Airgun ownership.

What's with the scared baby remark? No need to make disparaging comments just because someone might recognize their own limitations or not want to delve into an area with which they're not comfortable. I personally try to help people here, not discourage them by passing judgment.

Well said Gerry!

Especially your last sentence. “ I personally try to help people here, not discourage them by passing judgement.”

There seems to be a lot of pent up anger in some of these threads. I truly admire those who can tear down their guns, but I’m not one of them. It’s not for a lack ( or fear) of trying to learn to fix a tough problem.

Some O-rings are easy to replace, some can be difficult. I would rather spend my time shooting my guns than spend excessive amounts of time working on them. It’s a balance for me. I try to dig in and fix some things, and have unintentionally screwed up my gun on a couple of occasions.

So, if it’s under warranty and I get stuck, I ship it back to AoA or a reputable Smith here on AGN if outside of warranty.

It takes some effort to try and help someone and most of us feel much better for doing so.

Say what you will, this thread just keeps on giving.

People mistake able-ism for masculinity. I see the whole "toxic masculinity" thing as a recently created system of heirarchy that the inventors are attempting to use to subjugate others. (As are all forms of political correctness.) When someone says "You can't say that!" it leads me to wonder where their badge is and who appointed them to that superior position.

Cheers,

J~

Toxic masculinity is a fairly decent descriptive phrase when it's referring to some AH with a chip on his shoulder that won't drive a hybrid because they're "too gay". It's meant to describe someone with anger issues and a hypermasculine persona.

The problem with any such phrase like it though is that it's only a matter of time before political activists weaponize it and apply it to anything they disapprove of and pretty soon all things masculine are being described as "toxic masculinity".

It's amazing how many people are triggered by such a simple phrase that encompasses so many different things, yet they'll assume in this context its for the most extreme of them...

It is NOT meant to describe someone with anger issues AND hypermasculine persona...you're just boxing the phrase in, but hey, I like to keep an open mind opposed to a closed one, so I will continue on not taking such minor phrases or things in life to such extremes.

Me: "Look at that fire ant hill over there! Cautious guys..."

The ones offended by 'toxic masculinity': "OMG he thinks the world is going to end, and that we're all being taken over by ants."

Lol...

-Matt

Reactions: Septicdeath
Say what you will, this thread just keeps on giving.

People mistake able-ism for masculinity. I see the whole "toxic masculinity" thing as a recently created system of heirarchy that the inventors are attempting to use to subjugate others. (As are all forms of political correctness.) When someone says "You can't say that!" it leads me to wonder where their badge is and who appointed them to that superior position.

Cheers,

J~

Ableism is discrimination and social prejudice against people with physical or mental disabilities....

So we're going there eh? Two can play at the game of forcing your word or phrase into a small corner...

So those who opt to not service their own airguns/orings, are they mentally or physically disabled, according to you??

-Matt

At one time we all sucked at what we are now good at. How do you know if you should never try to work on something again? You try. Some people are better at recognizing their limitations, are lazy or just have no interest. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. A neglected gun might be easier to fix than a hacked up one.

At one time we all sucked at what we are now good at. How do you know if you should never try to work on something again? You try. Some people are better at recognizing their limitations, are lazy or just have no interest. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. A neglected gun might be easier to fix than a hacked up one.

Valid. I think the key points here are.

• Not everyone has the time, life is busy, from work to family to other hobbies
  • Not everyone has the tools, life is expensive and limiting on space
  • Not everyone has the fortitude, life deals us all different hands, can't expect everyone to do everything themselves and be a DIY'er

Suggesting that if you can't service your own gun you shouldn't own one creates a rift, of exclusiveness, and divisiveness between the two groups, those that do, and those that don't. Both types have voiced themselves in this thread, and in my opinion, only one group is right, and the other places a wedge where it doesn't belong.

You don't grow communities by provoking thought which boxes us in further than we already are, you grow them by accepting people, regardless of their appearance or limits.

-Matt

Not everyone has the fortitude, life deals us all different hands, can't expect everyone to do everything themselves and be a DIY'er

Exactly. (y)

Imagine seeing someone performing DIY open-heart surgery on his child.

"Yeah, it's OUR kid, so WE are supposed to fix it when it's broken."

(No offense to anyone in this thread, just food for thought.)

If you can't change an o ring on an airgun you shouldn't buy any airgun. Simple as that. Not sure why ppl are comparing it to owning a house and can't fix electric wiring, heaters, plumbing, etc and can't own a car if you can't fix it. That's like comparing apples to orange lol.
I see your point. Those comparisons are not very realistic. Comparing a necessity to a luxury item. But plenty of people own luxury items and don’t have a clue how they work. And that’s why people have jobs at motorcycle dealers, boat shops, etc. And why guys pay out the butt to have their guns resealed.

Lots of college campus buzzwords in this thread, lol.

Funny thing about colleges and "formal educations" is that the social environment makes a person think that they're becoming enlightened and that their horizons are being broadened, when all that really happens is that they're all being conditioned to think the same narrow-minded way. Watching that process is an interesting social experiment in and of itself.

My wife sure doesn't consider it "toxic" when I'm able to fix something around the house that needs fixed.

As for "inclusivity," this is an airgun forum guys! Stressing the importance of being "inclusive" for such a niche interest tickles my funny bone. People that are crazy enough about airguns to hang around on an airgun forum are a VERY small subset of the population. Sure don't think anybody is going to get run off because they were offended that somebody said they should fix their own gun.

Anyway, if you know how to fix your gun, great, fix it. If you'd rather pay someone else to do it, also great, send it off and pay them to fix it.

Should airguns come with a disclaimer… If a person is scared to change an O-ring… should they buy an Airgun?

Dave

Little did you know when you started this thread, that you would invoke such a response.

I will say that my two Anschutz .22 LR Rimfires require almost ‘no maintenance.’ No O-rings, no hammer springs, no regulators, no air leaks, no valve issues, etc. For that, I love to bring them to my range because I never worry about these issues. They always work and I love to shoot paper targets at distance for informal AGN N50 target challenges.

That said, I love air rifles for many of the obvious reasons which are well documented on this forum.

So, back to your question. Should you buy an air rifle if ‘ you are afraid to replace an O-ring?’

My intuition is that a new PCP owner needs to thoroughly understand what he/she is getting into with this hobby. Then, decide if you want to dip your toe in the water, or jump in!

I enjoy both hobbies, and accept my limitations for difficult AG repairs.