AEA 21.9gr pellets

Anyone have experience shooting these? I feel like these can be a good in between pellet with the 18gr and 25gr pellets. They look like they could do well but very little if any info that I've found on people using them. I had good luck with the JTS 22.07gr but not as accurate as the JTS 18gr in my gun. I was looking into the Monster Lights but they are just as much money as the RD Monsters. The 21.9gr AEA are same price as 18gr version. So I ordered 5 tins to try.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience shooting these? I feel like these can be a good in between pellet with the 18gr and 25gr pellets. They look like they could do well but very little if any info that I've found on people using them. I had good luck with the JTS 22.07gr but not as accurate as the JTS 18gr in my gun. I was looking into the Monster Lights but they are just as much money as the RD Monsters. The 21.9gr AEA are same price as 18gr version. So I ordered 5 tins to try.
Yes! They shoot the best out of the gk1 at 900fps, I took an iguanas at 73yds about 2 weeks ago.

They also shot very well out of my Katran lb .22 and the challenger bullpup .22

Reactions: Dairyboy
I just let a couple mags of the 21.9s fly and did some quick measurements, I've had them for about a month but this is the first time I have open the tin.

They are chunky I measured head diameters of 5.56 to 5.57 very tight fitting in my Taipan vet which does need some work at the breach end to smooth the sharp edges of the lands I believe this is leading to some accuracy issues with this pellet dime size group at 30y not horrible just not good enough. I think after the barrel work the 21.9s will shoot fine I feel like they have potential.

As a comparison the 18.1gr JTS in my Taipan are remarkable accurate and consistent same hole at 30y boring accurate. I am getting a head diameter of 5.52 on those and they are also very snug right at the limit of what I think I can get away with in this barrel as it is.

I have the vet tuned down to 650fps on the JTS 18.1s getting 16.98 ft,lbs same tune was pushing the AEA 21.9s at 590fps for 16.93 ft,lbs.

Interesting. I'll have to see how my Vet likes them. I haven't noticed any issue with my breech end being snug but if they run large I'll find out. The JTS 18gr are incredibly accurate in mine at 915fps. Probably the most accurate airgun pellet combo I've owned.
I have recently done some work on my .177 Veterans barrel crown, polish barrel, and worked on the transition from the aluminum transfer port to the lands of the barrel . The barrel was not finished very well in that area just like the crown. When I slugged the barrel I first sized the pellets by pushing them thru the aluminum transfer port and into the barrel stopping several pellets In the breech end and pushed them back out the breech those pellets showed quite a bit of damage from engaging with the sharp lands so I did a little work in that area until test pellets showed improvement, of the work done on this barrel I think this is what made the most improvement. The gun went from extremely pellet picky to a social butterfly.

I have three guns with this same barrel (CZUB) two Veterans a .22 and .177 and an AGT .177 Vixen although not as pellet picky they will all get this treatment.

Crown on the vet .177 before, did not get good images of the breech end.
20221007_202436.jpg

I'll see if I can get a tin of the AEA 21gr when I place another order of sone stuff. I had good luck with the JTS 22gr in my EVOL 15" going around 900-920fps. Right now it's tuned for the 25gr JSB/JTS @930 fps (have the AEA 25gr but haven't had a chance to test yet). The JTS 22gr shoot around 970-980 with this tune and kinda suck - so I wouldn't expect the AEA 21gr to do well at that speed.

I haven't had enough time with any AEA pellets to have an impression either way yet. But, I shoot the AEA 29gr .25 in my RedWolf @ around 970 fps and they had the best groups of the day out at 100 yards.

I have recently done some work on my .177 Veterans barrel crown, polish barrel, and worked on the transition from the aluminum transfer port to the lands of the barrel . The barrel was not finished very well in that area just like the crown. When I slugged the barrel I first sized the pellets by pushing them thru the aluminum transfer port and into the barrel stopping several pellets In the breech end and pushed them back out the breech those pellets showed quite a bit of damage from engaging with the sharp lands so I did a little work in that area until test pellets showed improvement, of the work done on this barrel I think this is what made the most improvement. The gun went from extremely pellet picky to a social butterfly.

I have three guns with this same barrel (CZUB) two Veterans a .22 and .177 and an AGT .177 Vixen although not as pellet picky they will all get this treatment.

Crown on the vet .177 before, did not get good images of the breech end.
View attachment 475385
Lol I had to crown my .22 Long also. Haven't checked my .22 short as it shoots very well as is. But this was mine. As you can see i had to remove alot of material. Pushing a pellet throught the breech end though wasn't too bad at all. I'm sure alittle dress up of those lands wouldn't hurt but really it shoots so good don't want to mess with it. Day and night difference in accuracy and pellet pickiness also.

20240421_203612.jpg
20240422_165011.jpg

I'll see if I can get a tin of the AEA 21gr when I place another order of sone stuff. I had good luck with the JTS 22gr in my EVOL 15" going around 900-920fps. Right now it's tuned for the 25gr JSB/JTS @930 fps (have the AEA 25gr but haven't had a chance to test yet). The JTS 22gr shoot around 970-980 with this tune and kinda suck - so I wouldn't expect the AEA 21gr to do well at that speed.

I haven't had enough time with any AEA pellets to have an impression either way yet. But, I shoot the AEA 29gr .25 in my RedWolf @ around 970 fps and they had the best groups of the day out at 100 yards.
Good to know Sean. I've had pretty good luck with the 22gr JTS at 875fps with my Vet. I could push them more but wanted to keep it not too high with the 18gr as those went at 950fps at that setting. But accuracy is stupid accurate at 915fps with the 18gr so I'll just shoot the 18gr there but want to see how much I can push the others if a hair more speed will help and swap between them depending on time of year in windy season or not.

People seem to love AEA pellets and they are a little different than JTS designs so figured I should give them a try. For the price of around 4.5 cents a shot delivered it's alot better than the 7.2 cents a shot the new JSB Monster Lights would have cost me. Plus i know consistency of AEA is on par with JTS which blows JSB out of the water. I know in .30 the 50gr AEA seem like the pellets to beat now for long range shooting. Hoping their smaller calibers are good too.

Reactions: TimeRabbit
Lol I had to crown my .22 Long also. Haven't checked my .22 short as it shoots very well as is. But this was mine. As you can see i had to remove alot of material. Pushing a pellet throught the breech end though wasn't too bad at all. I'm sure alittle dress up of those lands wouldn't hurt but really it shoots so good don't want to mess with it. Day and night difference in accuracy and pellet pickiness also.

View attachment 475439View attachment 475440
That crown is gorgeous! That is definitely a LOT of material removed. Did you use the brass screw method?

They arrived today.

Left to right
JTS 18gr, JTS 21.53gr, JTS 22.07gr AEA 21.9gr

20240627_131855.jpg

JTS 22.07gr and AEA 21.9gr
20240627_132056.jpg
20240627_132123.jpg

It's very hard to tell any difference between the JTS 22.07gr and AEA 21.9gr. AEA has a thicker skirt and deeper than the JTS. Other than that they look identical.

JTS 18gr is around a .217/.2175, the 21.53gr and 22.07 is. 218/.2185. Then the AEA 21.9gr is .2185/.219.

Had alittle time before work to do some comparison at 50yds. Top left JTS 18gr gun sat for a week without being shot even rode in my truck for a day or 2. First 5 shots just dead on. Top right was my "seasoning" target and shot 5 shot with AEA 21.9gr then moved to bottom left for official 5 shot group. Did the same for the JTS 22.07gr. 5 shots at "seasoning" target then 5 bottom right for official 5 shot group. As can see there is some definite potential here and likely warrants a speed increase to see how they do with more speed. Avg speed with my 18gr was 920fps. Avg for the 21.9gr were 833fps. The real test will be 100yds. I don't think I'll have time for that today but if I do I will try to.
20240628_054441.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to you and the other guys in these recent threads for all the work you all have been putting into testing out these newer pellets in 22 and sharing with us!!

I miss having a 22, and these threads have me thinking about going back to a 22 for my next rifle instead of sticking with 25 or jumping up to 30 (which I know I don’t need). More than thinking about actually, pretty much convincing me to.

That being said, it was kinda nice when my only 2 real options (for me) were the 18 and 25 JSB (2 settings). All these newer options mean more testing time. But with an easy to tune rifle, I don’t mind that so much either as it can be fun.