50 yard Hunting PCP

Thank you all for sharing.

What factors (for example price, feature, specs, etc) made you guys pick the air rifle you chose?
For me it’s been a process of figuring out what I want and need.

I started looking for an airgun for hunting a few years ago. I had springers and an entry level pcp for pesting/fun in the back yard, but thought it would be great to get a little more serious about hunting with them.

I tried a few different models and inevitably lost a little money (ok more than a little) selling the models that didn’t fit my style of hunting and the circumstances that I commonly find.

Things I take into consideration are:

Accuracy and repeatability - I have to be able to hit what I’m aiming at and have a reliable POI.

Ruggedness and build quality - airguns aren’t cheap, but I think you often get what you pay for. That being said l, I don’t want to have to baby an expensive toy when I am out there. I want a tool for the job. Some platforms are more robust and simple to use in the field. I love customization and fine tuning, but in my opinion that’s better for other disciplines.

Weigh and ease of carry through the woods- I hunt in the NW, lots of up and down logging roads and thick Doug fir forests. When I go east to the dry side, lots of sage brush type high desert. Similarly to upland hunting, my boots get miles on them. Some of my springers are great guns and take care of business in the back yard, but would be a burden around mile 4-5 on a day in the grouse woods.

Cost is always a factor, but I am lucky enough to have a second job that gives me enough shifts to be able to save up for what I want. I also am blessed with a wife who doesn’t ask about prices. I have been lucky in the classifieds, too. I have been able to find some good deals on guns that are in good shape and I try to keep the karma going when I inevitably sell off a gun.

Good luck with your search. It never ends

Reactions: Echo
For me it’s been a process of figuring out what I want and need.

I started looking for an airgun for hunting a few years ago. I had springers and an entry level pcp for pesting/fun in the back yard, but thought it would be great to get a little more serious about hunting with them.

I tried a few different models and inevitably lost a little money (ok more than a little) selling the models that didn’t fit my style of hunting and the circumstances that I commonly find.

Things I take into consideration are:

Accuracy and repeatability - I have to be able to hit what I’m aiming at and have a reliable POI.

Ruggedness and build quality - airguns aren’t cheap, but I think you often get what you pay for. That being said l, I don’t want to have to baby an expensive toy when I am out there. I want a tool for the job. Some platforms are more robust and simple to use in the field. I love customization and fine tuning, but in my opinion that’s better for other disciplines.

Weigh and ease of carry through the woods- I hunt in the NW, lots of up and down logging roads and thick Doug fir forests. When I go east to the dry side, lots of sage brush type high desert. Similarly to upland hunting, my boots get miles on them. Some of my springers are great guns and take care of business in the back yard, but would be a burden around mile 4-5 on a day in the grouse woods.

Cost is always a factor, but I am lucky enough to have a second job that gives me enough shifts to be able to save up for what I want. I also am blessed with a wife who doesn’t ask about prices. I have been lucky in the classifieds, too. I have been able to find some good deals on guns that are in good shape and I try to keep the karma going when I inevitably sell off a gun.

Good luck with your search. It never ends
Thank you!

Really liked how thoughtful you were in your explanation.

I don't have much experience with PCPs but I have had springers. I am pretty much set on the FX Panthera Hunter Compact in 22 cal and rather cry once and get something I will be happy with, even though eventually I'll be buying more.