Acceptable average 20 yd springer accuracy??

You should start the 20 yard-20 shot challenge. Have everyone post their twenty shot groups. I have a feeling yours wouldn't look so bad.

These are fun. 25 shots at 25yds, going for high scores.

image0.jpg

I totally missed the original question. Start with smaller groups. maybe 5-10 shots. at twenty yards, most groups should be well under 1", but concentrate on keeping sight picture. This helps me develop a hold and trigger pull that doesn't move the rifle during the shot. Follow through with the trigger pull, holding the trigger at full pull for a second. Is the crosshair still lined up? Springers are an art. Adjust the trigger as light as is safe. Bump check to be sure. My HW 95 groups are about 1/2 inch at 20 yards. The more shots you take, the larger the groups are likely to get.

Reactions: Frogy
Thanks for the input guys, it helps me calibrate. I'm covering quite a few 10 shot groups with a quarter at 20 yds, standing and using a post to rest my hand on. The little HW30s is just starting to settle in with around 350 shots after dropping the tune kit in. I'm figuring out how she likes to be held, and waiting for the AA falcons to arrive. Shooting JSB 7.3 and RWS 7.0 wad cutters. It has been hell on red squirrels at 10 yds! 11 so far, under the bird feeder. The local fox will get fat! I need to just keep shooting, I think it will come together. I have cleaned the bore 3 times (once when I first got it, once when I tore it down after 250 shots to drop the kit in, and today after another 350 shots. Haven't done anything else to the bore.)
Try not cleaning the bore. Yep do not clean it. My HW95 can and will shoot less than .25 groups at 20 yards. As a matter of fact it gets insulted shooting so close. Grin.
I never clean it. Yes daily I wipe the exterior and take excellent care of it, however I never clean the bore.
Cheers
Kit

Try not cleaning the bore. Yep do not clean it. My HW95 can and will shoot less than .25 groups at 20 yards. As a matter of fact it gets insulted shooting so close. Grin.
I never clean it. Yes daily I wipe the exterior and take excellent care of it, however I never clean the bore.
Cheers
Kit
Agree here. I've never cleaned any of my airgun bores. I clean my powder burners after every shooting session and always have (shooting for over 40 years).

I've always said I'd clean my airgun bores if accuracy suffered. So far I'm good. Haven't even cleaned them when I first shot them. Figured they had a "break in" period anyway.

Doesn't mean you should listen to me though. Whatever you find works for you.

A few quick examples...my asp has well over 20,000 rounds (stopped keeping track), my d48 is not too far behind, my hw80 near to 10,000, and my hw 97 the same. They all still shoot very accurately.

Not just HW,but all springers,"for me" need to group 1/2"; most of my HW can do way better than that,shooting my old 1981 R-7 the other day it could do pellet on pellet,my .20 R-9 can also,but not as easy, my.22 HW97 is not quite as good ,almost ,but the larger holes make it easy for the pellets to be touching,
The R-7 is the easiest to shoot offhand then the R-9,the 97 is heaver,has the thumbhole stock that helps my with my hold.
I almost forgot about my HW50s,nice trigger accurate,just not a favorite of mine.
There you go 1/2" ,actually I think 3/8" is more like it at 20 yards.The pellet choice has more to do with the accuraccy in good shooting air rifles.
ps,I think those are actually large groups....

You should start the 20 yard-20 shot challenge. Have everyone post their twenty shot groups. I have a feeling yours wouldn't look so bad.
yep, 20 shots will show the rifles true ability. Not to mention yours! I think with a springer it also shows your consistency with your hold as well as it takes most wind out of the picture unless its over 10 mph, being only 20 yards. 25 yards brings conditions much more into the outcome. It also builds confidence with new shooters, this makes flyers and misses at longer distance more obvious to shooter error, judging wind, hold variance, anticipating trigger and so on.

First thing I did with my newly acquired R10 was perform the 20 yard 20 shot grouping. I now know out 40 yards if I miss a ping pong ball sized target, I SCREWED UP. Grouping is about the size of Roosevelts head inside the dime.
20240614_101552[1].jpg
20240614_101643[1].jpg

I shot this last week with my LGU. The gun had been sitting for 6 months, unshot so I was thoroughly impressed that it did so well. 10x 5 shot groups at 32yds averaging 0.85MOA/0.28". One mulligan on the field due to a scope mishap but still pretty damn good in my books. Needless to say, my expectations are a bit higher now out of certain guns. Now I will say this: there was next to no wind in play and even when there was I just had to wait it out for 10 seconds. I couldn't have asked for better conditions here.

1000000950.jpg

Yesterday was a different story though. It was a bit windier so at the same distance I shot these:

10 Shots

1000000929.jpg

5 Shots

1000000923.jpg

Now in complete fairness to the gun, I was shooting without any real reference for an aim point in those two groups. Either way, under 1.5 MOA is perfectly acceptable in my books.

This was last week HW97 .20 cal. 30 yds. 5 shots each hole. Holes are 3/8 in. View attachment 3342870This has a Vortek kit. It was amazing before. The sound is nite and day. Crow
I like the plate steel. I would have bells behind so I could here the hit because I can't see the hit. Oh I forgot I can't hear that well either. I am going to make one up regardless.

Reactions: crowski
I rarely shoot paper. Last week the wife gave me container of cherry tomatoes that turned. Setting them on golf tees at 20 yards I went 16 for 23 hitting them with the 1st shot. That is with my Motorhead tuned .177 HW30 and RWS R10 wadcutters. I shoot this rifle at least 5 times a week free hand and shoot about 500 pellets a week.
Tomato juice!!

Big difference between shooting groups and hitting a given spot. These types of threads should specify which one they are going to be.

I use the "30 yard challenge target printed on thin card stock" for just about all the paper shooting out to 48 yards . shooting the same target you really get a good idea of what you and the gun are shooting .

Reactions: JEFFPPC