Airgun owners vs firearm owners

I own both and enjoy both. As a young man I got into reloading as a means to shoot more for less cost than factory ammo. I bought an R7 and R1 Beeman in the early 1990's and used them a little until the airgun bug bit me in the early 2000's. I've owned more models of break barrel springers of every make and model than I can remember. PCP's gradually dominated in my collection. I had a few years of backyard bliss with my springers and PCPs until a tree hugger neighbor moved next door to me and started complaining. Backyard friendly didn't matter to them over their love for the tree rats. They didn't know the difference between a PCP and an elephant gun but the city laws and restrictions were on their side.

It amuses me to read so many forum members stating that they shoot air rifles to save money. Unless someone sticks to entry level brand PCPs, Walmart pellets, and Yong Heng compressors, it isn't an inexpensive hobby. Long range shooting with slugs or big bore calibers is especially expensive when the cost of all the accessories and ammo cost is added up. I can shoot my rimfire match rifles with CCI standard velocity ammo for less than it costs to buy slugs and maintain high end PCPs, compressors, tanks, scopes, chronographs, and slugs. Customizing a PCP can significantly add to the total cost.

As an older man I also am starting to appreciate the lower maintenance requirements of powder burners as compared to the inevitable service requirements of PCPs. O-rings harden, regulators are a PITA to rebuild and function as when new, compressors are expensive to ship and repair, tanks expire, and big bore pellets and slugs prices are pricey on a unit cost basis.

I've gone full circle and currently find myself enjoying my rimfire rifles and handguns more than my air rifles. Everything has it's cycles. I understand and appreciate both sides of the airguns or firearms preference reasons.

Last edited:
I have both, got into reloading and casting bullets as a young man in college so I could afford to shoot my 30-06. For years it and a Marlin 39a .22LR lever action were my only guns, then I got a Remington varmint rifle in .223, and since then, many more rifles, handguns and shotguns. Where my wife and I finally settled, the closest range is about 50 miles one way, I do maintain a membership so at least I have a place to go, even though it is only a few times a year, and like today with a heat index of 109, no way. I got interested back in late 1974, early 75 and got a FWB 124, and then about ten years later a FWB 300s, and while my son was growing up that was it. Since we got him out of university and law school about 20 years ago my collection of both airguns and powder burners has grown. In airguns all my rifles are springers, handguns some springers, some CO2, and a few single stroke pneumatics. I am staying away from the pcp game, as I simply do not have a place for a good compressor, nor do I want the expense of one.

Reactions: sekiar
Next try tomahawks , loads of fun , a "round " sawn from a log of a stump target with a playing card on it .
Already there...! I have a slew of throwing knives and am at least ok with spin and no spin throwing and have made a couple tomahawks. I used a cookie from a stump for a while and then built an end grain proper target some years back!

Reactions: beerthief
Started the my journey with a Sheridan Blue streak....
Then Dr Beeman appears... I will never get out of Airguns

I am also into Powder Burners... By my username.. Varminting is my thing
Out here in California Central Valley.. Ground squirrels..
So my thing is Long Range Varminting... 75 out to 500+ yards.
But my trusty PCP is always by my side!!
During down time or for the close in shots.. a quiet pellet thump can be Beat!!

Have both, or I guess all three. I prefer shooting airguns. It's something I can do every day. My second favorite are blackpowder guns. One shot at a time and loads of fun, with that big puff of smoke. As with firearms I get out four or five times a year, but shoot the blackpowder more than the modern.
Back in the late 80's early 90's we shot black powder every weekend, we used Goex FFF most of the time. 54, 58, 45, 36 and 44 cal, those were the fun days.

Almost exclusively air power. Can do it in the backyard. While it is expensive to get in but once in a think it most certainly is a savings. Once you step just a little into the centerfire world you get to the dollar amount per shot instead of cent. I used to shoot a lot of trap and five stand. Now that you burn 16-18 dollars in five minutes shooting 25 targets I really don’t shoot much. I have yet to sell my browning O/U even though I’ve thought about it a few times. Probably never will.

Reactions: Mike_OH and sekiar
Almost exclusively air power. Can do it in the backyard. While it is expensive to get in but once in a think it most certainly is a savings. Once you step just a little into the centerfire world you get to the dollar amount per shot instead of cent. I used to shoot a lot of trap and five stand. Now that you burn 16-18 dollars in five minutes shooting 25 targets I really don’t shoot much. I have yet to sell my browning O/U even though I’ve thought about it a few times. Probably never will.
I got into milsurps and curio and relics back when they were selling Mosin Nagants for $75 each and I bought thousands of rounds of 7.62x54r and 8mm mauser for around 6 cents a shot. I basically purchased a lifetime supply of those two, but if I want to shoot my K31 I'm looking at nearly $2 per shot. I got a chance to fire an old Martini Henry recently and was told that each shot for that was around $13.

When I shoot airguns on the other hand I don't even think about the expense. I can fire 500 pellets in a day and spend less than $15 doing it.

I own both. I shoot mostly airguns because it's cheaper, more quiet, and most case can shoot in the backyard if neighbors is ok with it.
Firearm can only be shoot in the woods, ammo are more expensive, louder.
Some people get can't get firearm cause they are criminals. So airgun is an alternative for them lol. Airgun be can ship to you no background check or to ffl. Also you can buy airgun silencer without a tax stamp.

Started out very young on .22's plinking and hunting. Been into guns my whole life. Shotguns, rifles and pistols, black powder,..add in some archery as well. Had only very occasionally shot a BB gun or a pellet rifle of friends growing up. One of my PB'er buddies had a Diana 46 I bought 10 or 15 years ago and been plinking ever since. Have bought several more and plan on continuing to add. They are just easy to grab and go for plinking and pesting in the yard..also do a little hunting with them. They absolutely fill a niche for me. I just buy what I like.

I know many firearm owners and a few firearm shop owners who scoff at airguns, they see it as kid stuff.
I'm one of the few members at my outdoor gun range that shoots PCPs more than my firearms. Most members are curious and impressed by the quality of the PCPs I'll be using. I can't ever recall anyone scoffing at my "BB guns" because most of them cost more than their AR's and centerfire bolt actions. At 50 yards I can outshoot most guys using rimfire match rifles unless it's a very windy day.

Reactions: Air King
I don’t think there is any way to guess at this.

Some of us shoot airguns because firearms are illegal or impractical. Many of us shoot all types (I do) but for many years I was airguns only and if/when I have to downsize the centerfires will go first, then rimfire, and airguns will be the last to go.

As costs for powder burning consumables (bullets, barrels, primers, rimfire ammo, brass, and powder) keep spiraling up, I think more of us will lean harder into airguns.

I think all of the above only holds true for the target and accuracy focused crowd. The AR-15 “tactical” crowd is heavily biased toward maximum lethality and power and airguns will not adequately crutch their male inadequacy issues. I don’t know what will keep that crowd happy except for them to spend their every free dollar on arming themselves to the teeth.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I got into milsurps and curio and relics back when they were selling Mosin Nagants for $75 each and I bought thousands of rounds of 7.62x54r and 8mm mauser for around 6 cents a shot. I basically purchased a lifetime supply of those two, but if I want to shoot my K31 I'm looking at nearly $2 per shot. I got a chance to fire an old Martini Henry recently and was told that each shot for that was around $13.

When I shoot airguns on the other hand I don't even think about the expense. I can fire 500 pellets in a day and spend less than $15 doing it.
Likewise, I got several milsurps, C&R. several including one rather rare Swedish Mauser, six K 31's and one 1911 Schmidt Rubin. Paid around as you say $75 for most of the K 31's then around $100 for the Swedes. I did buy several cases of the Swiss GP 11 ammo and have it stashed away along with 1000 rounds of boxer primed brass., not so much for the 6.5x55 for the Swedes.
Probably a couple of tins of quality pellets compared to one box of centerfire ammo. Go price .22 Hornet or my little 32-20 ammo, if you can find it, then the cost of 100 miles round trip to the range.

I am shooting in a large sclae gun club only no hunting or plinking around a house. I am the only one with airguns (so far) and my experience is a very low look from the firearms people. For this reason I got myself just recently a f-class 308 project, only to show them the results that comes from training/practising with airguns.
Also a member in a Canadian gun forum CGN where during most conversations always comes up the story .... if you don't shoot pb you don't know sheiss ...
What me to say? :)

Reactions: Air King
I
I don’t think there is any way to guess at this.

Some of us shoot airguns because firearms are illegal or impractical. Many of us shoot all types (I do) but for many years I was airguns only and if/when I have to downsize the centerfires will go first, then rimfire, and airguns will be the last to go.

As costs for powder burning consumables (bullets, barrels, primers, rimfire ammo, brass, and powder) keep spiraling up, I think more of us will lean harder into airguns.

I think all of the above only holds true for the target and accuracy focused crowd. The AR-15 “tactical” crowd is heavily biased toward maximum lethality and power and airguns will not adequately crutch their male inadequacy issues. I don’t know what will keep that crowd happy except for them to spend their every free dollar on arming themselves to the teeth.
Word.