Airforce Air Force valve cap replacement

Hello, I have an older version Air Force Condor without the ring loc feature. It looks as if the included tanks have a couple set screws that need to be loosened to take off the valve cap to replace it with another. Is it that easy? Just don’t want to loosen them up and be surprised with a bunch of air leaking… I have two tanks with different valve sizes and I wanted to know if I was able to swap them if needed since one of the tanks has the talon tunes adapter with pressure gauge and the other tank is more bare bones. Thanks!

IMG_4525.jpeg

IMG_4523.jpeg

Hello, I have an older version Air Force Condor without the ring loc feature. It looks as if the included tanks have a couple set screws that need to be loosened to take off the valve cap to replace it with another. Is it that easy? Just don’t want to loosen them up and be surprised with a bunch of air leaking… I have two tanks with different valve sizes and I wanted to know if I was able to swap them if needed since one of the tanks has the talon tunes adapter with pressure gauge and the other tank is more bare bones. Thanks!

View attachment 496683

View attachment 496684
I just changed mine from talon to condor. But I changed the whole valve system. Not just the top hat as airforce told me it needed more air for the larger top hat. I to had the old system like yours and also installed the altaros. regulator which has a gauge on it.
Hope that helps

I got a couple of replacement tanks from AF and the set screws were either overly tight or Loctited. They are tiny (1.3 mm or 0.050”) and easy to strip out the hex. AF would not or could not tell me which size was correct. They suggested 1.5 mm or 1/16”, neither of which was close to fitting. You might want to try heat if they don’t loosen easily.

Reactions: Peepskp
Loosen the screws and unscrew the top hat. Hopefully the screws were never cranked down super tight because the are right on the threads. I would not speculate on what your results will be without more information.

When I had that style top hat long ago I found set screws with nylon inserts in the nose. They worked great.

I agree that you will find that the porting on the valve is different for the high flow and low flow caps, so putting the restricted valve cap on the high flow valve will decrease airflow for that tank but putting the larger diameter on the restricted valve will not make much of a difference.
I am assuming the blue arrow is pointing at the restricted valve while the red arrow is the high flow valve?

Screenshot 2024-09-17 071612.png

I am assuming the blue arrow is pointing at the restricted valve while the red arrow is the high flow valve?

View attachment 496762
That's right. On the one that I have with the smaller aperture, the holes that are drilled in the part that protrudes into the tank are small and not contoured or angled in any way to optimize flow.

You can also pry the top hat (the orifice your arrows point to), and valve stem (the part that the top hat screws onto) out of the brass fitting and swap them that way. I used a big screwdriver and tried to be otherwise gentle prying them up and out. Once swapped they might need a light whack with a wooden stick to re-seat enough to close the breech properly.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon