Air Force Texan leaking

Hello, I purchased a used 357 Texan a few months back. I bought a hand pump and pumped it up to 3000 psi and put it in my gun safe and left it. Just today I pulled it out and it was down to 2000 psi. That’s not normal correct, there is a leak right? If so how do I go about finding out where it is leaking and how to fix it?

Hello, I purchased a used 357 Texan a few months back. I bought a hand pump and pumped it up to 3000 psi and put it in my gun safe and left it. Just today I pulled it out and it was down to 2000 psi. That’s not normal correct, there is a leak right? If so how do I go about finding out where it is leaking and how to fix it?
Hand pump killed your fill nipple o ring on the tank. How do I know? I’ve done the same. Soap and water is your friend

I think you can do fine with a hand pump. I hand pumped Air Force guns for a long time and only had one of those valves ever gum up. I think it's just kind of a standard routine maintenance thing you may have to be prepared for - any device like an air gun with O-rings and high-pressure air is going to require maintenance occasionally. Heck there's a guy here who was pumping guns by hand in the tropics for a long time with zero issues but I believe hand pumps are more likely to generate moisture than compressors which often have moisture separators built-in.

Ok, sorry for bringing this thread up almost a month later. I bought a new foster quick connect from talon. Before I replaced the old one. I sprayed soapy water around the original quick connect. I get no bubbles. Also the gun never went below 2000 psi, if it’s leaking it should eventually let all the air out right? Why would it only go to 2000 psi from 3000 and just stop? Thanks for all the help you guys have been giving.

Ok, sorry for bringing this thread up almost a month later. I bought a new foster quick connect from talon. Before I replaced the old one. I sprayed soapy water around the original quick connect. I get no bubbles. Also the gun never went below 2000 psi, if it’s leaking it should eventually let all the air out right? Why would it only go to 2000 psi from 3000 and just stop? Thanks for all the help you guys have been giving.
That happens . Air up to 3k and test

Ok. So today I got around to filling my Texans tank up by hand pump. I pumped up to 2500 psi and stopped, let the air out of the line to let rest,and it let all but 100 psi out of my tank. So I’m guess the valve to fill it up is bad. So I’m gonna change it.
😳that’s a lot of work. Throw some soapy water and see where it’s leaking before you waste more pump strokes

😳that’s a lot of work. Throw some soapy water and see where it’s leaking before you waste more pump strokes
I tried spraying it and I don’t get any bubbles from air leaking. I’m thinking it’s coming from the nipple part that actually puts air in. Maybe junk in it I’m not sure. It’s at 100 psi and holding. I’m really not sure. I’m trying to figure out how to deair it the rest of the way. And trying to get the old fill nipple off and putting the new one on. I’m not having much luck.

I tried spraying it and I don’t get any bubbles from air leaking. I’m thinking it’s coming from the nipple part that actually puts air in. Maybe junk in it I’m not sure. It’s at 100 psi and holding. I’m really not sure. I’m trying to figure out how to deair it the rest of the way. And trying to get the old fill nipple off and putting the new one on. I’m not having much luck.
To degas the completely slowly either loosen the fill valve until
It starts hissing then let it all hiss out (DONT COMPLETELY REMOVE UNTIL FULLY DEGASSED)

Finally got it out.

IMG_3215.jpeg

Reactions: PasadenaMike
Ok. So today I got around to filling my Texans tank up by hand pump. I pumped up to 2500 psi and stopped, let the air out of the line to let rest,and it let all but 100 psi out of my tank. So I’m guess the valve to fill it up is bad. So I’m gonna change it.
From my research, there is an o ring on the valve that most likely has either gone bad or has debris.