Airgun ownership.

What's with the scared baby remark? No need to make disparaging comments just because someone might recognize their own limitations or not want to delve into an area with which they're not comfortable. I personally try to help people here, not discourage them by passing judgment.

100%. Risk assessment and harm reduction (both to self or your beloved airgun) is a very reasonable approach for some people that don't have time, tools or desire. HPA is not a joke, and people around here treating it as such should be ashamed.

-Matt

Changing an o-ring is one thing that should be considered par for the course. However, that implies the manufacturer provides decent documentation, i.e. its exact size & how to get to it. It’s plainly apparent from reading these forums that most manufacturers know they can get away with poorly designed/finished products and minimal customer service because so many airgunners are willing to diagnose & fix the problems themselves.

I have completely rebuilt, resealed several of the Daisy 717,747,777 series, I have also built up from parts several of the Crosman 22xx types, to include building the 1701p type triggers for them. About 30-35 years ago I tried to reseal a FWB 124, and had no idea about spring compressors, I quickly learned that without proper tools some things are better left to pros, so I sent it off. I could hold the gun and end cap and compress the spring but I was afraid I would get the cap crossthreaded and ruin things.

Yes I can change a hot water tank, or at least have helped a neighbor. Now at soon to be age 79, ours is in an elevated closet with the A/C unit, and I simply cannot lift a 40 gal tank into place, probably not even with help. Once in place connecting would be no problem. About 25 years ago I had a shed built about 50 yards from the house. I did run cable in underground conduit, installed new circuit breaker, and wired it for both 220 and 110 outlets and lighting. I recently on a weekend installed a new kitchen sink, faucet set got rather sore from all the twisting to get all the conections removed and then connecting to new set. All the twisting and turning under there got me. It's sometimes not knowing how, but at some point maybe not being able to do some of these things. Arthritis in the hands is beginning to preclude me working with small mechanisms with strong springs.

I don't fix my own airguns (or change the oil in my car, truck and boat) because it makes me more manly. I do it because it is the easiest way for me to get the task accomplished. When I sent in my Avenger for a warranty leak fix I was without the gun for 5 days. It has never taken me 5 days to do anything on an airgun. But that has no bearing on what is the right answer for anybody else. I can change the oil and filter on my car and truck in less time than it takes to drive to the dealership or oil change place.

I also enjoy helping others with things that are easy for me but not easy for them. I do not call them names or try to imply they are in any way lesser. I just try to help. I also enjoy teaching people who want to learn. To me, this what a man does.

I don't fix my own airguns (or change the oil in my car, truck and boat) because it makes me more manly. I do it because it is the easiest way for me to get the task accomplished. When I sent in my Avenger for a warranty leak fix I was without the gun for 5 days. It has never taken me 5 days to do anything on an airgun. But that has no bearing on what is the right answer for anybody else. I can change the oil and filter on my car and truck in less time than it takes to drive to the dealership or oil change place.

I also enjoy helping others with things that are easy for me but not easy for them. I do not call them names or try to imply they are in any way lesser. I just try to help. I also enjoy teaching people who want to learn. To me, this what a man does.

I do it all because I am cheap! :ROFLMAO:

Which shouldn't be confused for poor, I have money, because I do everything myself! lol

Honestly the way I see it, is a paying job, even if I am not being paid, by not paying someone else, I am technically paying myself. Win!

-Matt

Toxic masculinity covers many things, from mild, to severe. Should females, or younger kids not own airguns because they cannot reseal their airguns?

Self-reliance / hyper independence is a mild form of it which is the premise of this thread.

-Matt
Toxic Masculinity - another word made up by and used by feminist to have a reason for being rejected by men.

And now back to the topic.

It helps to know who, but if you don't have the time and have the money, let someone else do it to get the results you want quicker.

I can rebuild a motor, after it's been machined, but it would take me a while plus buying all the tools, I'd rather let someone who can do it better get her done.

Smitty

Let's not forget the ones that think they can fix their guns, and in the process destroy them or do serious damage to irreplaceable parts.

2 Sheridan Super grades I had in the past both suffered severely from the hands of back yard airgun smiths... many guns I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole due to amateurs creating more unseen damage. (Cross threaded parts, messed up screws, busted valves, etc...).

I don't mind if people who can't fix their guns own them. It doesn't cost me anything if they have someone else fix it. Or if they do it themselves and screw it up, it might save me money. I don't mind buying someone else's problem at the right price. Although I suppose that could come back to bite me if I can't fix it either.

Reactions: daddypaddy
I don't mind if people who can't fix their guns own them. It doesn't cost me anything if they have someone else fix it. Or if they do it themselves and screw it up, it might save me money. I don't mind buying someone else's problem at the right price. Although I suppose that could come back to bite me if I can't fix it either.
your thinking is all wrong. you can fix anything if you fervently obsess to want to fix it.

Reactions: Frozenspyder
Toxic masculinity is a fairly decent descriptive phrase when it's referring to some AH with a chip on his shoulder that won't drive a hybrid because they're "too gay". It's meant to describe someone with anger issues and a hypermasculine persona.

The problem with any such phrase like it though is that it's only a matter of time before political activists weaponize it and apply it to anything they disapprove of and pretty soon all things masculine are being described as "toxic masculinity".

Reactions: Treefrog and Vetmx
That is gatekeeping, and toxic masculinity, but you do you.

FWIW I towed for AAA for quite some time, you realize that many, many men don't know how to change a tire or work a jack? Did I shame them or insult them or tell them they shouldn't be car owners? Nah, I did my job, and got them back up and running.

Likewise with troubleshooting the simplest of things, running out of gas, jump starting, banging on the fuel tank to get the fuel pump working again temporarily so they could make it to a shop to repair, swapping fuses...ect.

-Matt
Yes and those people kept you busy and working and a paycheck coming. If everyone could do everything for themselves a lot of people would be out of work.

Reactions: coastal drifter