Air hose question

I purchased a used 6.8 liter Omega tank from a person that left airgunning. The date on the tank is 12/14 so it is coming up on 10 years from date of manufacture. The tank and valve are in great shape appearance wise as it has been protected with mesh and a carry strap. My question is there a rule of thumb on when people change out their air hoses? The hose looks good but I was curious what most people do as to when they replace them. Is there an age limit on them?

Thanks for any input!

Reactions: Firewalker
Thanks...that is probably what I will do. I just wasn't sure if there was a time limit on when they should be replaced because of their exposure to high pressure and the elements.
The flexible microbore hose that comes with an Omega tank is the best I've used. Most other brands of hoses have a black plastic outer layer that can split if kinked or become brittle over time. The Omega hose can be tied in knots and the knit nylon outer covering is extremely wear resistant. A fill hose in a PCP application is probably pressurized less than .00001% of the time compared to an SCBA fill tank which is under high pressure almost all of the time. There is no need to ever replace a hose unless it leaks or shows obvious signs of damage.

SCBA tanks have expiration dates because the aluminum inner bladder expands and contracts each time it is refilled. The DOT standard is that 15 years worth of cycles is enough before an SCBA tank cannot be retested and approved. There are a few recent exceptions where certain SCBA tanks may be renewed up to a 30 year life span. Steel diver tanks don't have expiration dates as long as they pass a hydro test.

The flexible microbore hose that comes with an Omega tank is the best I've used. Most other brands of hoses have a black plastic outer layer that can split if kinked or become brittle over time. The Omega hose can be tied in knots and the knit nylon outer covering is extremely wear resistant. A fill hose in a PCP application is probably pressurized less than .00001% of the time compared to an SCBA fill tank which is under high pressure almost all of the time. There is no need to ever replace a hose unless it leaks or shows obvious signs of damage.

SCBA tanks have expiration dates because the aluminum inner bladder expands and contracts each time it is refilled. The DOT standard is that 15 years worth of cycles is enough before an SCBA tank cannot be retested and approved. There are a few recent exceptions where certain SCBA tanks may be renewed up to a 30 year life span. Steel diver tanks don't have expiration dates as long as they pass a hydro test.

Not exactly... The reason for the short life is twofold. 1.) There has not been 100+ years of history on CF tanks. 2.) Hydrostatic testing was used to "test" CF tanks and since Carbon Fiber is not stretchable, hydro testing destroys CF tanks whereas ultrasonic imaging just looks for defects.

Once ultrasonic testing has been proven, lifetimes of CF tanks will increase. There is no scientific evidence that fill/rest cycles influence lifespans on CF tanks.

Not exactly... The reason for the short life is twofold. 1.) There has not been 100+ years of history on CF tanks. 2.) Hydrostatic testing was used to "test" CF tanks and since Carbon Fiber is not stretchable, hydro testing destroys CF tanks whereas ultrasonic imaging just looks for defects.

Once ultrasonic testing has been proven, lifetimes of CF tanks will increase. There is no scientific evidence that fill/rest cycles influence lifespans on CF tanks.
Do you think that they might adopt using ultrasonic testing as the new standard instead of hydro testing? Seems like a better way to me.

In Europe it's been 30 years already.