Air Force on CO2?

I've had this Air Force model R0401 rifle for a number of years and want to put it back in use. It has the CO2 adapter and that's all I've used in it and would like to know where the CO2 filled tanks can be purchased or refilled? The one on it now is marked JT 12oz and screws into the rifle's adapter. Any help will be appreciated. Charles

Reactions: anonymous_.457
A Condor.
The party line is to get the tank refilled at a paintball supply shop.
A potential workaround is to get it refilled at a welding supply shop (Praxair, Airgas).
A "don't try this at home, kids", solution is to unscrew the valve of the 12 ounce tank, weigh and tare the tank, funnel in 12 ounces but no more, of crumbled dry ice (may be available at your local supermarket), and screw on the valve again. Be careful about the o-ring. Then put the frosty tank somewhere safe to warm up. Hours later, if it hasn't exploded, screw it onto your adapter and shoot away!
Best,
Mike

Bulk fill airguns have been around for many years. Ruled 10m for a bit.
Least costly is a Co2 fire extinguisher, appropriate fitting & hose and scale. Just like the paintball stores do it. After hooking up tanks/hoses/bottle place on scale and fill ONLY to rated volume of oz. If using a fire tank it will need to be inverted (strap to wall) you all filling with liquid not gas.

No sensible person has used dry ice (ever, but) since the crosman cg rifles.

Likely find a video on youtube or such. Might be nice to take you tank & adapter to a paintall store once & watch. LOW cost shooting.

John

Do NOT try dry ice period.

Or you can buy a CO2 siphon tank* at your welding distributor, and a fill station from Amazon (all for less than the cost of an SCBA tank, I might add)) and do it right. It's probably more expensive now, but when I bought my "fill station" it was ~$150 total including the first fill.

GsT

*make sure you specify a siphon tank - that's what you need to fill other bottles.

Hopefully the photo works! After trying my 1
2018 filled co2 bottle and forgot about the O ring I lost some co2 . The old o ring was pure gum and after much cleaning I replaced it and the gun worked fine! I’m hoping to find a local filling station and really enjoy shooting it a lot. Charles

54711314-B999-46A2-B2A7-5DC1644CF981.jpeg

Hopefully the photo works! After trying my 1
2018 filled co2 bottle and forgot about the O ring I lost some co2 . The old o ring was pure gum and after much cleaning I replaced it and the gun worked fine! I’m hoping to find a local filling station and really enjoy shooting it a lot. Charles

View attachment 486848
Also I would like to know about what year that type of stock was produced? I’ve searched the web and never even seen Photo of one. Charles

Also I would like to know about what year that type of stock was produced? I’ve searched the web and never even seen Photo of one. Charles
I called a number of business that might fill the tank and even the local paintball business told me they all went to pcp sever years and didn’t know of anyone now in business that does so. Guess it’s will end up a closet gun 🥹. Charles

I called a number of business that might fill the tank and even the local paintball business told me they all went to pcp sever years and didn’t know of anyone now in business that does so. Guess it’s will end up a closet gun 🥹. Charles
Talk to people that brew their own beer. My nephew is a brewer and gets his 5 lb tank filled at a shop that serves brewers. I get my 20 lb tanks filled at the same shop. Also, try contacting shops that service wire feed welders.

Last edited:
You might still want to look around. I found 20+ steel fire extinguisher tanks listed on our local market place for $40-129 depending. Were you an ebay type person (I am not) lot's of listing like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2746883414...1291&msclkid=fc898ab58c7d1cc967c3ec00f174a825
Which if it checked out seems reasonable, naturally all type & sizes of Co2 tanks available. Buy steel as long as it passes hydro it's good for decades. Aluminum requires testing every 5 thinking steel is 12yrs(?).
Try your local Beverage Supply house for Co2 they have it, also these modern "garden" stores in many states all fill them.
Not to bother other people but "mindsweeper333" had a recent post, perhaps he has some good tips?
Personally have an Escape UL I've thought about dong something with (.177 or .22) as the .25 is just too much for any of our airgun needs and Co2 in bulk using .177 is a LOT of shots. Money money money, shucks.

I know there are still old timers with an upside down fire extinguisher strapped upside down on the wall out there.

post:https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/benjamin-discovery-co2-177-and-22-caliber.1317068/#post-1791015

John

You might still want to look around. I found 20+ steel fire extinguisher tanks listed on our local market place for $40-129 depending. Were you an ebay type person (I am not) lot's of listing like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274688341493?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:12bisjNDsSDeNjYcgMPqw4g44&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274688341493&targetid=4580702894586632&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418640321&mkgroupid=1233652283797640&rlsatarget=pla-4580702894586632&abcId=9300602&merchantid=51291&msclkid=fc898ab58c7d1cc967c3ec00f174a825
Which if it checked out seems reasonable, naturally all type & sizes of Co2 tanks available. Buy steel as long as it passes hydro it's good for decades. Aluminum requires testing every 5 thinking steel is 12yrs(?).
Try your local Beverage Supply house for Co2 they have it, also these modern "garden" stores in many states all fill them.
Not to bother other people but "mindsweeper333" had a recent post, perhaps he has some good tips?
Personally have an Escape UL I've thought about dong something with (.177 or .22) as the .25 is just too much for any of our airgun needs and Co2 in bulk using .177 is a LOT of shots. Money money money, shucks.

I know there are still old timers with an upside down fire extinguisher strapped upside down on the wall out there.

post:https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/benjamin-discovery-co2-177-and-22-caliber.1317068/#post-1791015

John
If you buy the 7 lb tank listed on the above link, be prepared to install a syphon tube in the valve. Tanks used for home brewing don't usually have syphon tubes installed.