rows from top to bottom. You can see the mild breeze R to L picked up on rows 2,3 and 4 - pushing my PoI left.

I took 3 sighters during the card. Without the sighters I would definitely have shot a lower score. Incidentally, my two sighters before Row 4 went through the same hole - would have been Xs, lol.

Distance: 47 Yards (laser measured from front of bench)
Rifle: Taipan Veteran 2 .22 (550mm CZ)
Pellet: FX 25.4g (MRD)
Wind: 2-4 mph
Scope: Athlon Midas Tac FFP 6x24 @ 24X
Score: 191 10X

Dang!! Didn’t think I would break 190 at my first try past 45 yards. This Taipan Vet 2 is amazing at holding accuracy further out - using the heavyweight 25.4g pellets.

I’m certain a 45X Sightron and some practice at this distance and I could beat 191.

Now maybe I should try the FX Crown at this distance…

(I’d put target at exactly 50 yards but its too swampy - 49.3 yards and I start to get wet feet, lol)

[edit] At 3pm, conditions were even calmer - so adding 190 7X 40-Masters at 47 yards. It appears Taipan gets about 55 shots on a fill with this heavy pellet at 850fps. Perhaps as many as 60 as it falls gradually off the reg. My reg is supposedly set at 150 bar.

-Ed

View attachment 497187

View attachment 497188

View attachment 497189

Ed

Pretty incredible considering almost 50y! I’m not feeling any impulse to shoot beyond 40Y with these tiny 10 rings, but hats off to you and Ricky for pushing the envelope. I have my hands more than full at 40y. Lol

Greg

Tommy,
Sorry for the confusion. As Smok3y said the case was for "Match Grade" 8.4 gr pellets. I just liked the case and the fit with the 13.4gr was good once I glued a piece of foam into the top (to better hold the longer skirts).

By the way, I tested the "Match Grade" 8.4 gr pellets (at about 880 fps) and was not impressed in my rifle. The 13.4's were more accurate (at about 820 fps).

Cheers,
Greg

Reactions: tommyb
I continued my exploration of “Extreme Challenge” distance of 47 Yards with my FX Crown Mk2 .22.

The wind conditions were better than with the Taipan at 47 yards - they were just about perfect.

Alas, my first 47-Challenge card with the Crown was a 189 6X. You can see on my first (top) row that I was not fully sighted in and was still adjusting to trigger change from Taipan.

The 2nd card was a 47-Masters - 187 8X. I was starting to think that the 18.13g were not as consistent as the 25.4g at almost 50 yards.

3rd card was a 47-Masters of 194 11X (!). I really concentrated on this card. At 47 yards, everything is magnified - that slight slip on the trigger that may still have caught the 10-ring at 40 yards is a solid 9 at 47 yards.

I moved back to 40 yards and shot a 191 9X 40-Masters. I started the card great and was thinking “40 is easy now” but I was tiring and started rushing in the fading light.

Learning: It felt like the bigger, heavier 25.4g pellets in the Taipan made it easier at close to 50 yards. It was noticeably breezier when I shot the Taipan and yet it still seemed easier to hit the bullseye. Perhaps its also because the Taipan’s trigger is much smoother than the Crown.

In any case, the Crown did post the highest 47 yard score, but I worked hard for it.

-Ed

IMG_5409.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg

Reactions: JimD
Tommy,
Sorry for the confusion. As Smok3y said the case was for "Match Grade" 8.4 gr pellets. I just liked the case and the fit with the 13.4gr was good once I glued a piece of foam into the top (to better hold the longer skirts).

By the way, I tested the "Match Grade" 8.4 gr pellets (at about 880 fps) and was not impressed in my rifle. The 13.4's were more accurate (at about 820 fps).

Cheers,
Greg

Ok, thanks for clarifying Greg.

Shot 7 cards today and wind was very light. I brought the FX Royale .22 and HW100 .22 with me.

I had every intention of shooting both rifles. The Royale has been very consistent and accurate with this Challenge, and I never brought the HW100 to the bench.

I have been experimenting with the new JSB 20.83g pellet and it again shot very well today with the Royale.

I have two leaderboard submissions:

40Y Challenge: 193-11X
This is my first 40Y 190+ card with this rifle. No fliers, no wind and no excuses for not going a bit higher

30Y Masters: 196-15X. I think I can get a 200 Masters with this rifle and this pellet, but I choked a bit on a few bulls.

My wind reading is getting better, but mainly with light winds.

Have some family coming into town, so will be back at it next week.

View attachment 497268

View attachment 497269

View attachment 497270

Correction on 40y card leaderboard submission. 4B is a “9.” Made an error. 192 is correct score and not a 193.

Leaderboard submission:

30-Masters: 198 14X
Rifle: Weihrauch HW110 .22
Pellet: FX 15.89g @ 715fps
Scope: Athlon Argos Gen 1 6x24 @ 24X

Excellent wind conditions. Shot the 5 shot 30 yard group on paper plate and figured lets try a card with mild 18 ft/lb setup.

Limiting factor was scope. Very clear glass but reticle too fat for precise holds. So I was a bit amazed by this score.

Shot the two 40 yard 5-shot groups after shooting the card. Groups help up very well at forty with the low powered tune.

Sweet trigger on the HW110.

IMG_5418.jpeg

IMG_5421.jpeg

IMG_5422.jpeg

Last edited: