A Glimpse Back. September 1973. 51 Years Ago.

They called it "The Battle of the Sexes". ABC carried the event live from the Astrodome to an estimated US audience of 50 million and international audience of 90 million. Other similiar matches involving pro players followed, however this event inspired Hollywood to recreate the match with the 2017 film staring Emma Stone and Steve Carell as King and Riggs.

So, if you need something new, unexpected and different to plink, here is some history from 51 years ago.

Rackets on each side represent the number of games won by King (18) & Riggs (10). Total (28) is a perfect score.
There are two rackets at the top for sighters.

Try to keep shots inside the oval frames, but you be the judge.

There are two pdf files below. One with "cross-hairs' and one without.
Sorry, any prize is limited to personal gratification.

View attachment pellet_target_no_crosshairs-1.pdf

View attachment pellet_target.pdf

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
They called it "The Battle of the Sexes". ABC carried the event live from the Astrodome to an estimated US audience of 50 million and international audience of 90 million. Other similiar matches involving pro players followed, however this event inspired Hollywood to recreate the match with the 2017 film staring Emma Stone and Steve Carell as King and Riggs.

So, if you need something new, unexpected and different to plink, here is some history from 51 years ago.

Rackets on each side represent the number of games won by King (18) & Riggs (10). Total (28) is a perfect score.
There are two rackets at the top for sighters.

Try to keep shots inside the oval frames, but you be the judge.

There are two pdf files below. One with "cross-hairs' and one without.
Sorry, any prize is limited to personal gratification.

View attachment 497904

View attachment 497907
I was at that match !! Free tickets

I got out yesterday to try @LessMundane's challenge. Here is a link to the video so you can see how I did:

Here is a high resolution picture of my target:
20240927_113316.jpg

If it hit the frame of the racket, I didn't score it unless it just grazed it as for shot #6.

Billy Jean still won, but 11 out of 28 isn't awesome. If you watch the video, I outline that I am using a pellet that I know well (H&N Baracuda) for Bobby's side, and I am using AEA Center Punch pellets that I have never ever shot before, so they were a "wildcard".

This said, I got 38% hits for Billy Jean (7/18), and 40% for Bobby (4/10). This isn't a remarkable improvement over my "tested and true" H&N Baracuda pellets. So, my conclusion as to the "Battle of the Pellets", I'd say it is basically a draw between Baracuda 21.14gr and AEA Center Punch 21.9gr.

Let me know your thoughts.

Reactions: LessMundane