35 or 45?

It is capable of taking white tails 100 plus. There is plenty of ammo in 357 and the list keeps growing.
That sounds promising. Is that a double lung shot? I've been told big bore airguns are like hunting with muzzle loaders. Low velocity and heavy large diameter ammo. I'm starting to lean more toward the 357 , but then again there are so many who rant about blood loss through a larger entry exit hole, ergo the 457 vs. the 357 question. I like the ability to take deer out to 100 yards. I typically hunt places where a long range shot would be between 50 and 75 yards but knowing I can stretch it out to 100 yards if the need arises sounds good.

Thx
Ray

That sounds promising. Is that a double lung shot? I've been told big bore airguns are like hunting with muzzle loaders. Low velocity and heavy large diameter ammo. I'm starting to lean more toward the 357 , but then again there are so many who rant about blood loss through a larger entry exit hole, ergo the 457 vs. the 357 question. I like the ability to take deer out to 100 yards. I typically hunt places where a long range shot would be between 50 and 75 yards but knowing I can stretch it out to 100 yards if the need arises sounds good.

Thx
Ray

@ray1377 You have the benefit of very relaxed caliber restrictions in MS. I hunt with a .357 because it’s proven effective. I have yet to see a good blood trail, but they haven’t run far on me with decently placed vital shots. I aim for lungs not the heart. But I’ve also read of others shooting .45 and don’t get great blood trails either. I can only speak from experience here. I’m not yet hunting with semi-wadcutters or wadcutters so it’s hard to say if there’s a noticeable difference. I have been using light hollow points and have gotten passthroughs from 40-65 yards. Dunno how a Mississippi deer compares to an East Texas deer, but ours are relatively small deer. I’m no expert but I hope this helps some. I like watching Michigan Airgunner’s videos because he can keep the scope cam on a running deer and sometimes you can see the blood come from a deer’s wound(s) or nostrils.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotay42
@ray1377 You have the benefit of very relaxed caliber restrictions in MS. I hunt with a .357 because it’s proven effective. I have yet to see a good blood trail, but they haven’t run far on me with decently placed vital shots. I aim for lungs not the heart. But I’ve also read of others shooting .45 and don’t get grey blood trails either. I can only speak form experience here. I’m not yet hunting with semi-wadcutters or wadcutters so it’s hard to say if there’s a noticeable difference. I have been using light hollow points and have gotten passthroughs from 40-65 yards. Dunno how a Mississippi deer compares to an East Texas deer, but ours are relatively small deer. I’m not expert but I hope this helps some. I like watching Michigan Airgunner’s videos because he can keep the scope cam on a running deer and sometimes you can see the blood come from a deer’s wound(s) or nostrils.
With my PB I usually go for lung and heart shots and there is plenty of blood loss. But a big bore is a different machine compared to that.
I like watching his videos as well. He gets special permits to be able to hunt almost year around to dispatch whitetails. I think he takes a good many head and neck shots. He gets to test a bunch of different big bores and he actually "hunts" with them so we can see how they perform in a real world situation. I like that part for sure. I want to believe he chimed in here last year and suggested a .357 for taking deer. As for mississippi whitetail, our deer average between 150 to over 200 lbs. depending on what part of the state you hunt.
Thx
Ray

I've been watching videos on modern muzzleloaders recently. I'll keep this short but... for deer, they seem to be a better choice than any air rifle, in pretty much every way.
Yes, I've hunted with muzzle loaders but then again that sort of takes away from the part of killing a deer with an air gun.
Thx
Ray

If I had the cash laying around at this particular moment in time I would grab that thing in a heartbeat.
Thx
Ray
Well keep saving then buy a DAQ used. Back when legal in TN had the .458 LA Outlaw ( a bandit has the cocking lug sticking out the back and I personally would avoid that one unless I knew the owner well) Such a nice rig, "standard" grade walnut that would be called 2+ grade at a show. 2 shots roughly MOA at 100 plenty of power, single cut rifling, great bluing ..... and a hand made in america rifle. Put the Muzzle loader adapter , just a piece that covered the loading port & needed a wrench to install/remove and lent it to a friend in a State where airguns were muzzle loader only for deer. He really enjoined a successful hunt too. Would have kept it but TN law changed - both max cal. and animals- and another shooter was happy to pay what I payed new, and he was happy so.
Have owned a Bulldog. Will hunt (under 50) but no comparison.

John

Well keep saving then buy a DAQ used. Back when legal in TN had the .458 LA Outlaw ( a bandit has the cocking lug sticking out the back and I personally would avoid that one unless I knew the owner well) Such a nice rig, "standard" grade walnut that would be called 2+ grade at a show. 2 shots roughly MOA at 100 plenty of power, single cut rifling, great bluing ..... and a hand made in america rifle. Put the Muzzle loader adapter , just a piece that covered the loading port & needed a wrench to install/remove and lent it to a friend in a State where airguns were muzzle loader only for deer. He really enjoined a successful hunt too. Would have kept it but TN law changed - both max cal. and animals- and another shooter was happy to pay what I payed new, and he was happy so.

John

John
Takes money to play I'm afraid. I'm not able to play like I'd like to but I can dream;)
I'm sure planning on having a big bore before the gun season opens in November.
Leaning heavily toward 45 at this point.
Thx
Ray