• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Gun Companies Copying FX?

Hello All

I took a Hiatus from Air gunning....Work Family etc...I am getting back into the air gun hobby once again and really enjoying it. I am starting to save up for a new air gun "Bullpup" style rifle in a few months and I already DO own 2 FX impacts...the Mk1 version from 2016 and 2017 ( Without the Plenum and Power Block ) which I bought from a member here long ago. I have noticed however that many air gun companies are making bullpups that look like the FX Impact? Obviously to compete but whats the deal with this? Almost similar to the Impact..in design and shape. Is the FX Company Loosing its Luster? Are these other alternatives better than the Impact? Brocock Ghost, Daystate Delta Wolf, Western Airguns Rattler, Beeman Underlever, RTI P3 Etc.... I heard that FX manufacturing went to China and most parts are no longer being made in Sweden. Is FX still making great PCP Rifles? Too many O rings and moving parts....one small part breaks...the whole gun breaks??? Should I get an FX Impact M3 instead of the alternatives...Kalibri or AirMaks?

Kalibr Guns and AirMaks....are two brands that I am looking into, they make some gorgeous looking Bullpups and heard great things about them. Any Info on these two Air Gun Companies...Are they reliable air gun manufactures?

Thanks Guys
Mark

Reactions: Bandito
I think it's not "copying" so much anymore as the fact that FX designers really innovated the design A LOT of airgunners prefer with their guns. Kinda like the AR15 design that's become almost ubiquitous with pb's. In the beginning, yeah they were copying. Now it's like people expect all airguns to look like that. I personally prefer classic rifle styling & handling. Good on FX for setting the trend.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

The FX series is still very much a contender but China has a lot of very good engineers and since the "Bullpup" concept is not owned by FX, others are free to copy the concept as long as they dont copy the patented parts/assemblies.

This is going to blow your mind but that Chinese company AEA that has been making those more and more powerful airguns, made a Red Panda model that won a major contest this year!

Yupper, Chinese junk... NOT!

In the end, this is making FX and others work harder, do better with quality and up the game.

The FX series is still very much a contender but China has a lot of very good engineers and since the "Bullpup" concept is not owned by FX, others are free to copy the concept as long as they dont copy the patented parts/assemblies.

This is going to blow your mind but that Chinese company AEA that has been making those more and more powerful airguns, made a Red Panda model that won a major contest this year!

In the end, this is making FX and others work harder, do better with quality and up the game.

Yeah China IS making some great PCP"s!!! A few months ago...I got a Beeman Underlever.....amazing little gun for $250...wow...Steal. Its my truck gun and backyard beater...but its nice. Still have to Season the barrel and shoot it more for better accuracy but kind of surprised...and from China..of all places.

My favorite Chi-com hater question is simply, "Is that an iPhone you got there?".

Ain't nothing like a hypocrite....

If you want USA made, pony up for a Liberty Phone $1,999.00.
There's still such a thing as a U.S. made cell phone? Not just assembled here with global stuffs? Of course assembled here could legally just be snapping the rear cover on a pre assembly. See way too much of that at my work...

It was a while back, but if I remember correctly, when it comes to PCP airguns that are bullpups, everybody (including FX) followed EdGun's lead. I could be wrong about that, and I'm sure that I will be told if I am.
I don't know about airguns but the first bullpup was a James Baird Thorneycroft in 1901 carbine

"Copies"? All of these manufacturers have at least one tactical model. Some bullpups, some not.

Brocock
Daystate
Air Arms
RAW (not)
Cricket
Veteran
Umarex
JTS
Hatsan
Air Venturi
Karma Red Panda (not)
Beeman
Skout
Ghost
RTI
Norica
Ataman
Reximex
Sig

I'm sure there are others. Have fun shopping.

DAY-amn!

I would just like to clarify here that FX did not even create the bullpup airgun form. I believe EdGun takes that award for the first bullpup air rifle.

This is from ChatGPT.

The first airgun company to come up with the bullpup format is generally credited to the British manufacturer Daystate. Daystate released the first commercially available bullpup air rifle, the Daystate Huntsman Bullpup, in the 1980s. This design set a precedent for many other manufacturers to follow, combining the compactness of the bullpup configuration with the precision and power of air rifles.

Did it get it right?

This is from ChatGPT.

The first airgun company to come up with the bullpup format is generally credited to the British manufacturer Daystate. Daystate released the first commercially available bullpup air rifle, the Daystate Huntsman Bullpup, in the 1980s. This design set a precedent for many other manufacturers to follow, combining the compactness of the bullpup configuration with the precision and power of air rifles.

Did it get it right?
I'm sorry but it was Edgun with Ted Bier/Ted's Holdover behind it giving it the exposure that set the precedent which lead to everyone and their mama offering a bullpup in their lineup.

Tell me, with all of the manufacturers building various air powered guns...just...EXACTLY...how DIFFERENT...can a given company get ?
Seems to me a pretty silly comment to post.

A guitar is a guitar...right ? Most have six strings (not including bass or others), ALL have a neck, all acoustic designs have an acoustically designed body, millions are made of wood (with a couple made of steel), ALL have a nice shiny surface...etc.
BUT...they ALL look "basically" the...same !

Take a book. They ALL have covers and backs of soft or firm designs, all have pages of varying counts, all have designs on the covers. Millions upon millions of books in the world.
Just HOW does one make a book look different than the next ?

So, exactly just how does a company put a barrel, a trigger, an air cylinder, a stock of one sort or another together that looks "different" than the other hundreds of thousands airguns.

Cars.
Motorcycles
Tires
Etc............................

Mike

This is from ChatGPT.

Did it get it right?
Uck, chatbot. Memory is SO much better but if you went around back when I reckon it is some form of research, kudos.
But, got it correct. Did it mention Tony (Daystate) campaigned it for a year in competition accidently proven it was not nearly as stable a platform as a traditional airgun.

John

Bullpup is tacticool and that seems like the current trend.

John

Reactions: Bandito