RAW Rapid A ruined RAW came for work !

mubhaur

Nov 8, 2015
Karachi, Pakistan
It's the 1st time I saw that someone has already worked on a RAW in such a bad manner that even the regulator piston is destroyed and many important parts ruined.
Screenshot_20240825_001301_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240825_001308_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240825_001310_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240825_001337_Gallery.jpg
20240824_233742.jpg

Screenshot_20240825_001337_Gallery.jpg
20240824_233726.jpg

Yeah, some people are mechanically insensitive and should not be allowed to have tools. Seen 1/4" bolt stripped and 3/8" bolt broken by being over tightened. Like WTF!

In the shop we described this type of "mechanic" as having "back like bull, brain like bird". Their favorite tools seem to be a big hammer, vice-grips, and a screwdriver that doubles as a pry-bar.

The RAW, that requires some disassembly to access parts is relativity safe. Airguns like the FX's with external adjustments fall victim to abuse from amateurs all the time - and then they blame the company or the design that it's not idiot-proof.

Sad to see.

Yeah, some people are mechanically insensitive and should not be allowed to have tools.
Actually, I think that's the problem. A lot of people grow up these days without ever working on, or repairing, anything. They've never had tools. So when the internet convinces them that they should work on something they head to the local home store a buy a claw hammer, vise grips, and a six-pack of screwdrivers and they're ready to go, not knowing what they don't know.

GsT

Actually, I think that's the problem. A lot of people grow up these days without ever working on, or repairing, anything. They've never had tools. So when the internet convinces them that they should work on something they head to the local home store a buy a claw hammer, vise grips, and a six-pack of screwdrivers and they're ready to go, not knowing what they don't know.

GsT

You've got to start somewhere! Good for anyone these days to take the initiative to learn anything. It's their dime, their time, their screwup, and a lesson they won't forget. Experience pays dividends in the end. The RAW owner's mistake was learning on a RAW, ouch! At least he had the sense to stop screwing it up and send it to a guy who can fix it.

Just to start, I decided to test the barrel. If barrel is bad then no use to do any work.

So made a barrel Bush that has transfer port and makes the barrel indexable.

Then installed the barrel in my own RAW.

Following is some shooting with this barrel at 24 yards with Redesigned 25 grain pellets and Knockout slugs.

I feel that the barrel is reasonably good so now we can move on to work on other ruined parts of the gun.

20240825_174251.jpg
20240825_174202.jpg
20240825_173145.jpg
20240825_174145.jpg

You've got to start somewhere! Good for anyone these days to take the initiative to learn anything. It's their dime, their time, their screwup, and a lesson they won't forget. Experience pays dividends in the end. The RAW owner's mistake was learning on a RAW, ouch! At least he had the sense to stop screwing it up and send it to a guy who can fix it.
Exactly! I think there are way too many people on the opposite side of the DIY spectrum. They have been convinced they can’t work on anything themselves.

That said, know your limits. There is a big difference between disassembling a gun too replace an o ring and machining/turning modifying very tight tolerances parts.

This may be of some interest for the members here.

Following are two pics of the RAW barrel as it had been received. The user had finally got sick of RAW and had tried to machine the breach end of the barrel to accommodate it in FX Crown.

Very poor machine work.

Screenshot_20240826_215000_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240826_220501_Gallery.jpg

Following is the pic of muzzle end of same barrel. As per my understanding Martin didn't use to thread the muzzle end for LDC. So looks like some extras work has been done here too. But here the quality of work is better.

I hope that now members would know that why I had to sleave up the breach end of this barrel to properly fit into RAW.

Screenshot_20240826_215107_Gallery.jpg

Most of the things are screwed up.

I converted the breach end into to the following by sleaving it up.

20240824_233726.jpg
20240824_233742.jpg

20240825_174251.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, some people are mechanically insensitive and should not be allowed to have tools. Seen 1/4" bolt stripped and 3/8" bolt broken by being over tightened. Like WTF!

In the shop we described this type of "mechanic" as having "back like bull, brain like bird". Their favorite tools seem to be a big hammer, vice-grips, and a screwdriver that doubles as a pry-bar.

The RAW, that requires some disassembly to access parts is relativity safe. Airguns like the FX's with external adjustments fall victim to abuse from amateurs all the time - and then they blame the company or the design that it's not idiot-proof.

Sad to see.
Hey wait a friggin' minute those are 3 of my most used tools. I have a WIDE selection of hammers, screwdriver and pipe wrenches and long pipe for torquing. All seriousness aside, my one used Maverick was 'fixed' by one of the aforementioned ID10Ts, fool had some serious talent for stupid.