AirForce Talon SS problem help ?

My AirForce Talon SS 22 has had issues where It shoots 3-4” right at 7 yards even with the scope adjustment maxed to the left. Further out it’s off the target. It’s been back to AirForce for replacement but they just sent it back to me saying it’s been repaired and they could zero it. Not much info on what they “repaired”. Now I’ve tried 4 scopes ( Leupold, Weaver, Hawke sidewinder, and UTG leapers with three different mounts. The UTG Leaper is only one in BKL rings that I can get far enough left to zero. I tried weaver 4-16 in same mounts and it shoots so far right it runs out of windage before it can get zero . What’s anyone’s opinion?

Thanks in advance from one very frustrated airgunner.

Zero it farther out, like at 30 or 40yds. At 7 yds the amount of clicks needed to zero the scope are like 8 times what it would be at 100yds. 4 clicks at 100yds is 8 clicks at 50, 16 clicks at 25, like 32 at 12yds. So you'll need 30-50 clicks of adjustment at 7 yds to move an inch on the target. My numbers aren't 100% accurate, I'm just rounding the numbers and throwing them out there to get the point across to you. Center your scope and start over at 30-40yds. Let us know how it goes! Stoti

IMO, you've done what needed to be done to troubleshoot your problem. You've tried 4 different scopes. You've tried 3 sets of rings, even flipped your rings. Still almost off target at close range with scope maxed out all the way left. That leaves me to think the rail is either not mounted correctly or something is bent on the gun, or like posted above maybe its clipping. Don't know if you saw the Edgun video,,but did you try the Edgun test of running over the rifle with a SUV... lol.

How old is the rifle..? If its under warranty(or not) still might try an actual phone call to Airforce and try to get someone that can give you technical help. Don't give up, be persistent but polite and descriptive in detail. Not sure if you've actually spoke to someone there or just had email/text conversations..? Sometimes in text convos confusion can easily occur. As we see in a post on this thread about suggesting you to zero at 40 yards when your post seems to say its almost off target to the right while at full max left adjustment on the scope at <10yards... So confusion/misunderstanding seems all to frequently the normal in text conversations,, unfortunately...

Not sure why they sent back the gun still malfunctioning, maybe they were confused about your problem. Keep trying to speak to the right person at Airforce, I doubt when you find this person they won't want to correct any drastic problem with one of their guns...

Please keep us informed as I was about to pull the trigger on a big bore deer gun Airforce Texan and would like to know more about satisfaction dealing with Airforce's customer service and ease of warranty claims...

jmo

Im with badammo. If you can i would take off the end cap on the barrel and take out the baffels and leave the cap off also and shoot a group and see if that works. It might be clipping something. If it works good like that put the cap back on and shoot again to see if it is the cap is clipping the pellet. If it still shoots good take a real good look at the baffels. It may be hard to tell with all the lead dust that gets trapped in there so look close.

Also have you removed the baffles at all before you had a problem?

Let us know what happens.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. My experience with AirForce customer service has really been poor. I’m truly hoping they will replace my gun and it works well like all the positive reviews I read before purchasing it. I really think I just got a bad gun or something. My first concern was the last two of the serial number, which have obviously been re-done at factory. It would definitely effect resale for me. Im so frustrated with this company and the product. What do you think about the number pictured below? 

1546807152_16409575515c3267706a51d4.17090337_E1597468-ABE6-43C3-A315-82AB403F150F.jpeg

I have an Talon SS probably pushing 20 years old at this point with the same problem as your's. I used this windage adjustable mount and it worked. I think it had about 20 MOA of adjustment. If that still did not work maybe you could find a windage adjustable base and use the Burris Signature rings with the inserts to add more adjustment. Bill

https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Optics-USA-Elevation-Adjustable/dp/B002K6WK0A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546816595&sr=8-2&keywords=Sun+Optics+windage+adjustable+mount

After another round of emails and a couple phone calls Air Force told me their technician diagnosed the mount rail was bent but couldn’t completely fix it. They recommended mounting the scope farther forward. After some discussion they agreed to replace the frame. How long do you think the turn around should be ? I hate to bother them with a status request because in my experience communicating with them since March of 2008 they are VERY busy. Hopefully someone higher up in management hires them some help in this new fiscal year. They received my return 4 weeks ago. Anyone have experience with an AirForce return?

Thanks !

Yes, the technician made notes about it but I did not get any communication back with the gun except a form saying it had been repaired. I re-contacted them after trying all the above problem solving measures and was told by customer service that they looked up the tech note and that’s when I found out it was bent. They suggested mounting the scope further forward on the rail to counter balance the bend. I assume they classified this problem as a user-abused category or something else. There was no external damage and no indication of abuse because it had not been abused or bent by me. They agreed to replace it when I brought it to their attention. I had to write that it was a defect and then they agreed to honor their lifetime warranty. I blame it on lack of communication within the company.

On another note, I initially got a defective tank wrench, which broke. I called and they replaced it immediately but failed to notify me the replacement was from the same batch which had flawed heat treat. The replacement broke in short time and I was left believing their good replacement wrench also broke. Another phone call lead to me discovering the whole batch was bad and there was a lead time for them to get a replacement batch properly heat treated in. Simply conveying that fact to me the customer would have alleviated any frustration. This was after the top hat came loose within the first 50 shots and I had to figure out to set it back to .080” and blue loctite the little grub screws. I was inexperience with pcp of this type so it was frustrating.

In production and subcontracting crap happens. But just communicating with your customer goes a long way.

They seem to behave like a small company that’s gotten very busy. I hope I can report back everything was made right and I end up with a gun as advertised. The Talon SS seems like a new little accurate quiet gun. I’m holding off on purchasing a Texan SS until I see the ending of this current story.

The way I see it, if they were trying to be shady, they would have never admitted to noting the rail was bent to begin with. They could have just denied finding anything wrong beyond their generic "we fixed it." Sometimes poo happens and it seems like they fixed it for you due to your persistence. Kind of like going to the doctor insisting you're sick and them thinking you're a hypochondriac until they finally listen to you and do the right tests. 

I bought a new condor ss 5/31/2019 love it co far. I was out shooting and noticed the end cap was missing and luckily the moderator parts were still there. I returned the next day to try to locate the end cap no luck! I called Air Force and told them what occurred and all lost parts were replaced for no charge! I was impressed.... hope your replacement rifle serves you well!