35 or 45?

OK I do I respond to that ? ....I was actually complimenting you and you turn it that way :rolleyes:

Since you brought it up let's talk about that;

The Sniper .50 you sold me had the airtube severly rusted ( even after I try clean it I had to send you pictures because how bad it was ) then the magazine was broken and the barrel O-ring was missing, that is all I remember at the moment but probably there was more,
anyway a gun should never be sold in them conditions unless very well specified.

that same gun is now in Jeff ( @Privateer ) hand when I sold it to him after fixing it it was in pristine conditions and some with some cool mods to ad ( as he could tell us ) and that is how guns should be sold,........so Yeah I complained, and was in my rights 1000%
sold it to you the same way it was sold to me, for the same price, but then again, i refunded you alot of money because i didnt know the condition of the thing.
there were several pictures for you to see it.
i cant tell you about the mag. i never even had it in my hand.
so get that clear here. you got a healthy refund.

Last edited:
sold it to you the same way it was sold to me, for the same price, but then again, i refunded you alot of money because i didnt know the condition of the thing.
there were several pictures for you to see it.
i cant tell you about the mag. i never even had it in my hand.
so get that clear here. you got a healthy refund.
Indeed I got a healthy refund and I thank you for stepping up, but you brought it upon yourself it was all of your own making.

Rust wasn't visible on the for sale pictures ( otherwise no way I would have even consider it ) and the fact you sold it for the price you got it does not make it right,....when I sell a gun I go thrugh it with a fine comb just to make sure everything is good,..... and some.

Last edited:
Regarding caliber (assuming legal requirements are met), I'd base my decision on bullet availability. Your choice of projectile will determine how a caliber performs.
By choosing a .35, pellets will be an option. While on the other hand, a .45 will offer more fpe. and better slug selection.
The time of flight for your bullet will always limit long range shots. Deer can react very quickly to sound and make a well aimed shot a poor hit.

Indeed I got a healthy refund and I thank you for stepping up, but you brought it upon yourself it was all of your own making.

Rust wasn't visible on the for sale pictures ( otherwise no way I would have even consider it ) and the fact you sold it for the price you got it does not make it right,....when I sell a gun I go thrugh it with a fine comb just to make sure everything is good,..... and some.
Pm each other please. This doesn't need to be here as it isn't relevant to the original question.

Reactions: ba49
Personally I think bigger is better. With that said, I also believe both will .35 or .45 can and will kill a deer fairly easily if the shot placement is right. Bows kill at far less fpe and rely on their ability to cut. Similarly, we should test our penetration on any rounds used with an airgun. The benefits of a larger caliber deal with a larger wound cavity. Which may or may not allow for easier tracking and the opportunity to hit a larger area of the vitals if the shot placement was poor. It really comes down to know your limits and your guns limits.

Pm each other please. This doesn't need to be here as it isn't relevant to the original question.
****Hey, I didn't bring it up and I was actually listening to what he was saying but obviously the guy has some feelings that he felt had to be in the public dominion, so of course I had to respond.

But I agree no need for it to be here.*****

.................Back to regurarly scheduled programming ;)

.452 I think is a great caliber since it's a pistol round you can get bullets way lighter then .457 so you keep velocity up and still have the big .45 cal for wound channel.

There are getting to be more lighter commercial options in .457. I haven't taken any game with my .457 hp max or chronied it either but I have a good gut feeling after shooting some full cans of soup and other dated items and seeing the power. But if you got a 357 that took and shot the heavier stuff it would be pretty capable too. IMO.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Regarding caliber (assuming legal requirements are met), I'd base my decision on bullet availability. Your choice of projectile will determine how a caliber performs.
By choosing a .35, pellets will be an option. While on the other hand, a .45 will offer more fpe. and better slug selection.
The time of flight for your bullet will always limit long range shots. Deer can react very quickly to sound and make a well aimed shot a poor hit.
That is dang good advice man.
Thx
Ray

Reactions: Squack
The new Bulldog M357 is capable of around 300fpe. That is more than enough for Deer. The increased power will provide for higher FPS and less drop.

The Bulldog 457 with over 400FPE is also a great option. Plenty of different slugs to choose from to suit your hunting style. From lower weight and fast, to big slow and heavy.

The new Bulldog M357 is capable of around 300fpe. That is more than enough for Deer. The increased power will provide for higher FPS and less drop.

The Bulldog 457 with over 400FPE is also a great option. Plenty of different slugs to choose from to suit your hunting style. From lower weight and fast, to big slow and heavy.
I've watched a few video's and read some stuff on the Gen 1 Dogs. Are the newer Gen 2's up for whitetail deer at 100 yards?
Thx
Ray

Yes the new M357 is considerably more powerful than the old.bulldog. It would probably be a good choice for you. I only have a Texan and it has its quirk s.
Yea, that's what worries me about trying to purchase any new airgun. You get so many mixed reviews from all over the forums and the youtube reviewers. I'm always hoping they are 100% honest about the gun they are speaking about. If it's got any quirks or shortcomings I want to know about it before I plunk down a wad of cash on it. You see some folks and "EVERY" gun they have is the best or never misses stacking them all in the 10 ring. I'm skeptical at best.
Thx
Ray

Soo I will just jump in on this.. I have shot deer with a lot of 35cal airguns.. from 130fpe to 300fpe .. it comes down to shot placement and range... 300 to 250 fpe will take a deer at 100 yards easy.. 357 has a better b.c. then 45 and will shoot flatter... Now if u go under 250fpe.. keep your shots 75 yards and in.. know the limits of your gun and your skills and you will be fine... Now 45 will more often give u a better blood trail.. bigger hole more damage and you have more room for error with 457 and most all 45cals are shooting in the 300 and up fpe range. So it just becomes a matter of personal preference and how you want to hunt

know the limits of your gun and your skills and you will be fine... So it just becomes a matter of personal preference and how you want to hunt
Best advice you can get.
All guns have their quirks, just pick one that is consummate with your hunting style, your skill level and what is legal in your area and learn it inside and out.
Edit... and another shout out to Matts Bullets. Makes some good stuff. I like to cast my own as well, but I'll still buy from him

Both the Bulldog and Texans have lother Wather barrels. So when buying either it is a crapshoot...Maybe you get a good barrel maybe you don't. In both cases of lother Wather barrels on both Texan and Bulldog don't be surprised if you have leading issues....Which will in turn send down the road of fire lapping or hand lapping your bore. Both common with Bulldog and Texans. Airgun s aren't magic!!!! They don't shoot without smooth straight bores any cal..

Airgun s aren't magic!!!! They don't shoot without smooth straight bores any cal..
Best advice you can get, take two! I just picked up my second Texan and havent had a chance to run it through its paces yet, but given my experience with the first, I may be doing some lapping. I've not had to yet on my Bulldog, but I've not shot it a ton. Was worked over by Veradium Air and it's a beast...and very accurate with the right bullets.

Both the Bulldog and Texans have lother Wather barrels. So when buying either it is a crapshoot...Maybe you get a good barrel maybe you don't. In both cases of lother Wather barrels on both Texan and Bulldog don't be surprised if you have leading issues....Which will in turn send down the road of fire lapping or hand lapping your bore. Both common with Bulldog and Texans. Airgun s aren't magic!!!! They don't shoot without smooth straight bores any cal..
Wow, I've always been led to believe that LW barrels were the stuff dreams were made of. Don't believe I've heard of anyone speaking unkindly about them. Guess it goes to show that not everything that's over priced is better. I'm glad I started this thread cause I've learned a ton just in these 2 pages.
Thanks for all the input fellows. I appreciate it. Keep it coming for sure :)

Thx
Ray

My advice... and note that I've only taken a few deer with airguns. I know others here have way more experience...
I would go at least 45 cal. I would then forego this fall for harvesting unless you have plenty of time beforehand to get to know your gun.

Maybe I'm just too picky with it, but before I took my first deer with an airgun I took the time to find the best bullet for it and that took a bit of testing... limited myself to 50 yards and no more... and plotted trajectory from 15-50 yards so I knew precisely where I was going to hit at a given range.

The next year I was prepared for a 75 yard shot, but fortunately one found its way into my crosshairs under 50 yards. I'm not sure I would have been comfortable going out to 100 yards with a new airgun with only a few months of figuring out what it's capabilities were. Not saying it cant be done or that I'm 'better than thou' or anything. Just my comfort level.

Rob, I have thought about that. I remember getting my Prod and tuning it for weeks to get it where I wanted it to be come squirrel season. It was a task, but it was doable. I've black powder hunted and some have said airgun hunting is closer to that than PB hunting. So that will surely help when it comes to the kentucky windage side of things :). I surely do appreciate the comment sir.

Thx
Ray