• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Gun Companies Copying FX?

This is all that I was able to locate.

Case in point. Daystate made the first bullpup.

Seems like everything these days is “tactical”. I keep getting YouTube ads for a “tactical hoodie”. It’s ridiculous. I don’t mind picatinny rails and pistol grips, but this whole mindset that everyone is some sort of operator and you need to be thinking about combat in every aspect of your life is incredibly annoying.
Tactical pants, tactical shoes …tactical this and that….WTF..

Reactions: balver
Case in point. Daystate made the first bullpup.

Maybe they were the first airgun manufacturer to use the bullpup design on an airgun, but they definitely did not make the first bullpup. Daystate has been getting a lot of false credit lately for practically "inventing the bullpup" but this is not true at all and is being repeated out of context.

The taipan is AWESOME. All the problems are with the maverick

Oh ok...Lol...I thought it was the Taipan. Yeah FX's are awesome guns...but when they break..it can be a real pain in the ass to get them fixed and working again. Seem like those FX's guns tend to be "Low Mileage" guns and long term....not so reliable...seems like...but the person behind the gun is also responsible for them breaking as well. One of the reasons I am Looking for something very reliable, great shooter out of the box...but looks really bad ass....tacticool for sure.

That RTI Mora...looks like a real shooter..but its relatively brand new and their may be some issues with the gun still. I will wait at least a year or so to see what the reviews say about it. I am in no hurry to get a new gun...Definitely will get the Plenum and Power block kit for both my impacts..and see how that goes. Their are plenty of Install videos on youtube on how to correctly install them. I will give that route first..and keep looking at the new releases...soo many nice PCP's...

Last edited:
Yes. Maverick has dual regs. The wildcat mk3 bt has dual reg too. But FX says that the max reg pressure is 160 bar. So let say you push the second reg to 160 bar. You'd have to set your second reg higher than that. That means the second reg is over its max recommended pressure.

When I watched AEAC channel, Steve was interviewing competitors at RMAC (did I get the competition name right?), some of them say that they delete the second reg.

Regarding consistency because of the presences of dual regs. I'm not sure. I had a 177 FX Dreamline with one reg at 140 ish bar shooting the KO slug at 985 fps. And the single reg was doing fine... With the dual reg, I'm not sure if the shots are more consistent because it depends how the gun is tuned. If the tune is right, the dual regs might be contributing to more stability from shot to shot. But for me it's hard to discern if shots are consistent because of the tune or the dual regs. Probably both, but dual regs doesn't mean that the second reg is bulletproof. Pushing it too hard and it will leak.

I recall that I read somewhere or watched a vid (I can't remember where I got the info from). The guy says that we have to remember that any gun that is caliber convertible is designed for 177 up to whatever the max caliber is. Most shooters are probably opting for 22 to 25 cal and they don't tinker. So it makes sense that the manufacturers design their guns around the specs for those cals out of the box. Once we tune, we might exceed what it can withstand. That makes a perfect sense to me.

As for other PCPs, I have no idea. I only have a SPA P35, RTI and FX wildcat mk3 bt. But... The new, upcoming RTI Mora looks damn good. You might want to look at the reviews of that bullpup after it's been released for about half a year to see if it's shooting well and it's robust, if your not in a hurry. I would like to get one of those but it's my out of budget.

If you want to wait for the Mora or any other guns, but you want to shoot an airgun ASAP, a P35 might be an option. As @JimD says it's a good budget gun. And I can attest that out of the box, it's shooting well and you can adjust the trigger easily. Mine broke after I tried to tune it (same problem, it's hard for me not to tinker a gun), and am currently waiting for a Huma reg. I think if I had left it alone. It's still be alive today.

This is some very good info!! There definitely are some pros and cons with dual Reg's in a PCP but I did not know that some shooters at RMAC did away with a second Reg on the Mavericks. You would think Frederik Axelsson...added them in the gun...in hopes of making the shots much MORE consistent especially over long range shooting.

There are a few vids on youtube that do discuss not tinkering with the caliber settings once they are set out of the factory...but why install the caliber wheel on the gun in the first place. Seems like FX's guns are made to be tinkered with in the first place, soo many things that can be done with the gun...BUT...it is true that over night some guys tried to become air gun PCP technician...to only completely mess up their air rifles. One of the reasons why my Impacts and Crowns....I have kept them they way they are from the factory...and only changed caliber and and adjusted the power wheel but no issues with my FX's yet...

Reactions: alejo and L.Leon
This thread is all over the place...

So far, the other rifles mentioned in this thread, have very little similarities with a FX!

So exactly what brand/model is copying FX, and which model of FX is getting copyed?
I'm guessing the OP was just speaking in generalities. FX was an early innovator with the whole bullpup, plenum, double regulated, fully tunable design and since it's been shown to work well a lot of other makers have joined in or expanded their offerings. As to who copied who though, I'm pretty sure the USFT predated FX's designs.

Reactions: Mark_SoCal_626
This is some very good info!! There definitely are some pros and cons with dual Reg's in a PCP but I did not know that some shooters at RMAC did away with a second Reg on the Mavericks. You would think Frederik Axelsson...added them in the gun...in hopes of making the shots much MORE consistent especially over long range shooting.

There are a few vids on youtube that do discuss not tinkering with the caliber settings once they are set out of the factory...but why install the caliber wheel on the gun in the first place. Seems like FX's guns are made to be tinkered with in the first place, soo many things that can be done with the gun...BUT...it is true that over night some guys tried to become air gun PCP technician...to only completely mess up their air rifles. One of the reasons why my Impacts and Crowns....I have kept them they way they are from the factory...and only changed caliber and and adjusted the power wheel but no issues with my FX's yet...
@Mark_SoCal_626 the competitors, as I recall, were using M3s that have dual reg system.