3D printed air guns are here!!

SavageFox,
I'm with you on 3d printing a pcp pistol.
I've been fdm and resin printing for some time now.

For me, it's more for the challenge to 3d print things and frown on someone telling me I can't do it.
I'd like to see your project move forward.

Rod in San Francisco

Vent.jpg

The gun is basically designed with all the mechanisms working (in theory), 23 cm, 17,5 barrel lenght, adjustable sights in windage and elevation (I copy the simple rear screw system of the 1377) single and double action, honestly the double action is just for fun only, the trigger pull and length is atrocious cause you need to compress the spring with your finger... its doable but not near any regular pistol standard. The single action on the other hand SHOULD work great, the cooking itself leaves the trigger at the last stage and I adapted a crossbow release concept so the pressure required to free the hammer are gonna be smooth as poopting custard.

I discarded the mag concept in favor for a 12 round cilinder to better insult the Huben Gk1 1400 frikish buch pistol, and mine will have a end treath on you can mount a silencer AND a barrel extender to skyrochet the power if you purchase another 8 buck crappy steel barrel.

Well... now I still need to place the screw holes yo hold all in place, then I will give a makeup to make the gun presentable and pretty, I think I will go for a vintage futuristic look, maybe stamp ''Tartarian tech'' and a cool gryphon somewhere, then I will need to print test parts to tune the tolerances, with all done, I will need to print a prototype and check if all work, but it surely won't... so I will need to adjust maths and lenghts untill I have a flawlessly working end model WHITOUT the PCP tank and fundamental parts, cause mounting it is illegal in my country, then I will need to order it on a 3d printing service OUTSIDE my country, and import it as a registrated airgun before I can show it in a video.

For the name I think something like Poor man's GK1 or The Cheapo.

I know the aliexpress ''tubes'' and I even have a couple. Problem, you will also need a rifling button wich you can get at the same web + some equipment (a small diameter steel rod, a hammer and a lot of patience). But.... the weight of those barrels is just too much for airguns. You don't need that much steel to contain the pressures of any pcp you can make. I experimented with brass, aluminium and copper pipes as low as 1mm thickness, shooting 16mm marbles (note all marbles are not created equal... but in a 1 buck bag you found plenty of 16mm fits) out from a HDP.50 in co2 and pcp remoted at 1100 PSI with no problem. Why brass and cooper? those materials are better heat conductors than aluminium, and aluminium are a better conductor than steel. The pressured gases needs temperature to expand, its a bit counter intuitive, but your Co2 gun freezes when it shoot because the gas steals the heat of the barrel, that why Co2 greatly benefits in power with bigger bores, cause you give it more surface to steal heat and expand. In pcp the power difference beetween materials, as long its metal didnt worth going that far, plus, a brass or aluminium barrel it's only good for projectiles from softer materials that the barrel itself, thats why steel is the common choice.

The pressure difference with firearms is insane, with an airgun you will be fine with small barrel thickness. If you want power with air, you need surface and distance, big diameters and long barrels, it doesn't really matter the thickness, almost anything will be in safe range, ****, the stock 2240 and 1377 have crappy plastic breeches, and even your standard Co2 plinkers have tiny plastic cilinders to allocate the pellets.
I bought one of these barrels. I was going to experiment with a long smooth bore.

I asked here previously if the crowned steel tube that I bought on AliExpress was deliberately undersized to allow rifling. The tube was ID 4.37 mm instead of the advertised 4.5.

The reply I received did not answer my question. Instead the poster criticized me for tying to return it.

I guess you finally answered it.

Thank you.

Reactions: Savagefox
I bought one of these barrels. I was going to experiment with a long smooth bore.

I asked here previously if the crowned steel tube that I bought on AliExpress was deliberately undersized to allow rifling. The tube was ID 4.37 mm instead of the advertised 4.5.

The reply I received did not answer my question. Instead the poster criticized me for tying to return it.

I guess you finally answered it.

Thank you.

Not sure about it... the 5.5 barrel I ordered also come about 5.4, the 5.5 pellets dont fit. Even if you hammer the rifling button, that don't make any difference on the diameter, just put grooves on the barrel, so the inteded pellet won't fit either.

I wanted to order a 5.6 to check if it goes well with 5.5 pellets, but... 5.6 is a problematic diameter cause is compatible with the .22lr, and my country is pretty absurd and abusive with weapons, ordering a thing with a firearm diameter labeled in the package may be a problem. I know a case of someone who got his house raided by swat team just for make stupid airgun things for personal use, that don't even surpass the legal power limit, he has to go to court every 15 days now, still no acussation, but the press marks him has a white supremacist with an arsenal of weapons... no friking joke...

I know the aliexpress ''tubes'' and I even have a couple. Problem, you will also need a rifling button wich you can get at the same web + some equipment (a small diameter steel rod, a hammer and a lot of patience). But.... the weight of those barrels is just too much for airguns. You don't need that much steel to contain the pressures of any pcp you can make. I experimented with brass, aluminium and copper pipes as low as 1mm thickness, shooting 16mm marbles (note all marbles are not created equal... but in a 1 buck bag you found plenty of 16mm fits) out from a HDP.50 in co2 and pcp remoted at 1100 PSI with no problem. Why brass and cooper? those materials are better heat conductors than aluminium, and aluminium are a better conductor than steel. The pressured gases needs temperature to expand, its a bit counter intuitive, but your Co2 gun freezes when it shoot because the gas steals the heat of the barrel, that why Co2 greatly benefits in power with bigger bores, cause you give it more surface to steal heat and expand. In pcp the power difference beetween materials, as long its metal didnt worth going that far, plus, a brass or aluminium barrel it's only good for projectiles from softer materials that the barrel itself, thats why steel is the common choice.

The pressure difference with firearms is insane, with an airgun you will be fine with small barrel thickness. If you want power with air, you need surface and distance, big diameters and long barrels, it doesn't really matter the thickness, almost anything will be in safe range, ****, the stock 2240 and 1377 have crappy plastic breeches, and even your standard Co2 plinkers have tiny plastic cilinders to allocate the pellets.
Wow, this whole Co2 stuff with aluminum or copper barrels and gas expansion is quite neat, I didn't know that greater bore diameters benefit the expansion of Co2 that much... That's probably the reason why T4E guns with longer barrels can develop such high muzzle energies with .68 caliber balls, i.e. the HDX .68 with an 88g capsule. Speaking of marbles being shot out of airguns, what about marbles being shot out of an adapter for blank guns in 9 mil? What kind of energy do you think, they'd develop, should they not shatter?

All true bout the pressures in the barrels, but in the end, springer barrels can and do handle .22LR/Rimfire pressures in general. There are a variety of different videos on you-tube (you just have to find them - try "Carabina modos para .22lr") of mostly Brazilian gangsters/poachers shooting converted springers. Most popular models for conversion are SWB, Cometa and Magtech airguns, for them. They just drill out a chamber for .22lr and then bore through the front end of the receiver and modify the piston to have a firing pin of some kind (I've seen rebars welded into the piston as such); As well as cut down the mainspring, you don't exactly need a 300+mm long mainspring to light up a flobert type cartridge with a gargantuan piston.

Another funny instance of a modified-to-rimfire springer that I saw, was from somewhere in Ukraine, where a Russian was found shot, with a converted QB-57 springer... oh boy, the memes out of that one were pure gold.

Wow, this whole Co2 stuff with aluminum or copper barrels and gas expansion is quite neat, I didn't know that greater bore diameters benefit the expansion of Co2 that much... That's probably the reason why T4E guns with longer barrels can develop such high muzzle energies with .68 caliber balls, i.e. the HDX .68 with an 88g capsule. Speaking of marbles being shot out of airguns, what about marbles being shot out of an adapter for blank guns in 9 mil? What kind of energy do you think, they'd develop, should they not shatter?

All true bout the pressures in the barrels, but in the end, springer barrels can and do handle .22LR/Rimfire pressures in general. There are a variety of different videos on you-tube (you just have to find them - try "Carabina modos para .22lr") of mostly Brazilian gangsters/poachers shooting converted springers. Most popular models for conversion are SWB, Cometa and Magtech airguns, for them. They just drill out a chamber for .22lr and then bore through the front end of the receiver and modify the piston to have a firing pin of some kind (I've seen rebars welded into the piston as such); As well as cut down the mainspring, you don't exactly need a 300+mm long mainspring to light up a flobert type cartridge with a gargantuan piston.

Another funny instance of a modified-to-rimfire springer that I saw, was from somewhere in Ukraine, where a Russian was found shot, with a converted QB-57 springer... oh boy, the memes out of that one were pure gold.

The 5.5 air springer barrels to .22lr is true, they are also used in Africa, you drill enough diamether for the case, replace the piston with a percutor thingy and you are basically good to go on models with thick barrels BUT.... still pretty dangerous, The .22 have to squeeze to that barrel more than with a legit firearm barrel, plus, I don't think a springer barrel got much of a heat treatment for tensile resistance. Those people are risquing their lives every time they pull the trigger, I bet that some of them got a pair of fingers or part of the cheek and an eye blowned off.

In that sense, a standard flobert black is much more safe, the flobert system don't actually uses powder, just fulminant, and the power figures range from 20 to 40 joule, not that far from a powerfull airgun, but still a lot of things could go wrong, air is air, and a detonation is a detonation with a much more dangerous pressure spike.

As of use a regular blank to shoot a marble, well... that would be easy, you just need to 3d print a external surrounding case or even make a aluminium or clay (?) cast for the blank to make it fit on that barrel, and here you go. Problems... I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in almost any country and state, plus, you can't put a rubber bump to give the ball some spin like in airsoft guns, but with that speed, I guess you are good at any regular handgun distance, smooth bore shotguns with round slugs performs pretty well at 80 metters or so.

THe question there is... why marbles instead of regular chrome or steel balls? sure I seen those marbles shatter rocks with literally not a scratch to the damn thing, but a firearm explosion sets a diferent stage for materials, for example, the mithical ice bullet of some cheesy movies is bullpoop, the firearm detonation pulverize the thing along the barrel, and maybe can shatter glass as well cause the sound waves of the detionation or some weird crap.

If you are on a state or a country where, making a DIY firearm that shoots marbles or round metal balls is legal, you can posibly walk to store and just purchase a damn military machinegun or something, so you don't have any need to do it, as for poops and giggles, well, Joerg Sprave have already prove that you can shoot a round ball with a blank with lethal outcome:

I have a "flobert" revolver, that is considered an airgun as well as a blank/starter pistol, by the gun legislation of my country (all legally bought). The thing with this revolver is, that it's actually much more versatile than an actual 5,6mm flobert gun, because it fires .22 caliber (up to 5.55mm) pellets with the use of short 6mm/.22 flobert blank cartridges (you know, those tiny, little acorn-shaped starter rounds). I've shot all kinds of pellets and slugs through that gun, mostly COAL Classic wadcutters, JSB Express 5.52s and Knock-Out (25.39gr) slugs. The slugs flew slowly, but sure hit hard, much harder than 15+ grain pellets; They were also quite accurate from this smooth-bore revolver and were being slung at some 140 m/s out of the muzzle. The energies the pellets/slugs developed at the muzzle of this gun, ranged from 15-22 Joules, depending on the brand of the blanks and the weight of the projectiles (the bosnian Pobjeda/Maxx-Tech blanks were the most powerful, second to the RWS/Geco brand and the S&B ranked the least powerful). Here's an article I wrote about this revolver on the site:

For certain now, this thing didn't exactly develop as much power, that a long flobert gun in 6mm would, with a rifled barrel. My revolver's got a 4.5" barrel. A full-power variant of a 6mm ME flobert long gun develops up to 50 Joules. This has been confirmed by the Czechs and Ukrainians, where guns like these are quite common and belong into the C-1 category in Czech Republic, where they're are a subject to declaration only, as of 2022. You do not need a firearms licence there to get a gun as such, just the delclaration is sufficient. In Hungary however, traumatic guns are sold over the counter - both 12mm and 15mm, possibly 9mm too. In France the authorities allow their citizens to transform (without any notifications required) blank guns, chambered in 9mm PAK mostly, into less-lethal, single-shot defense weapons by threading a Self-Gomm/SAPL rubber ball adapter into the muzzle of the barrel, which is of course, threaded. They call these kinds of weapons "Gomm Cogne" and they fire 15-20mm rubber projectiles and slugs that can penetrate a refrigerator door with more than 80 Joules at fifteen meters. Self-Gomm balls are 18mm, whilst SAPL are 20mm. These things are not toys at all and they're certainly adequate for home-defense in case of an invasion, with the use of rubber balls. Retay company even makes an 2"+ long adapter with a bore diameter of .68 - 17,3 mm, which means that you can even fire paintball cartridges out of a blank gun with it, although unsafely for paintball sports, because I think they'd have the potential to cause serious harm and trauma to whomever would be shot by one of these balls. The energy levels of rubber balls range from 35-50+ Joules with the SAPL adapter, which as I've already explained, would not exactly be lethal, however it could very well happen to be so.

And that brings me to the video you've shared... I've seen this video a while ago. For the last 20 years or so, both 8mm Knall and 9mm PAK front-firing blank guns were considered actual firearms and required a firearms licence for purchase in my country. Things have changed for the better since the last year, and they're now over-the-counter items, that anyone over 18 can buy and sell to another person of full age. Blank guns in 8 and 9mm PAK had to be top-firing only in order to be sold over the counter, whilst 6mm flobert - short guns were o-t-c all along. The reason this change in the law was made, lies in the fact that both PTB-certified guns and those that do not have a PTB certificate, but have a manufacturer that complies to the 2019 technical-parameters/specifications document, are made in such a way, that cannot be converted to live guns by ALMOST, if even possible, means. It kind of seems to me, that the governments within the EU have figured, that top-firing guns are able to be converted to live guns with a greater success rate than front-firing ones 🤔 UK still hasn't lifted their ban on front-firing guns and they're never going to, as things are getting worse in that country day by day for the natives, especially for those that are armed...

Back to the marbles... I've acquired the Sig P320 blank banger in 9mm PAK last year, as I've been running around with a 6mm flobert blank gun till then; I usually take a blank gun with me when I go hiking or mushroom picking, to scare off any possible wild beast I might encounter in my travels, we've got a lot of wild boars after all, and since I got that gun I've kind of been wanting to do some actual single-shot target practice with it, you know, by shooting marbles out with an adapter, as I've got plenty of marbles od all kinds. I even found an iron threaded tube in my local hardware store, that I could thread onto the gun, which has a 7mm inner diameter, and those marbles are anywhere in between 5-9mms, so it would work just as Joerg has described in his video :) Now in order to shoot slingshot balls (of whatever diameter) with a blank gun, I'd require a threaded tube with the said diameter and there probably aren't any such out there, I know, cause I looked everywhere... but I have found this tube through which I could theoretically shoot marbles. Last year, by new years eve, I've probably shot more than a 100 firework cartridges with my P320, works just like the real thing, only it shoots rockets and fireworks ;) Love the damn thing. At one point, I headed out into the woods and shot a beer can with a rubber ball that I squeezed into the flare adapter, it crimped that can like it was nothing :ROFLMAO: I felt like I shot it with an actual 9 mil.

Yeah, I've heard about that glass bullet thing... it's bizzare that someone was actually to come up with such an idea, haha

One more thing about the flobert/rimfire type of cartridges I once heard in some podcast about the manufacturing of .22LR ammo; The fluminant as you've described it (I just call it the priming compound) is actually dropped in a liquid state into the empty cases during the priming process of reloading rimfire ammo, the cases are set up-right on a spinning table that gets powered up and which generates centrifugal force that then smears the priming compounds all along the bottom of the cases evenly, the more even the compound will get distributed into the canal of the trough in the rim, the more precise ignition will be and will therefore provide greater accuracy to the projectile. Now that's interesting.

The 5.5 air springer barrels to .22lr is true, they are also used in Africa, you drill enough diamether for the case, replace the piston with a percutor thingy and you are basically good to go on models with thick barrels BUT.... still pretty dangerous, The .22 have to squeeze to that barrel more than with a legit firearm barrel, plus, I don't think a springer barrel got much of a heat treatment for tensile resistance. Those people are risquing their lives every time they pull the trigger, I bet that some of them got a pair of fingers or part of the cheek and an eye blowned off.

In that sense, a standard flobert black is much more safe, the flobert system don't actually uses powder, just fulminant, and the power figures range from 20 to 40 joule, not that far from a powerfull airgun, but still a lot of things could go wrong, air is air, and a detonation is a detonation with a much more dangerous pressure spike.

As of use a regular blank to shoot a marble, well... that would be easy, you just need to 3d print a external surrounding case or even make a aluminium or clay (?) cast for the blank to make it fit on that barrel, and here you go. Problems... I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in almost any country and state, plus, you can't put a rubber bump to give the ball some spin like in airsoft guns, but with that speed, I guess you are good at any regular handgun distance, smooth bore shotguns with round slugs performs pretty well at 80 metters or so.

THe question there is... why marbles instead of regular chrome or steel balls? sure I seen those marbles shatter rocks with literally not a scratch to the damn thing, but a firearm explosion sets a diferent stage for materials, for example, the mithical ice bullet of some cheesy movies is bullpoop, the firearm detonation pulverize the thing along the barrel, and maybe can shatter glass as well cause the sound waves of the detionation or some weird crap.

If you are on a state or a country where, making a DIY firearm that shoots marbles or round metal balls is legal, you can posibly walk to store and just purchase a damn military machinegun or something, so you don't have any need to do it, as for poops and giggles, well, Joerg Sprave have already prove that you can shoot a round ball with a blank with lethal outcome:

I have a "flobert" revolver, that is considered an airgun as well as a blank/starter pistol, by the gun legislation of my country (all legally bought). The thing with this revolver is, that it's actually much more versatile than an actual 5,6mm flobert gun, because it fires .22 caliber (up to 5.55mm) pellets with the use of short 6mm/.22 flobert blank cartridges (you know, those tiny, little acorn-shaped starter rounds). I've shot all kinds of pellets and slugs through that gun, mostly COAL Classic wadcutters, JSB Express 5.52s and Knock-Out (25.39gr) slugs. The slugs flew slowly, but sure hit hard, much harder than 15+ grain pellets; They were also quite accurate from this smooth-bore revolver and were being slung at some 140 m/s out of the muzzle. The energies the pellets/slugs developed at the muzzle of this gun, ranged from 15-22 Joules, depending on the brand of the blanks and the weight of the projectiles (the bosnian Pobjeda/Maxx-Tech blanks were the most powerful, second to the RWS/Geco brand and the S&B ranked the least powerful). Here's an article I wrote about this revolver on the site:

Are there any revolvers similar to the Ekol/Voltran Viper 550 out there?

Greetings everyone, I'm about to discuss an "air" revolver, that most of you've probably never heard of and by the way, I'm not making this up, this thing actually exists and it's awesome as it can be, it's like a true S&W classic, but miniaturised in terms of its caliber, to shoot airgun...
www.airgunnation.com
www.airgunnation.com

For certain now, this thing didn't exactly develop as much power, that a long flobert gun in 6mm would, with a rifled barrel. My revolver's got a 4.5" barrel. A full-power variant of a 6mm ME flobert long gun develops up to 50 Joules. This has been confirmed by the Czechs and Ukrainians, where guns like these are quite common and belong into the C-1 category in Czech Republic, where they're are a subject to declaration only, as of 2022. You do not need a firearms licence there to get a gun as such, just the delclaration is sufficient. In Hungary however, traumatic guns are sold over the counter - both 12mm and 15mm, possibly 9mm too. In France the authorities allow their citizens to transform (without any notifications required) blank guns, chambered in 9mm PAK mostly, into less-lethal, single-shot defense weapons by threading a Self-Gomm/SAPL rubber ball adapter into the muzzle of the barrel, which is of course, threaded. They call these kinds of weapons "Gomm Cogne" and they fire 15-20mm rubber projectiles and slugs that can penetrate a refrigerator door with more than 80 Joules at fifteen meters. Self-Gomm balls are 18mm, whilst SAPL are 20mm. These things are not toys at all and they're certainly adequate for home-defense in case of an invasion, with the use of rubber balls. Retay company even makes an 2"+ long adapter with a bore diameter of .68 - 17,3 mm, which means that you can even fire paintball cartridges out of a blank gun with it, although unsafely for paintball sports, because I think they'd have the potential to cause serious harm and trauma to whomever would be shot by one of these balls. The energy levels of rubber balls range from 35-50+ Joules with the SAPL adapter, which as I've already explained, would not exactly be lethal, however it could very well happen to be so.

And that brings me to the video you've shared... I've seen this video a while ago. For the last 20 years or so, both 8mm Knall and 9mm PAK front-firing blank guns were considered actual firearms and required a firearms licence for purchase in my country. Things have changed for the better since the last year, and they're now over-the-counter items, that anyone over 18 can buy and sell to another person of full age. Blank guns in 8 and 9mm PAK had to be top-firing only in order to be sold over the counter, whilst 6mm flobert - short guns were o-t-c all along. The reason this change in the law was made, lies in the fact that both PTB-certified guns and those that do not have a PTB certificate, but have a manufacturer that complies to the 2019 technical-parameters/specifications document, are made in such a way, that cannot be converted to live guns by ALMOST, if even possible, means. It kind of seems to me, that the governments within the EU have figured, that top-firing guns are able to be converted to live guns with a greater success rate than front-firing ones 🤔 UK still hasn't lifted their ban on front-firing guns and they're never going to, as things are getting worse in that country day by day for the natives, especially for those that are armed...

Back to the marbles... I've acquired the Sig P320 blank banger in 9mm PAK last year, as I've been running around with a 6mm flobert blank gun till then; I usually take a blank gun with me when I go hiking or mushroom picking, to scare off any possible wild beast I might encounter in my travels, we've got a lot of wild boars after all, and since I got that gun I've kind of been wanting to do some actual single-shot target practice with it, you know, by shooting marbles out with an adapter, as I've got plenty of marbles od all kinds. I even found an iron threaded tube in my local hardware store, that I could thread onto the gun, which has a 7mm inner diameter, and those marbles are anywhere in between 5-9mms, so it would work just as Joerg has described in his video :) Now in order to shoot slingshot balls (of whatever diameter) with a blank gun, I'd require a threaded tube with the said diameter and there probably aren't any such out there, I know, cause I looked everywhere... but I have found this tube through which I could theoretically shoot marbles. Last year, by new years eve, I've probably shot more than a 100 firework cartridges with my P320, works just like the real thing, only it shoots rockets and fireworks ;) Love the damn thing. At one point, I headed out into the woods and shot a beer can with a rubber ball that I squeezed into the flare adapter, it crimped that can like it was nothing :ROFLMAO: I felt like I shot it with an actual 9 mil.

Yeah, I've heard about that glass bullet thing... it's bizzare that someone was actually to come up with such an idea, haha

One more thing about the flobert/rimfire type of cartridges I once heard in some podcast about the manufacturing of .22LR ammo; The fluminant as you've described it (I just call it the priming compound) is actually dropped in a liquid state into the empty cases during the priming process of reloading rimfire ammo, the cases are set up-right on a spinning table that gets powered up and which generates centrifugal force that then smears the priming compounds all along the bottom of the cases evenly, the more even the compound will get distributed into the canal of the trough in the rim, the more precise ignition will be and will therefore provide greater accuracy to the projectile. Now that's interesting.

View attachment 377892

The gun is basically designed with all the mechanisms working (in theory), 23 cm, 17,5 barrel lenght, adjustable sights in windage and elevation (I copy the simple rear screw system of the 1377) single and double action, honestly the double action is just for fun only, the trigger pull and length is atrocious cause you need to compress the spring with your finger... its doable but not near any regular pistol standard. The single action on the other hand SHOULD work great, the cooking itself leaves the trigger at the last stage and I adapted a crossbow release concept so the pressure required to free the hammer are gonna be smooth as poopting custard.

I discarded the mag concept in favor for a 12 round cilinder to better insult the Huben Gk1 1400 frikish buch pistol, and mine will have a end treath on you can mount a silencer AND a barrel extender to skyrochet the power if you purchase another 8 buck crappy steel barrel.

Well... now I still need to place the screw holes yo hold all in place, then I will give a makeup to make the gun presentable and pretty, I think I will go for a vintage futuristic look, maybe stamp ''Tartarian tech'' and a cool gryphon somewhere, then I will need to print test parts to tune the tolerances, with all done, I will need to print a prototype and check if all work, but it surely won't... so I will need to adjust maths and lenghts untill I have a flawlessly working end model WHITOUT the PCP tank and fundamental parts, cause mounting it is illegal in my country, then I will need to order it on a 3d printing service OUTSIDE my country, and import it as a registrated airgun before I can show it in a video.

For the name I think something like Poor man's GK1 or The Cheapo.
Hold on, are you working in Sketch-up?! 👀
How the f** can you even get anything done in that thing :ROFLMAO:

I quit Sketchup years ago and moved to blender/3ds max and now fusion360 -just update the "students" license every year and you're good to go.

Hold on, are you working in Sketch-up?! 👀
How the f** can you even get anything done in that thing :ROFLMAO:

I quit Sketchup years ago and moved to blender/3ds max and now fusion360 -just update the "students" license every year and you're good to go.

Yep, Using sketchup... funny thing is that I actually have a diploma on 3D studio max... but the ancient 2.5 version when I was very young and I supose that will NOT translate to actual 3D Max... I saw Sketchup and I though it may be good for non artistic, more industrial pieces, I was wrong... the damn thing keeps crashing on complex models, sometimes it even corrupts the file, so I learned to save at least 3 copies of the same project and update them often, also the program decides to change measurements at random in micrometric levels, it may be irrelevant... but it's not, that means the surface is no longer perfectly flat, so it will add weird geometrics and the slicing software for 3d printing don't like that at all, so you must purge extra geometrics one by one, and re-level every corner, I spend the majority of time dealing with those stupid things instead of actually designing.

I know I must trow the damn program off the window and learn 3D studio or something usefull, I just got seduced by the ''concept'' of sketchup, but this thing is almost intolerable.

It was a pleasure to read you, flobert guns in my country requires a stupid firearms permit, plus the ammo is more expensive than anti-tank .50 BMG's, so their not an option here.

A firearm in my country is a rich kid privilege, not only is expensive to get, but also you must past periodical exams, be registered to shooting club that is also ultra expensive here, plus mandatory checks on your weapons and police can come to your house just to check if you have the pistol stored in a regulated safebox. The law dont allow you to have more than 150 stored rounds, every bullet you purchase had to be declared, you can't carry it outside home-shooting range (and unloaded) unless you have a more special permit, revisable every year that is basically gived at will by the regional corrupt as **** chief, for politics and their friends only, never a citicen. You can't even have it available in your house, cause it has to be stored in a safe with separated ammo, there was some cases of people than actually defend his family from intruders inside their house with firearms, a funny one was an old man who shoot an intruder armed with a chainsaw in his yard, and he is the one in jail and paying the family of the cocroach for the rest os his life.

Firearms in my country are a no-no, plus it's never really your weapon, feels more you just pay daddy state and do a lot of stupid things to rent it, knowing that, eventually they will take the gun when you can't pass anymore exams out of age or patience, or you can't afford to pay for all the crap, and all that just to go to a range to have a few pew pew... so stupid.. you can do that much freely with an airgun, tecnically only in your house... but still an improvement, the only weapon that's really yours, its the one the government doesn't know you have.

BTW, I worked as a bodyguard and have a profesional licence, but here you must take the stupid gun from the company dependencies filling a formulary, and leave the gun there again filling another formulary at the end of every service, rarely if that is not humanely doable, they allow you to keep it a little longer, but, if you dare to put it out, oh boy... just prepare for a lot of paperwork and poop, and you can end up in court in no time... so I always see the thing as a heavy brick that I must burden around.

Yep, Using sketchup... funny thing is that I actually have a diploma on 3D studio max... but the ancient 2.5 version when I was very young and I supose that will NOT translate to actual 3D Max... I saw Sketchup and I though it may be good for non artistic, more industrial pieces, I was wrong... the damn thing keeps crashing on complex models, sometimes it even corrupts the file, so I learned to save at least 3 copies of the same project and update them often, also the program decides to change measurements at random in micrometric levels, it may be irrelevant... but it's not, that means the surface is no longer perfectly flat, so it will add weird geometrics and the slicing software for 3d printing don't like that at all, so you must purge extra geometrics one by one, and re-level every corner, I spend the majority of time dealing with those stupid things instead of actually designing.

I know I must trow the damn program off the window and learn 3D studio or something usefull, I just got seduced by the ''concept'' of sketchup, but this thing is almost intolerable.

It was a pleasure to read you, flobert guns in my country requires a stupid firearms permit, plus the ammo is more expensive than anti-tank .50 BMG's, so their not an option here.

A firearm in my country is a rich kid privilege, not only is expensive to get, but also you must past periodical exams, be registered to shooting club that is also ultra expensive here, plus mandatory checks on your weapons and police can come to your house just to check if you have the pistol stored in a regulated safebox. The law dont allow you to have more than 150 stored rounds, every bullet you purchase had to be declared, you can't carry it outside home-shooting range (and unloaded) unless you have a more special permit, revisable every year that is basically gived at will by the regional corrupt as **** chief, for politics and their friends only, never a citicen. You can't even have it available in your house, cause it has to be stored in a safe with separated ammo, there was some cases of people than actually defend his family from intruders inside their house with firearms, a funny one was an old man who shoot an intruder armed with a chainsaw in his yard, and he is the one in jail and paying the family of the cocroach for the rest os his life.

Firearms in my country are a no-no, plus it's never really your weapon, feels more you just pay daddy state and do a lot of stupid things to rent it, knowing that, eventually they will take the gun when you can't pass anymore exams out of age or patience, or you can't afford to pay for all the crap, and all that just to go to a range to have a few pew pew... so stupid.. you can do that much freely with an airgun, tecnically only in your house... but still an improvement, the only weapon that's really yours, its the one the government doesn't know you have.

BTW, I worked as a bodyguard and have a profesional licence, but here you must take the stupid gun from the company dependencies filling a formulary, and leave the gun there again filling another formulary at the end of every service, rarely if that is not humanely doable, they allow you to keep it a little longer, but, if you dare to put it out, oh boy... just prepare for a lot of paperwork and poop, and you can end up in court in no time... so I always see the thing as a heavy brick that I must burden around.
I know man, I really do feel you! In my country things are a little less strict, but I too have a feeling that just as you've described, the gun isn't really yours or your property as is, but that it belongs to the state and you're then under constant surveilance - it's not a thing for everyone here either, for rich folks only, as you must pay a whole price of a firearms (i.e. 9mm pistol) to barely even be able to get started in the sport. I wonder if the government would even allow someone dealing with gun design in my country to continue designing, if they had a firearms permit, because they'd be under constant control... 🤔

Nevertheless we have similar regulations in our country, just as you've described for yourself. Also, flobert guns are considered actual firearms in my country as well, but in the case of my revolver, it's considered a starter gun, because it cannot chamber a unified cartridge - 6mm flobert ME that is. It can however be loaded with 6, flobert blanks at the rear of the cylinder, and with 6 pellets up front... The gun has a free, unobstructed bore obviously, but only because it's a 6mm flobert. Even in Germany they allow 6mm flobert starters to have free-bores, but those only.

Now, the modern-day and age 3Ds Max program is not really that much different from the early versions in my opinion, it just offers a faster workflow... Definitely give it a try. Personally, if I were to be forced to work with Sketchup, I'd press a blank gun to my head and pull the trigger instead ;) , it's that much that I hate that piece of software. The reason Sketchpoop changes measurements in micro levels, is because it's got a really high tolerance for resluting geometrical accuracy - waay too much, to be practically effective. The floating point value for resulting accuracy ( in millimeters ), in 3Ds Max is 0.000....17796... something, so we're talking about ten-thousands of a mill+ tolerance, while in sketchup it's probably measured in the hundreds - 0.01...mm. Something tells me that it can be changed in the model settings, because I know I had to change properties for precise measurements in the model settings myself, when I worked with Sketchup. Also, what probably gives the slicing software for 3D printers an issue, is the hidden geometry - that's frustrating, I know. When I exported models from Sketch to video game engines, I always had corrupt UVs to some extent, sometimes whole models' textures looked fuzzy and all messed up. I used to make models for Google Earth when I was in high school, but haven't used the damn thing since. So, if you're planning to ease some of your pain from working with SkUp, then I'd suggest you to learn something new or use 3Ds Max - 2012 works well, and Blender will work well for projects such as these as well. I know, because I've been designing projectiles in 3Ds Max myself and a whole lot of othe projects as well... SolidWorks or Fusion 360 are also user friendly, but I'd avoid FreeCAD, that thing will annoy you to death - trust me, I lost years of life by getting pissed off at it, the toggle snaps, mixing up measurements, lofting procedures, et cetera, it all took life out of me. Eventually I settled on 3Ds Max or Blender for desinging and Fusion for more technically demanding projects, which consist of a lot of parts.

I hope you'll be able to get something better than Sketch, because that's no good for someone talented such as yourself - learn something new and leave that piece of software behind, it's no good - it was made for making unprecise houses for Google Earth and for some irrelevant school projects that no one looks at anymore.