• *The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Air strippers vs. Muzzle brakes

Hi guys

Can someone please tell me what's the difference between a muzzle brake vs an air stripper.

I have both of these on some of my air rifles, and some of my air rifles have nothing but a really nice crown.

Thanks guys.

Biagio
Sometimes they might be both. Depends on if the brake is mounted externally or inside a shroud.

A muzzle brake and air stripper function in similar ways, but have different purposes: A brake is intended to reduce recoil and or muzzle flip. An air stripper is intended to reduce air currents and turbulence from the projectile path to reduce buffeting of the projectile, so as to reduce group size.

An air stripper can feed air into a shroud, into a moderator chamber, or simply to the atmosphere away from the projectile path.

Small caliber airguns shooting pellets don't have much recoil or muzzle flip, yet some target pistols have air strippers with rearward and downward forcing ports. In that sense the two functions are combined.

Larger caliber PCP rifles shooting at over 500 FPE can benefit from muzzle brakes to reduce felt recoil. Custom PCPs shooting at over 1000 FPE make the benefits more obvious. Such as this 3100 FPE 20 mm caliber custom build:

Build details, here: https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=97335.0

Last edited:
A true muzzle brake directs muzzle blast up and back with various ports. It is designed to cancel rearward and upward movement due to recoil. They have no real use with airguns and are really just a misused term. Many break barrel guns have a plastic handle on the end of the barrel that are often called a brake but really just aid in cocking comfort.
A betterr word would be counteract.
👍

My understanding of an air stripper would be a diversion of the air blast into a moderator rather than out of the barrel. Strippers usually face into the blast, and can divert to other places like a shroud.
A moderator without strippers works fine. The pellet leaves the barrel entering the moderator, releasing the gas into the moderator the pellet exits the other side. The gas pressure is reduced by the area of the can reducing the noise of the exiting gas.

An air stripper can simply strip air from around the pellet path, to tighten groups - see first image below. A moderator that has no air stripper and is attached directly the the barrel muzzle can work fine for low power airguns. More powerful airguns would benefit from an air stripper, by producing smaller groups.

Air strippers can use flat walls, rather than be cone shaped. Cones are more effective, but use up more length in the system than a flat wall. A flat wall type air stripper is commonly used to feed the rear of the shroud in PCPs such as the Marauder.

1721085843590.png

1721085492505.png