• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Gun Companies Copying FX?

I don't own a FX and won't until they make a bullpup that I can shoot comfortably from my left shoulder. Even if that was solved (smaller mag would at least help) I don't like the idea of a really thin barrel which seems to be required for their externally applied rifling. It will not be as rigid so it will be more easily moved by bumps and will vibrate more so it will need a more precise tune. Just seems like a harder way to do things but they obviously work. Fortunately many others do not copy these design aspects.

FX has some fairly light PCPs which is something I like. I do not like the weight of a Taipan Veteran and many otherwise nice rifles. Finding a more expensive gun that is under 7 lbs isn't easy. I also want at least a 16 inch barrel. I do not know what the current impact weighs but I suspect it may be over 7 lbs.

I think Daystate wins as many competitions as FX and possibly more. Smaller manufacturers do not assemble teams of good marksmen and equip them with everything they need to be successful. I suspect Daystate and FX rifles are very good but I also suspect there are also many others about as good that just do not have the resources to have teams to win the competitions. I like my Air Maks Caiman but it had issues when I got it. I suspect the RTI prophet is also very good (and it's magazines can go in from either side). The uragan is no lightweight but it is also supposed to be an upper tier airgun. Other than weight I think the Taipan Veteran is very interesting.

My favorites are inexpensive (under $500) Snowpeak (SPA) P35s or the nearly equivalent (and made by SPA) Stoeger Bullshark. My P35-22 is at least as accurate as my Caiman and weighs nearly 2 lbs less. Both guns needed the trigger adjusted and the Caiman also had regulator problems. I have adjusted the regulator in my other two P35s but not the 22 and I've not taken any of them apart (which I had to do on the Huma in the Caiman). It seems like many think guns made in China are of the same quality as they experienced 5-10 years ago. My Caiman is noticably better machined than my P35s but I still enjoy my P35s as much or more than my Caiman. I think todays China guns are plenty good enough to be a lot of fun and the best of them are competitive with many much more expensive airguns (note the thread on an Avenger winning a 100 yard bench rest competition). To be clear, I suspect the range in accuracy is greater in Chinese made airguns, I just think the ranges overlap quite a bit. Most things on my P35s and my Caiman work similarly but the cocking of the Caiman is definitely more precise. Tighter machining tolerances I think.

My favorite Chi-com hater question is simply, "Is that an iPhone you got there?".

Ain't nothing like a hypocrite....

If you want USA made, pony up for a Liberty Phone $1,999.00.
Chinese quality has obviously improved by an order of magnitude, but the real problem with it was never the quality, but rather that it’s a genocidal police state.

You already have two FX why would you buy a third ? unless your into competition and lots of travel ? Ask around maybe you can convert one of your FX's into a bullpup ?

I have 4 Fx's 2 = Crowns and 2 = Impacts....old generation. I also have 1 Minty Mint Raw HM1000x "Pre Airforce Acquisition" made in the original facility with original workers. Do i even NEED a new Bullpup? Should i just upgrade the old MK1 impacts with the Power Plenum and Power Block and call it a day? what would you guys do?

The Power Plenum and Power Blocks.....do add a significant FPS? and Foot Pounds of Energy? Correct?.....these where made to shoot slugs?

No political talk guys....just "Airgun Talk" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So....Any really nice BullPup suggestions? Or should I just upgrade my old school Fx Impacts MK1 with Plenum and Power block and call it a day? I just check out the RTI Mora....wow....nice. Taipan...also.....Shiiieeeettttt. Nice stuff guys. What an age to be alive....the air gun era...so many sweet air guns out there, shieeett. I need more space in my gun room to store them all....

Reactions: balver
"Copies"? All of these manufacturers have at least one tactical model. Some bullpups, some not.

Brocock
Daystate
Air Arms
RAW (not)
Cricket
Veteran
Umarex
JTS
Hatsan
Air Venturi
Karma Red Panda (not)
Beeman
Skout
Ghost
RTI
Norica
Ataman
Reximex
Sig

I'm sure there are others. Have fun shopping.
When talking about pellet guns what does "tactical" mean?

I am assuming it means.....more PIcatinny Rails for flashlights and Lasers. Larger Magazines...more pellets. AR Like....made to go to war with some Squirrels....Lol

Thanks for your list...I like RTI MORA, Taipan, Vulcan, Air Marks and SKout. Will check these out, so many awesome airguns.

Reactions: Dairyboy and alejo
Seems like everything these days is “tactical”. I keep getting YouTube ads for a “tactical hoodie”. It’s ridiculous. I don’t mind picatinny rails and pistol grips, but this whole mindset that everyone is some sort of operator and you need to be thinking about combat in every aspect of your life is incredibly annoying.

Seems like everything these days is “tactical”. I keep getting YouTube ads for a “tactical hoodie”. It’s ridiculous. I don’t mind picatinny rails and pistol grips, but this whole mindset that everyone is some sort of operator and you need to be thinking about combat in every aspect of your life is incredibly annoying.

I love tactical gear and tactical stocks, tactical guns etc. I'm wearing desert tan tactical boots as we speak.

More opinion than anything.

Reactions: L.Leon
I love tactical gear and tactical stocks, tactical guns etc. I'm wearing desert tan tactical boots as we speak.

More opinion than anything.
For me “tactical is simply practical”. Easy to manipulate, intuitive to operate, no unnecessary “monkey motions” to deploy… For actual knock about field or truck use a SBR suits me just fine…

Reactions: Dairyboy
I have a fx maverick I bought in January. Bought a Taipan veteran tactical 2 while waiting for the maverick to be repaired under warranty. It has to be tweaked to hit the bullseye everytime it(maverick)comes out of the case. Stopped working again last night until I fixed it. There's better built guns for that price point.

So the Maverick FX.....Its a More powerful BullPup than the Impact? it has "Dual" Regulators? If you want to shoot a pellet at super sonic speeds....the Maverick can do it? one of the most powerful airguns FX has ever made correct?

Sucks to hear that about the Taipan...looks like a sweet shooter....I was eyeing the Tacti COOL version : )

So the Maverick FX.....Its a More powerful BullPup than the Impact? it has "Dual" Regulators? If you want to shoot a pellet at super sonic speeds....the Maverick can do it? one of the most powerful airguns FX has ever made correct?

Sucks to hear that about the Taipan...looks like a sweet shooter....I was eyeing the Tacti COOL version : )
I think Impact M3 is advertised as more powerful then the Maverick. But any gun that is tuned to shoot hot will break sooner than one that is tuned to shoot 'tamer'. Earnes Rowe mentioned in his vid to never exceed 150 bar. I think this is probably true with all airguns.

I pushed my RTI to 160 bar and it broke. I sent it to get it repaired and I'll tuned it down to 150 bar after.

It's the same with my wildcat at 160 bar, its reg leaked. I tuned it below 150 bar now. And it's behaving nicely since.

However, take my opinion with a grain of salt. Probably it's just my guns that behaving that way, and also I might be tuning them wrong. Other people might be successful with tuning their guns shooting hot while keeping their guns lasting well.

I don't own a FX and won't until they make a bullpup that I can shoot comfortably from my left shoulder. Even if that was solved (smaller mag would at least help) I don't like the idea of a really thin barrel which seems to be required for their externally applied rifling. It will not be as rigid so it will be more easily moved by bumps and will vibrate more so it will need a more precise tune. Just seems like a harder way to do things but they obviously work. Fortunately many others do not copy these design aspects.

FX has some fairly light PCPs which is something I like. I do not like the weight of a Taipan Veteran and many otherwise nice rifles. Finding a more expensive gun that is under 7 lbs isn't easy. I also want at least a 16 inch barrel. I do not know what the current impact weighs but I suspect it may be over 7 lbs.

I think Daystate wins as many competitions as FX and possibly more. Smaller manufacturers do not assemble teams of good marksmen and equip them with everything they need to be successful. I suspect Daystate and FX rifles are very good but I also suspect there are also many others about as good that just do not have the resources to have teams to win the competitions. I like my Air Maks Caiman but it had issues when I got it. I suspect the RTI prophet is also very good (and it's magazines can go in from either side). The uragan is no lightweight but it is also supposed to be an upper tier airgun. Other than weight I think the Taipan Veteran is very interesting.

My favorites are inexpensive (under $500) Snowpeak (SPA) P35s or the nearly equivalent (and made by SPA) Stoeger Bullshark. My P35-22 is at least as accurate as my Caiman and weighs nearly 2 lbs less. Both guns needed the trigger adjusted and the Caiman also had regulator problems. I have adjusted the regulator in my other two P35s but not the 22 and I've not taken any of them apart (which I had to do on the Huma in the Caiman). It seems like many think guns made in China are of the same quality as they experienced 5-10 years ago. My Caiman is noticably better machined than my P35s but I still enjoy my P35s as much or more than my Caiman. I think todays China guns are plenty good enough to be a lot of fun and the best of them are competitive with many much more expensive airguns (note the thread on an Avenger winning a 100 yard bench rest competition). To be clear, I suspect the range in accuracy is greater in Chinese made airguns, I just think the ranges overlap quite a bit. Most things on my P35s and my Caiman work similarly but the cocking of the Caiman is definitely more precise. Tighter machining tolerances I think.
Hi @JimD its nice to meet you on this thread. :)

For you guys that don't know @JimD . He's an expert who helped me with my P35 problem. It's worth listening to his advice.

I think Impact M3 is advertised as more powerful then the Maverick. But any gun that is tuned to shoot hot will break sooner than one that is tuned to shoot 'tamer'. Earnes Rowe mentioned in his vid to never exceed 150 bar. I think this is probably true with all airguns.

I pushed my RTI to 160 bar and it broke. I sent it to get it repaired and I'll tuned it down to 150 bar after.

It's the same with my wildcat at 160 bar, its reg leaked. I tuned it below 150 bar now. And it's behaving nicely since.

However, take my opinion with a grain of salt. Probably it's just my guns that behaving that way, and also I might be tuning them wrong. Other people might be successful with tuning their guns shooting hot while keeping their guns lasting well.

Wow...ok did not know this. I was really tempted to bring the Reg pressure on my impact to like 180....I wanted it to shoot hot..and fast..lol. Does make sense if you think about it...more air pressure inside the valves and more things can go wrong. Makes a lot of sense.

But the Maverick does have "Dual" regulators so you get a more consisted shot strings? Very low spread between shots? better than ANY other PCP out there?

Wow...ok did not know this. I was really tempted to bring the Reg pressure on my impact to like 180....I wanted it to shoot hot..and fast..lol. Does make sense if you think about it...more air pressure inside the valves and more things can go wrong. Makes a lot of sense.

But the Maverick does have "Dual" regulators so you get a more consisted shot strings? Very low spread between shots? better than ANY other PCP out there?
Yes. Maverick has dual regs. The wildcat mk3 bt has dual reg too. But FX says that the max reg pressure is 160 bar. So let say you push the second reg to 160 bar. You'd have to set your second reg higher than that. That means the second reg is over its max recommended pressure.

When I watched AEAC channel, Steve was interviewing competitors at RMAC (did I get the competition name right?), some of them say that they delete the second reg.

Regarding consistency because of the presences of dual regs. I'm not sure. I had a 177 FX Dreamline with one reg at 140 ish bar shooting the KO slug at 985 fps. And the single reg was doing fine... With the dual reg, I'm not sure if the shots are more consistent because it depends how the gun is tuned. If the tune is right, the dual regs might be contributing to more stability from shot to shot. But for me it's hard to discern if shots are consistent because of the tune or the dual regs. Probably both, but dual regs doesn't mean that the second reg is bulletproof. Pushing it too hard and it will leak.

I recall that I read somewhere or watched a vid (I can't remember where I got the info from). The guy says that we have to remember that any gun that is caliber convertible is designed for 177 up to whatever the max caliber is. Most shooters are probably opting for 22 to 25 cal and they don't tinker. So it makes sense that the manufacturers design their guns around the specs for those cals out of the box. Once we tune, we might exceed what it can withstand. That makes a perfect sense to me.

As for other PCPs, I have no idea. I only have a SPA P35, RTI and FX wildcat mk3 bt. But... The new, upcoming RTI Mora looks damn good. You might want to look at the reviews of that bullpup after it's been released for about half a year to see if it's shooting well and it's robust, if your not in a hurry. I would like to get one of those but it's my out of budget.

If you want to wait for the Mora or any other guns, but you want to shoot an airgun ASAP, a P35 might be an option. As @JimD says it's a good budget gun. And I can attest that out of the box, it's shooting well and you can adjust the trigger easily. Mine broke after I tried to tune it (same problem, it's hard for me not to tinker a gun), and am currently waiting for a Huma reg. I think if I had left it alone. It's still be alive today.

Reactions: Mark_SoCal_626

The taipan is AWESOME. All the problems are with the maverick

Reactions: Dairyboy