30-Yard Challenge

Shot 30Y Masters only today. Revere .22 with FX Atomic 15.89g at 865-867 FPS.

Light wind, but my shooting and wind reading was not so good today. The Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 FFP is a great scope but the reticle is too thick at 24X. Too many ‘8’s’ and a few 7’s across the five cards.

Best I could do was a 195, but it went down from there.

I forgot my 18.1g pellets.

IMG_1773.jpeg

Reactions: JimD
“Three Cheers for Ed (EPG)” for keeping this Challenge thriving.

I know my accuracy, shooting technique, wind reading, and overall knowledge of target shooting have all significantly improved since shooting my first card 2 1/2 years ago. I suspect this is also true for many others.

Most importantly, for tallying all these scores every month. That has to be a time consuming task!

Everyone really appreciates it and we all just wanted you to know that we don’t take it for granted!

Hi Guys!
It has been a while since I shot any Challenge cards as I have been concentrating on Field Target. I have done pretty well there this year (and I say shooting these targets has helped me), but my wind calls need work. So today is kind of blustery with 6-8 mph winds with gusts to 13mph. A great chance to work on wind calls.
Here is the best 30yd Challenge I have shot this year. A 198-16x. I was holding between about .5 to 1.25 MOA left and just a hair up depending on how the wind felt. More wind more left and up. The first 4 targets on the card were kind of rough, and then I got in a groove.
To give you and idea of how the wind was affecting the pellets I want to show my setup. I tape the Challenge cards to an 14x17 IBS 50yd target and then hang that on my stand (see 2nd picture below for typical setup). This gives me a bunch of bulls to use for sighters. The third picture below shows a closeup
of two bulls where I shot groups with a constant hold while I was trying to figure out the wind. Note the X-dot is the same size as on the challenge targets.
The final picture is my plot of the 20 shots that counted on a single bull to get a physical image of how tight the group needs to be to score high in this challange.
Cheers,
Greg
20240924_150238.jpg
20240924_150344.jpg
20240924_150455.jpg

198-16x 30 yd Challange with Wind.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD
Got out to the range before the rain today.

Shot four 40Y Challenge targets with the RAW HM1000x .22 and Athlon Heras 15-60 2FP scope.

All 4 cards were 190+ and I have a new Leaderboard submission for October. 197-14X.

These JTS Dead Center pellets are liking the RAW. I shoot with the SST exclusively with this rifle. The JTS and JSB 25.4g ‘shallows’ shoot very well in the RAW .

The good news was that there was absolutely no perceivable wind. My flag was dead calm. So, my wind holds were almost non existent as I held on the 10 ring ‘most’ of the time.

So enjoyable shooting with no wind.

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1797.jpeg

Got out to the range before the rain today.

Shot four 40Y Challenge targets with the RAW HM1000x .22 and Athlon Heras 15-60 2FP scope.

All 4 cards were 190+ and I have a new Leaderboard submission for October. 197-14X.

These JTS Dead Center pellets are liking the RAW. I shoot with the SST exclusively with this rifle. The JTS and JSB 25.4g ‘shallows’ shoot very well in the RAW .

The good news was that there was absolutely no perceivable wind. My flag was dead calm. So, my wind holds were almost non existent as I held on the 10 ring ‘most’ of the time.

So enjoyable shooting with no wind.

View attachment 500679

View attachment 500680
Hello @tommyb

Very impressive on all four, but the 197 really shines 😁 (y)(y)(y)

ThomasT

Hello @tommyb

Very impressive on all four, but the 197 really shines 😁 (y)(y)(y)

ThomasT

Thanks Thomas!

I was hoping / trying for my first ever ‘200’ at 40Y, and today with no wind was my best chance. But, if I never get there it’s ok, cause I’ll cherish the good ones. Both RAWs have been excellent shooters for this target challenge and even for some occasional N50 50Y targets.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Leaderboard Submissions:

47-Challenge: 193 11X – FX Power Pup .22 (600mm superlight) with FX 18.13g @ 880fps – Sightron SII 36x (informational – we don’t have a 47 yard board, lol)

30-Challenge: 196 11X – Reximex Daystar .177 (unregulated) with FX 10.3g @ 875fps – Athlon Argos 6x24 @ 24x

30-Challenge: 196 13X – Weihrauch HW110 .22 (410mm) with FX 15.89 @ 710fps (just 18 ft/lbs) – Arken EPL-4 6x24 @ 24x

I also shot a 40-Masters of 187 6x with my .177 Dreamline Classic using a new Midas Tac & 10.3g pellets – but I’m not submitting as I think I can get to a 190 40-Masters with this rifle/pellet/scope.

The 47 yard Power Pup score was under almost perfect wind conditions. My previous 47-Challenge cards with Power Pup were 185 5X and 188 8X on days with mild breezes.

The Reximex Daystar is a super accurate .177 – and would benefit from a different scope. The Athlon Argos 6x24 FFP that is on it has very clear glass at 24x. However, the Argos reticle gets quite thick at 24x – and it does not have a center dot. So, the reticle obscures our tiny target at 24x. I work around this by actually zeroing so that the 10-ring sits just above and just left of the center “T” of the reticle, but this setup makes holding off for wind even more challenging.

I’ve been practicing a lot using a new trigger pull technique – it’s more of a trigger “push” than a pull. I’m not sure that the technique will work great will all my rifles, but it seems to work well with some of them. I also picked up two Midas Tac 6x24 scopes on sale – they are great at 30 yards and pretty good for the 40 yard challenges. The Midas Tac reticle is significantly thinner at 24x than the reticles of the Arken EPL-4 or Athlon Argos at 24x. In my opinion, nothing can touch a Sightron SII 36x for price/performance for target shooting – but I got the Midas Tacs for $319 each on an incredible sale (using a 10% off coupon) – I should have bought 3, lol.

I’ve also been putting adjustable scope mounts from Vector Optics on my rifles. They are really nice (and a huge bargain at less than $30) and allow me to optically center my scope for elevation at 30-40 yards – so that the image is as crisp as possible.

Hope you guys are getting weather as good as I am for getting some lead downrange…

-Ed

IMG_5466.jpeg

IMG_5460.jpeg

IMG_5465.jpeg

IMG_5464.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JimD and ThomasT
Leaderboard Submissions:

47-Challenge: 193 11X – FX Power Pup .22 (600mm superlight) with FX 18.13g @ 880fps – Sightron SII 36x (informational – we don’t have a 47 yard board, lol)

30-Challenge: 196 11X – Reximex Daystar .177 (unregulated) with FX 10.3g @ 875fps – Athlon Argos 6x24 @ 24x

30-Challenge: 196 13X – Weihrauch HW110 .22 (410mm) with FX 15.89 @ 710fps (just 18 ft/lbs) – Arken EPL-4 6x24 @ 24x

I also shot a 40-Masters of 187 6x with my .177 Dreamline Classic using a new Midas Tac & 10.3g pellets – but I’m not submitting as I think I can get to a 190 40-Masters with this rifle/pellet/scope.

The 47 yard Power Pup score was under almost perfect wind conditions. My previous 47-Challenge cards with Power Pup were 185 5X and 188 8X on days with mild breezes.

The Reximex Daystar is a super accurate .177 – and would benefit from a different scope. The Athlon Argos 6x24 FFP that is on it has very clear glass at 24x. However, the Argos reticle gets quite thick at 24x – and it does not have a center dot. So, the reticle obscures our tiny target at 24x. I work around this by actually zeroing so that the 10-ring sits just above and just left of the center “T” of the reticle, but this setup makes holding off for wind even more challenging.

I’ve been practicing a lot using a new trigger pull technique – it’s more of a trigger “push” than a pull. I’m not sure that the technique will work great will all my rifles, but it seems to work well with some of them. I also picked up two Midas Tac 6x24 scopes on sale – they are great at 30 yards and pretty good for the 40 yard challenges. The Midas Tac reticle is significantly thinner at 24x than the reticles of the Arken EPL-4 or Athlon Argos at 24x. In my opinion, nothing can touch a Sightron SII 36x for price/performance for target shooting – but I got the Midas Tacs for $319 each on an incredible sale (using a 10% off coupon) – I should have bought 3, lol.

I’ve also been putting adjustable scope mounts from Vector Optics on my rifles. They are really nice (and a huge bargain at less than $30) and allow me to optically center my scope for elevation at 30-40 yards – so that the image is as crisp as possible.

Hope you guys are getting weather as good as I am for getting some lead downrange…

-Ed

View attachment 500922

View attachment 500923

View attachment 500924

View attachment 500925
Hello @EPG

Nice looking cards (y)

That Reximex is a really nice looking rifle. How may shots are you getting per fill?

ThomasT

Hello @EPG

Nice looking cards (y)

That Reximex is a really nice looking rifle. How may shots are you getting per fill?

ThomasT

Thanks ThomasT.

I gave it the EPG “supertune” via optimized hammer spring sizing - and polished the hammer, the spring, everything.

So 90+ shots - here is the shot string and a picture of the other side of the rifle. I stripped the original finish and rubbed in the TruOil finish on the walnut stock.

Daystar 105 Shot String.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Thanks ThomasT.

I gave it the EPG “supertune” via optimized hammer spring sizing - and polished the hammer, the spring, everything.

So 90+ shots - here is the shot string and a picture of the other side of the rifle. I stripped the original finish and rubbed in the TruOil finish on the walnut stock.

View attachment 500962

View attachment 500963
Hello @EPG

That regulator is doing a great job and your finish work is beautiful.

ThomasT

Shot this as my only card today. It’s a leaderboard submission.

I must have been lucky, it was windy and I kept guessing correctly, but my holds weren’t extreme despite the wind - never further than the 9-ring, although I had to start holding at bottom of 10-ring as tail wind on last two rows.

Honestly felt no pressure as I didn’t think it would score this high and that I was within 2 shots of a 200 40-Masters. Tail wind let up on 10a and that’s why I shot low - it went exactly like I aimed it.

Crown is shooting incredible, shot a 198 40-Masters yesterday.

No more shooting today, heading out with my girl.

[edit - double checked 6b - it just barely touched for a 10]

-Ed

IMG_5486.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5488.jpeg
    IMG_5488.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited: