Airgun ownership.

Toxic masculinity? What a load of crap.

Depends on the oring. Some are super simple, others not so much.

You don't have to agree with my opinions nor do I yours, but calling toxic masculinity "load of crap" is an exceptionally weak argument. There is a wiki, webmd, and other academic pages/citations that covers it. Carry on.

-Matt

Why are people whining about O-rings? It's a pneumatic gun. It has to keep the air in somehow. If you're a scared baby and don't want to tear into the gun and see how it works. Please take it to a shop or don't buy it.
O-Rings are a rubber material. It gets old. It cracks it needs to be lubed or be replaced it's part of the deal.

I personally am not whining, I think its silly to hold all airgunners to a specific standard that suggests that in order for them to be an owner of such airguns, they must have the skill, will and tools required to change o-rings.

Not all airgun tear-down jobs are straight forward, and there are a lot of ways to ruin a gun by doing so without a particular set of skills, tools, knowledge, or even something as simple as time. Calling those that hire others to reseal their airguns for them babies is...one take.

-Matt

Reactions: DeanB
Academics found it necessary to invent toxic masculinity, so... It's academic... Just how many genders are there, btw?

Interpersonal skills aside, airguns should be rated by the necessary technical skill level and specialty tool requirements.

At one point, I taught groups of women how to maintain and repair their motorycles. I was amazed at just how attentive and meticulous they were with what they were doing. (All while being mostly soft and smelling good.) Many went on to successfully deprive their dealerships of the work. I taught a few to weld as well, and they were all rather good at it. I'm okay with that.

Cheers,

J~

Academics found it necessary to invent toxic masculinity, so... It's academic... Just how many genders are there, btw?

Interpersonal skills aside, airguns should be rated by the necessary technical skill level and specialty tool requirements.

At one point, I taught groups of women how to maintain and repair their motorycles. I was amazed at just how attentive and meticulous they were with what they were doing. (All while being mostly soft and smelling good.) Many went on to successfully deprive their dealerships of the work. I taught a few to weld as well, and they were all rather good at it. I'm okay with that.

Cheers,

J~

Toxic masculinity covers many things, from mild, to severe. Should females, or younger kids not own airguns because they cannot reseal their airguns?

Self-reliance / hyper independence is a mild form of it which is the premise of this thread.

-Matt

Reactions: elwoodblues
In my opinion airguns shouldn't come with a disclaimer until/unless light bulbs and ladders do.

OOPS! On second thought... :unsure:

No one should fear ladders of any height. My one legged grandpappy would climb to the top of a 15 foot 3 legged step ladder and balance himself on the very top while changing light bulbs in our vaulted ceiling. (/sarcasm for those not picking up on it.)

-Matt

I very very rarely will ever work on an airgun. My time is worth more then the guns most of the time. I'll sell it, trade it or just add it to the pile laying around.

Is it really worth spending the money to get seals, then spend an hour messing with a gun.. such as a Crosman 38T? For me, absolutely not. My full time job takes up most of my time.. no way will I spend what I have left fixing broken airguns.

Then if it's a more expensive or complicated gun, it's better off in someone else's hand fixing it then me spending even more hours just trying to learn how to fix it.

Then what about the ones there are no seals for? I'm now supposed to buy equipment, materials, and then learn how to operate all that equipment, troubleshoot reasons the new made parts don't work properly, go back through the guns to make them work.

People like this hobby because the vast majority of airguns are inexpensive and easy to just replace the whole thing.. it if it's a high end gun, there are those that specialize in fixing them.

My mechanical abilities are limited but I've been able to maintain and repair the air guns that I own.

I've replaced broken springs and piston seals, resealed air guns and have done clean and lube servicing on my own. It's a lot easier and more satisfying than having to box them up and send them back to the factory.

Is this a tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic comment?
1725568074851.gif

Reactions: beerthief
Not bashing or limiting people in any but why buy a complicated piece of machinery and expect it to do high performance work with no maintenance?

Heeeel, even my diesel tractor needs grease, oil and filters every year.

No one implied no maintenance needed, the thread is questioning if you should even own the complicated piece of machinery if you're unwilling to perform the maintenance.

Where do you draw the line? Personally, I don't draw one, because I feel that its not set in stone that any person should be required to do a,b or c to own x,y or z.

-Matt

Not bashing or limiting people in any but why buy a complicated piece of machinery and expect it to do high performance work with no maintenance?

Heeeel, even my diesel tractor needs grease, oil and filters every year.
So what if you had to remove the engine head to replace the oil filter ? FX guns come to mind .

So what if you had to remove the engine head to replace the oil filter ? FX guns come to mind .

I just saw a thread on another forum not long ago of someone replacing a turbo or something rather basic on their truck, that required the entire body be lifted from the frame...I forget the model or exact part but it was comical, and its even more comical to expect everyone to dare disassemble and reassemble every piece of equipment they own if perhaps it needs attention.

-Matt

Why are people whining about O-rings? It's a pneumatic gun. It has to keep the air in somehow. If you're a scared baby and don't want to tear into the gun and see how it works. Please take it to a shop or don't buy it.
O-Rings are a rubber material. It gets old. It cracks it needs to be lubed or be replaced it's part of the deal.
What's with the scared baby remark? No need to make disparaging comments just because someone might recognize their own limitations or not want to delve into an area with which they're not comfortable. I personally try to help people here, not discourage them by passing judgment.