Umarex 3rd Zelos has Issues. Anyone else having issues??

I’m on my 3rd new Umarex Zelos from PA. Is anyone else having issues with there’s? I can’t be this unlucky? The guns shoot great but the Quality Control is unbelievable. I’m now on #3 which is probably going back. Let’s start from my first Zelos.

#1 Was leaking about 100psi a day. I checked all the basics I knew how without tearing it apart. I put a glove finger over the barre and it popped out. I believe it was something internal. Back it goes.

#2 This one had the most issues. I went to adjust trigger and a trigger linkage bar was bent/twisted. Not a huge deal but it made me shake my head.
Then I noticed pic rail on the tube was defective. It had a little chunk missing and crack. Not like a dropped and broke issues. It wasn’t molded correctly and they just threw it on anyways. I like the gun so let that slide to.
The final straw on number 2 was clipping. The gun was shooting lights out but every 5 or 10 shots it would send one to the right. I thought it was me at first. Was about to add a moderator then I noticed a line down the inside of the 1/2-20 adapter. Paint was missing so it was clipping. Painted that spot with a sharpie. Checked some basics then had a shooting session. Black sharpie mark gone, so yup clipping.
Tried a few things like flipping shroud,checking screws,etc. I’m guessing some misalignment(out of spec)is causing pellets to just miss the adapter each shot. Then every few shots or so you get a pellet off enough to clip. Definitely not risking my new moderator on it. Back #2 went.

#3 So lucky number 3 came last Friday. I opened it up and aired it up Saturday morning. Look at it Sunday and think I’m losing my mind. No way is another Zelos leaking. So I take a picture for next 3 days. It’s Tuesday now and the gauge is at around 3200. Time stamped photos show around 100 psi a day again.
Going to check the basics. Hope it’s something simple. I haven’t even shot it so maybe that’ll seal it up.Going out in the garage to mess with it now.

Sorry for the long post. I hate even writing this crap.Two of my Airgun buddies said it needs to be known.
Pyramid air has been awesome this whole time. Shout out to them. It’s not their fault and they are eating all these shipping cost.

Any others having issues? Other than some YouTube reviews. There’s very little feedback on here. I personally know guys that have zero issues with there’s.

Thanks
Rob

Added 3 pics of my leak on #3. No picture of Saturday when filled but it was at about right at the edge of the red. Sunday through Tues. about 100 psi/day.

IMG_5973.jpeg

IMG_5971.jpeg

IMG_5972.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: W.Sheid and TMH
There is a chance that shooting it will resolve the leak as it may help the sealing margins as the poppet pounds down any imperfections upon open/closing events (hypothetically, if this were the source of leak). At 2,000 psi your poppet returns to the valve seat with upwards of 20+ lbs of force in typical pcp's.

Thanks for reporting your issues, I personally don't support Umarex as a brand but seeing this, I will continue that path and avoid them, sounds like their QC is lack luster.

-Matt

Yikes! Does not make a person want to rush out and buy one.
Yea I didn’t even like writing this post. At this point I feel like I needed to. Sucks cause the guns an absolute shooter. I’m just hoping this last one, it’s something simple. I’m not very optimistic.

Reactions: Stubbers
There is a chance that shooting it will resolve the leak as it may help the sealing margins as the poppet pounds down any imperfections upon open/closing events (hypothetically, if this were the source of leak). At 2,000 psi your poppet returns to the valve seat with upwards of 20+ lbs of force in typical pcp's.

Thanks for reporting your issues, I personally don't support Umarex as a brand but seeing this, I will continue that path and avoid them, sounds like their QC is lack luster.

-Matt
Thanks I’m keeping fingers crossed then. My first one with the leak got shot probably 100 times antleast and didn’t seal.
Work on this one now. I’m going to fire it down and re air things up. Check for common leaks. I’ll report back. Think of anything else to check please let me know.
Appreciate it
Rob

Maybe I dodged a bullet? I tried to buy one off the Umarex site directly, but try as I might I couldn't get the credit card payment to go through.

Then when a great price posted by another member, I purchased one through MWGW. Alas, they cancelled the order due to inventory issues with their supplier.

So... when I noticed that UA had Dreamline Classics for sale (during their Labor Day sale) for $750 with free shipping and no sales tax, I instead bought one of those as a light weight bench gun or handy hunter. Maybe these are being phased out with the release of the DRS Classic? IDK, but what I do know is that they are great guns (my wife shoots one), my credit card went through with UA when I made the purchase, and the gun showed up at my doorstep a few days later. And it is a great shooter. Win-Win-Win.

Thanks I’m keeping fingers crossed then. My first one with the leak got shot probably 100 times antleast and didn’t seal.
Work on this one now. I’m going to fire it down and re air things up. Check for common leaks. I’ll report back. Think of anything else to check please let me know.
Appreciate it
Rob

Balloon or plastic bag with rubber bands around muzzle will identify a poppet leak.

I couldn't be bothered by a new gun that I am unfamiliar with being received in such a state, not enough Tylenol in my cabinets for that!

I do hope you get it sorted if you really like the guns feel / aesthetics.

-Matt

Maybe I dodged a bullet? I tried to buy one off the Umarex site directly, but try as I might I couldn't get the credit card payment to go through.

Then when a great price posted by another member, I purchased one through MWGW. Alas, they cancelled the order due to inventory issues with their supplier.

So... when I noticed that UA had Dreamline Classics for sale (during their Labor Day sale) for $750 with free shipping and no sales tax, I instead bought one of those as a light weight bench gun or handy hunter. Maybe these are being phased out with the release of the DRS Classic? IDK, but what I do know is that they are great guns (my wife shoots one), my credit card went through with UA when I made the purchase, and the gun showed up at my doorstep a few days later. And it is a great shooter. Win-Win-Win.
I’m curious if others are having issues. The chance of me getting 3 duds has to be slim. Although I know others with zero issues. If things don’t pan out I’ll be looking for something a little better to replace it with. So thanks for the feedback on the dreamlines.
Sucks cause the Zelos could be a real winner. I had some very impressive groups with mine. Owell.

Rob

Balloon or plastic bag with rubber bands around muzzle will identify a poppet leak.

I couldn't be bothered by a new gun that I am unfamiliar with being received in such a state, not enough Tylenol in my cabinets for that!

I do hope you get it sorted if you really like the guns feel / aesthetics.

-Matt
Thanks for the help. I’m super easy going but starting to get irritated for sure. Supposed to get a new gun and have fun. I should out shooting. Not chasing down silly issues.

Appreciate it
Rob

Reactions: Perle and Dairyboy
Due to my experiences with UX, this seems fitting.
Yes, in every lot made by every manufacturers there WILL be "lemons".
I have found that UX is relying on their strong prowess in the industry to keep their sales up. Folks keep shrugging off the fact that their products are made poorly as well as their horrible customer service. UX seemingly does JUST ENOUGH to prevent a huge boycott of their products.
It's a shame how we hobbyists just want a quality product and they just sling junk into boxes maliciously. Meanwhile, they act like they do all they can to prevent this.

With regard to the current ongoing debate: Snowpeak M60 vs Zelos
We all know that the Zelos is a clone of the Snowpeak. Folks in this very forum have stated that they are more comfortable buying the Zelos since the Snowpeak is not imported here. Yet, for upgrade parts (or parts in general) one needs to call upon AAF of Canada anyway.

My opinion: Return it and order a Snowpeak.....
My 2 cents