A New Contract

Struckat

Jun 23, 2022
Illinois
I reported earlier this year about solving a woodchuck problem. Well the same landowner has reached out to me with a problem on a different property, his suburban home.

Before I begin to describe the tools and methods that will be used I must give a disclaimer. Even though I throw around the word contract, I am NOT a professional.
But for those that may have doubts
1. I have used a 1377 as my airgun from 1986-2000 shooting only wadcutters
2. I I have owned allen wrenches all my life
3. I have been killing red squirrels all my life

Safety is always the first consideration during site evaluation. I have known this property for many years so a recon trip is not needed. A lawyer is attached to every pellet. The environment calls for standard power and low noise. This is very different than the last job where my fine English girl practiced speaking German with a Chinese accent @35fpe unmoderated. No, we need to be quiet.

Also all state and local guidelines whether real or perceived are strictly followed.

The situation, Red Squirrel Insurgency.
The timing, planning now, mission in the next 1-5 weeks.

I always like to have the right tool for the job. This leads a guy to have more than one airgun. I also like to try to make one gun do many things it was not intended to do. These two statements may seem to contradict each other, but after years of study, I can assure you the behavior is considered normal.

The cunning and deception of the quarry demands that I be armed at all times. The 1701”Stickgun” fills that role. The TP is drilled to exactly between the stock size and a stock 1720t. Tuned for Match Light 7.87s to flirt with 600fps. Everytime I shoot it I apologize for the red dot. But that is only because of the “Scope Deficit“ that I will explain later.

The Main tool for the job.
To some degree we are all victimized by marketing. I have a weak spot for guns. Victor, an arms dealer on the planet of Pandora once said to me, “A sniper without a sniper gun, is just a guy with a gun.” Let me tell you than I have taken that to heart.

I have recently completed fitting my 1720 into its new stock. The stock’s weight gives some added stability and wonderful ergo. It’s tuned for RWS Supermags that will be flirting with 10fpe…..While this may not be Thor’s hammer. The reds wont know the difference.

But for those that doubt, and my wife who says that I am a paranoid version of Walter Mitty, I have a backup gun.
I love my Controller dearly, but she does have a mean streak. After all, I do know who Walter is as I remember not reading the book contributed to an F in the late 70’s. Like that was the only one…whatever. I say she has a mean streak, not because she rolled her eyes when I said that I want to compete at the Olympics and that she needs to buy me a pistol. No, It’s because she gives me the same look when I say I need a compressor. Let’s move on.

Paranoid, red squirrels? I am sure many of you are thinking I am undegunded. Well lets not fret over that.

Let me introduce you to my little friend, the Mini-M/160
This started life as a used Prod that needed to be free. A Mrod Walther .22 barrel and gen 1 trigger resting gently in a 1970s Crosman elm stock.
Tuned for 16 shots of 18-19fpe with JTS 18gr wadcutters…This is The Hammer of Thor! I think of it as that belted magnum in a scout rifle that I am not man enough to shoot. Tipped with an elegant and superb TKO, quiet. This gun is to be used with the most extreme caution and shot preparation. Safety safety!
Oh, and here is where the scope deficit can clearly be seen. The ratio has dropped below 2 to 1 so I was forced to put this UTG into action.

Now if you are thinkingI fall back to a lowly Prod posing under some name I made up, think again you fools Woooohahahaaha.

If everything gets so bad that even the Four Uncles have died and pumping is no longer possible, I will get truly serious a break out the HW30 and the 7.33 Falcons. No photos please, the HW is special.

Thank you, I will record an AOR in the future.

IMG_3247.jpeg

IMG_3227.jpeg

IMG_3248.jpeg

Last edited:
I enjoyed part about Olympics- In 1993 I was invited to try out for US air pisttol team. That would have necessitated a a trip to Calif. and a bit of an extended stay. Not an inexpensive endeavor, and in the US is totally out of your own pocket. Also at the same time I was starting my own biz. The controller was supportive of either endeavor to a point with the classic do what you want comment, ( which we males mostly know what that means in the realm of communication with the controller ). Didn't go Calif. Did start biz. Also shortly thereafter the controller was decommissioned. Pricey but worth it. Still running biz..

Reactions: Struckat