Tuning AirForce TalonSS Air Tank - Valve Leak Repair?

I have a used AirForce TalonSS air tank that is leaking at the valve seat. The valve looks like it has been re-worked at some point. It, at least, has added washers, I think a replaced spring, and possibly an adjusted base fitting:

20211222_112709.1648783561.jpg

Is it possible to get replacement parts for the valve itself? As a 2nd hand owner, what do you think would be the best means of repairing this valve?

Thank you, Chris

Reactions: Conner holifield
Actually, the way they did it the first split lock washer has been flattened, and the 2nd split lock washer is normal, so there was some specific intention to the work, I think.

I haven't actually contacted AirForce about it. My original intention was to ask here if the spring looked stock or not - and why someone would add these washers. After some looking, I'm pretty sure the spring isn't stock (most spring pictures I see online are tapered instead of straight). I'll check with AirForce tomorrow and see what they have for options. I'm hoping for a simple repair rather than an upgrade if possible.

Have you tried contacting AF for parts? ...

So, I have no idea why I didn't think to try them first. They are very helpful.

I called - and explained what I thought I needed. They helped choose and order some replacement pieces (spring, Delrin valve head, o-ring, and a filler cap) for a grand total of $11 with shipping.

The replacement Delrin valve head is functionally longer, and the replacement spring is functionally longer. I removed the washers and re-assembled.

Everything is right back to normal!

20220515_204700.1652808632.jpg

20220515_204732.1652808657.jpg

I am having a similar problem. I need to remove the brass part under the valve to replace an o ring on an older style Air force condor tank.
What tool did you use in the two small prongs in the round brass peice in order to unscrew it? Will ring lock pliers like this work?
from airforce

The spanner wrench from Harbor freight doesn't work.
The top hat valve is in the way, so there is no way to get the prongs into the small holes in the brass part under the valve.
I spent weeks buying different tools to try to get the valve out and then back in.
A local fabricating shop was finally able to get the brass part out, but once we put the o ring on it, it was impossible to get it to screw back into the bottle securely.

A post above recommended removing the entire valve assembly from the bottle, then work backwards to get access to the brass part without the top hat valve in the way.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get the collar off the bottle, although I was able to snap two drill bits trying.
The local shop was also unable to get the valve collar off. We used increasing force and larger tools, until the entire assembly was destroyed, both the neck, the valve, the brass part and the top hat were shredded clumps of twisted metal, all useless.

I spent several hundred dollars on tools and labor to try to get a 10 cent O ring replaced, and was never able to accomplish it.
I concluded that the Air force valve is an INCREDIBLY bad design. I learned my lesson, and will never purchase another Air force product.

I'm left with a useless air rifle, a great deal of lost time and money, and a firm resolve to do better research before investing heavily into a product that is so poorly designed.

My bad.

Reactions: colin.704
The spanner wrench from Harbor freight doesn't work.
The top hat valve is in the way, so there is no way to get the prongs into the small holes in the brass part under the valve.
I spent weeks buying different tools to try to get the valve out and then back in.
A local fabricating shop was finally able to get the brass part out, but once we put the o ring on it, it was impossible to get it to screw back into the bottle securely.

A post above recommended removing the entire valve assembly from the bottle, then work backwards to get access to the brass part without the top hat valve in the way.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get the collar off the bottle, although I was able to snap two drill bits trying.
The local shop was also unable to get the valve collar off. We used increasing force and larger tools, until the entire assembly was destroyed, both the neck, the valve, the brass part and the top hat were shredded clumps of twisted metal, all useless.

I spent several hundred dollars on tools and labor to try to get a 10 cent O ring replaced, and was never able to accomplish it.
I concluded that the Air force valve is an INCREDIBLY bad design. I learned my lesson, and will never purchase another Air force product.

I'm left with a useless air rifle, a great deal of lost time and money, and a firm resolve to do better research before investing heavily into a product that is so poorly designed.

My bad.
yeah just left harbor freight. came to the same conclusions. AF is saying a 2month turn around so was trying to do it myself. sorry you went thru this but glad you posted, now I know to give up and send it in. I won't be buying another either

i pulled mine off a few times years ago, bought it in 2009,, tuning my condor,, the first time was harder,
i think they put thread locker on the threads of the valve, had to put a little heat on it to get it to start to loosen , i wrapped the bottle in a old serpentine belt from my truck, locked it in a vice, and used a piece of serpentine belt, around the valve and a pipe wrench,, tap the pipe wrench with a long 3/8'' extension or metal rod that is heavy enough to work.. to shock the valve to get it to loosen ..

the air force is very innovative, especially back in 2009,, i shot my air force condor over 10000 times in less than 2 years,

i've had 32 grain pellet's at 1150 fps, best groups at 950fps, and 14 grain wad cutter shooting target at 450fps,,for over 100 shot string. there are allot of changes in the air gun world today, but for adjustability and power, i don't think you can beat the air force condor.

Last edited:
Thank you powderburner.
That is very helpful information. I appreciate you taking the time to post it.
I suspect my Air force condor may be past the point of no return.
Ever if it isn't a lost cause, after spending several years, and several hundred $ on it, I gave up.
I purchased a used Benjamín Marauder Pistol, and have been happily shooting away with no complications and no problems.
I have found the Prod to be what Apple products used to be, during the Steve Jobs times:
It just works!

Reactions: Conner holifield