AEA AEA HP Max left cocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, thanks for having me. This is my first post regarding my first PCP. I’ve owned a few handguns back in my twenties which was thirty plus years ago but this is my first real airgun.

I think I got a pretty good deal on a used AEA HP Max .495 which came with a 10.5” Donny FL Emperor moderator, a 6.25” extension, and a cheap VEVOR pump that’s actually not half bad for $500. I’ve only put one round through it so far as I’m still figuring everything out and I’m just a little weary since it is used. The person I purchased from didn’t seem to know much about it, except that it put lots of holes in a dead dryer in his basement lol

Can it be left cocked?

Also, any thoughts or suggestions on inspecting cleaning, what to look out for on a used PCP with about 100 rounds through it would be greatly appreciated. I purchased a patch worm pocket field kit for cleaning and have been watching lots of YouTube videos etc. Thanks for any help or tips. I appreciate it!

MOD EDIT: suggestive content removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't owned an AEA HP, but will offer sound advice nevertheless.

Most PCPs can not only be left fully charged, but can also be uncocked. And since an unloaded pistol makes a poor bludgeon, you must keep the HP fully charged and fully loaded, with a round in the chamber, AND UNCOCKED.

Furthermore, as a(ny) pistol makes a poor defense implement in untrained hands, you must train with it enough to make it second nature to access the weapon quickly, COCK IT, and deliver well placed shots on target (or targets) in quick succession... while in a sleep-induced stupor. I'd also recommend a weapon (mounted) light; maybe also a laser sight.

Reactions: sticman77
If you can find a guide on here on how to disassemble your model, I would start with that. Learning how to replace o rings is a must, especially if you are wanting to rely on your pcp for any animal defense.

Inspect for rust, or o rings that don’t look pristine. If the above is too much, at least fill it up all the way, and let it sit for 24/48 hours verifying if the air gauge is down or the gun is leaking. Check the gauge around 30 minutes after filling as it will go down as it cools down from filling.

If you find a leak, soapy water or silicon oil where air could escape (gauges, bottle connection etc.) can be applied and look for bubbles. You need to replace the poring in the area the bubbles are.

Hopefully someone else can add more thorough procedures to verify your new toy is in working condition but I would start with that!

Reactions: ChuckSchick80
If you can find a guide on here on how to disassemble your model, I would start with that. Learning how to replace o rings is a must, especially if you are wanting to rely on your pcp for any animal defense.

Inspect for rust, or o rings that don’t look pristine. If the above is too much, at least fill it up all the way, and let it sit for 24/48 hours verifying if the air gauge is down or the gun is leaking. Check the gauge around 30 minutes after filling as it will go down as it cools down from filling.

If you find a leak, soapy water or silicon oil where air could escape (gauges, bottle connection etc.) can be applied and look for bubbles. You need to replace the poring in the area the bubbles are.

Hopefully someone else can add more thorough procedures to verify your new toy is in working condition but I would start with that!
Great advice thank you!

IMO, traditional tools are the best; handgun or short shotgun, assuming proficiency with them. An air gun for defense is just not a practical option.
As for storage, most air guns are fine if stored charged, in fact it is recommended. Whether loaded or not, it should not be cocked. Preparing it to fire from that condition varies with the specific rifle or pistol. Enjoy your air gun. Make other arrangements for defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.