50 yard Hunting PCP

Hi, I've been hunting for several years with bolt action rifles and shot guns. I have decided to buy a FX Panthera Hunter Compact in 22 cal for hunting, 50 yards max, for small game like quail, dove, turkey, and squirrels. In my opinion I think a PCP will be a better option for small game instead of the shotgun to avoid wasting meat and finding pellets when eating the meat. I've decided to go with the Panthera compact because I'll be adding a folding stock to fit it my backpack (or with a sling sometimes) since majority of the time I hike in to my hunting spots and sometimes have to walk through dense brush.

Just wondering what are some of you hunting with for the small game animals and what kind of set ups do you have?

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
@Echo I like my Edge Lelya 2.0 in .25 for squirrel and rabbit hunting within 50 yards using 24 grain pellets (within 40 yards it's a great tool). I also like my Brocock Bantam Sniper HR in .25 for most small game. This is a bolt action rifle. I prefer to use heavier 34 grain pellets with this gun. It can punch well beyond 50 yards. I've shout paper a little beyond 100 yards with the Bantam Sniper, but I'm generally not hunting from out that far. Those are my two favorites. I'm still working with my Huben K1 22. I haven't hunted much more than squirrels with it. It's a little heavier than my Brocock. I'm not a fan of heavy when I'm doing a fair amount of walking and stalking. What your style of hunting small game?

@Echo I like my Edge Lelya 2.0 in .25 for squirrel and rabbit hunting within 50 yards using 24 grain pellets (within 40 yards it's a great tool). I also like my Brocock Bantam Sniper HR in .25 for most small game. This is a bolt action rifle. I prefer to use heavier 34 grain pellets with this gun. It can punch well beyond 50 yards. I've shout paper a little beyond 100 yards with the Bantam Sniper, but I'm generally not hunting from out that far. Those are my two favorites. I'm still working with my Huben K1 22. I haven't hunted much more than squirrels with it. It's a little heavier than my Brocock. I'm not a fan of heavy when I'm doing a fair amount of walking and stalking. What your style of hunting small game?
I mainly do spot and stalk. I like to walk a lot and explore so staying in one spot all day is tough for me.

I will mainly be hunting for small game like rabbit, quail, dove, turkey, and squirrels. For ammo of choice I was looking into using JSB Hades in 15.89 gr pellets, I will mainly be using pellets instead of slugs.

@Echo I meant of the animals that you listed, what do you have the opportunity to hunt more than others? Saying “game” leads me to believe that you mean tree squirrels. In Texas all of those animals (except rabbit) are considered game animals and have a season. You may have a longer season or closer hunting grounds allowing you to peruse one (or two) of these animals above all others listed. Or you may hunt ground squirrels which may not have a season in your state. We don’t have those so I’m not sure how that works. So which do you or will you spend the most time perusing?

@Echo I meant of the animals that you listed, what do you have the opportunity to hunt more than others? Saying “game” leads me to believe that you mean tree squirrels. In Texas all of those animals (except rabbit) are considered game animals and have a season. You may have a longer season or closer hunting grounds allowing you to peruse one (or two) of these animals above all others listed. Or you may hunt ground squirrels which may not have a season in your state. We don’t have those so I’m not sure how that works. So which do you or will you spend the most time perusing?
Sorry for misunderstanding your question but I am in Southern California and the majority of my hunting will be pesting for ground squirrels.

Echo, I think that you will find the dynamics of air rifle hunting quite different than your .22 RF rifles. This will be both in terms of handling qualities and ballistic performance.
Since you will be hiking/backpacking, you may find that your sighted in POI will not be sustained through a lot of movement and bumping around. It's a different thing and I hope you enjoy it, just be aware of the differences.

Reactions: L.Leon
Echo, I think that you will find the dynamics of air rifle hunting quite different than your .22 RF rifles. This will be both in terms of handling qualities and ballistic performance.
Since you will be hiking/backpacking, you may find that your sighted in POI will not be sustained through a lot of movement and bumping around. It's a different thing and I hope you enjoy it, just be aware of the differences.
Would the POI change due to the air temperature or why would it change?

Would the POI change due to the air temperature or why would it change?
Mostly due to the relatively fragile assembly designs of air rifles. You can avoid the highest risk by considering only rifles that use solid barrels, no liner/ shroud assemblies. And if you use a suppressor (moderator), screw it on and leave it on after zeroing the rifle.

Mostly due to the relatively fragile assembly designs of air rifles. You can avoid the highest risk by considering only rifles that use solid barrels, no liner/ shroud assemblies. And if you use a suppressor (moderator), screw it on and leave it on after zeroing the rifle.
Ok I see what you mean. I had noticed some PCP guns seemed to not have the barrel attached to the receiver. They have an appearance to a free floating barrel coming from the inside of the receiver. I picked the Panthera because it seems the barrel (or barrel shroud) is attached to the receiver which I am assuming it adds rigidity.

@Echo What are you hunting mostly? Ammo of choice?
The 23 gr javlin gen1 slugs in 22 cal are explosive at 1035fps. I'm talking puff balls going sideways with limbs and wing separation. Don't use them if you want meat,or make head shots. My crown shoots them sub moa consistanty at that speed. The zans don't pop like these do nor the hades,or jsb pellets.

Reactions: Echo
My crown is no compact. The barrel weight is over 8 pounds it self. Make hitting targets free handed a challenge,which is ok. If it's over 50 yards I prop off something close by. The 800mm barrel sends those slugs so fast that the pop most time is louder than a rim fire pop. I didn't know that adding the speed would cause such explosive hits.

I’m a big fan of compact guns for hunting in the woods. I use a Veteran shorty in .22 shooting Hades at 890. Very effective on squirrels.
As much.l, as I love bullpups, the veterans are not the best in my opinion for walking and stalking. Their design is very blocky and I don't find it to be great for off hand shooting. I still love the gun.
Hi, I've been hunting for several years with bolt action rifles and shot guns. I have decided to buy a FX Panthera Hunter Compact in 22 cal for hunting, 50 yards max, for small game like quail, dove, turkey, and squirrels. In my opinion I think a PCP will be a better option for small game instead of the shotgun to avoid wasting meat and finding pellets when eating the meat. I've decided to go with the Panthera compact because I'll be adding a folding stock to fit it my backpack (or with a sling sometimes) since majority of the time I hike in to my hunting spots and sometimes have to walk through dense brush.

Just wondering what are some of you hunting with for the small game animals and what kind of set ups do you have?
If you have the budget for it, and enjoy a good bullpup, a used cricket 2 tactical .22 in either 45 or 60 (lengths) would be great. They're usually under $1200 used. High shot count, robust, not pellet picky, comes with built in mag storage, and very good looking rifles. Oh and the magazines are not expensive.

Reactions: Scotay42 and Echo
I really loved my S410 carbine when I was hunting. Shot my only turkey with it. Took many other small game as well.

turkey S410.jpg

I hunt grouse and rabbit with a .22 Daystate Revere Safari. It’s light enough to carry all day on the logging roads and in the woods. I have a safari style sling for ease of carrying.

It’s not the MOST compact, but it’s simple, accurate, powerful enough, and fairly rugged (the stock hides dings really well- I couldn’t face taking the walnut version out for a day in the forest).

I recently got an RTI P-3 for some longer range hunting in more sagebrush dessert areas where long range hunting is more possible.