Airgun Tuning - Guitars/Airguns - OEM vs. Custom Shop

Hey Guys,
After spending the last two months learning about Electric Guitar Building/Customizing, I have come up with (what I think is) a very good comparison with OEM Airgun quality and the benefits of Airgun Tuning.

Specifically, using Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster guitars as an example ... we have the quality hierarchy as follows:
- Squire Affinity Telecaster/Statocaster - $199+
- Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster/Strat. - $430+
- Fender Player Telecaster/Stratocaster - $850
- Fender Professional Tele/Stratocaster - $1,800+
- Fender Custom Shop Tele/Strat. - $4,500+

What I would say, is the Best Airguns are made to the standards of the Fender Professional guitars.
Good enough quality for the average consumer, but not good enough for folks who scrutinize it everyday (or use it to earning a living .... professionally).
I know this maybe an exaggeration (You Tube videos), but most veterans (Guitar Players) scoff at a stock, Fender Professional - saying it just doesn't Feel or Play good enough in their hands.

They want something more broken in or Worn in ................ and that has some other Customized Tricks done to it - they often use.
-> Sound Familiar ????

Enter in the Fender Custom Shop - :)
For roughly an additional $2,500+, a professional Luthier can make a guitar with (somewhat) standard specs - that has special wood, made everything broken in for smooth playing, and included the best pickups/controls you can get. I'm sure the paint is special too, but most videos seem to show it's their feel or play-ability that is paramount.

This is tantamount to having Motorhead, Paul Watts or maybe Michael Nitsch work the gun over.

The Custom Shop is like an excellent "after-market" Tune to enhance the guns shot cycle, efficiency or tweak accuracy a bit.
This is not to say an OEM gun is bad at all, just not ideal - further, many home/professional tuners can do the same - (mubhaur).

Using the Fender Custom Shop example, this is proportionally how much it would cost airgun manufactures to custom tune a gun.
Guitars are a different animal vs. Airguns .... there is a vast market for Custom Shop guitars, whereas most folks already complain about high Airgun costs. Guaranteed, only the top 5% (my guess) would buy an OEM, Custom Shop Airgun - meaning an idea domed to failure -> right now.

But I would suggest, this is a great way for folks with some basic skills to get close to a custom shop Airgun.
Again, were not all Motorhead's with a lathe, Mill and other stuff ..... but it's silly to settle for a Standard Airgun when a somewhat, Custom Shop alternative is available with a little $$, leg work and Tinkering Time.

Many will say a OEM - RAW HM1000x
doesn't need to be tuned, but why not try to achieve a Custom Shop version!(y)

Wilkinson Modern Telecaster  .jpg

RAW 2 - Red.jpg

Last edited:
We can go a step farther with your comparison. I went through a bunch of guitars until I settled on PRS S2 McCarty 594. But some things sound better and I still like to play my Schecter Nick Johnston strat. So even those that don’t need a custom shop still need variety that they play or shoot well. Guns are no different than a lot of things that require skill.

Yeah Springfield,
That's what I've determined ...... an inexpensive guitar with a good body/neck configuration can be modified to sound like a $2,000+ guitar.
It's tone and play-ability can be modified to be 85%/90% as good as a Custom Shop Guitar.
The downside in the guitar world, is that it's sale value will still be at an OEM Epiphone levelso_O. So, ... mostly all mod value/costs are lost + your time.
- Bottom line ....... play it an enjoy and don't sell it ...... or part out.
As a guitar player myself, I love it when a pro picks up a inexpensive guitar, and does their thing!
One of the best, local players I know, plays a $300 Epiphone, yet owns numerous $4000 guitars!
I would say airguns are similar, yet different.
I dont ever recall seeing a Gamo, or Snowpeak winning a competition!
Guaranteed, if he got into a Guitar competition with $$$ on the line --> he'd use the $4K guitars (y) .

As a guitar player myself, I love it when a pro picks up a inexpensive guitar, and does their thing!
One of the best, local players I know, plays a $300 Epiphone, yet owns numerous $4000 guitars!
I would say airguns are similar, yet different.
I dont ever recall seeing a Gamo, or Snowpeak winning a competition!
Has anyone tried?

Has anyone tried?
I would assume so.
One must "qualify" for the major events, in order to compete in the main events.
I would certainly think there have been attempts.
Id love to see a low budget set up, win a major event!
These guys dont blink an eye, spending $3000 for a adjustable, billet aluminum rifle rest.
Can you imagine a 12 year old girl, showing up with her $100 pink Crosman, and winning an event!
LOL!

I think it would take an individual with peerless shooting skills (wind reading ability & ..............) to overcome a Gamo, Crosman or Snowpeak airgun regardless of how modified it was. Further, I don't think such an individual would waste his time & $$$ to try it:p.

This isn't to say these guns they can't have a strong presence in everyday Airgunning:).

I can sorta see where the OP is coming from. I've always tuned both my own guitars and air rifles.

But I don't believe that you have to spend big bucks to have fun or win competitions. Case in point. - https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/politics.373668/post-374297

I get a lot out of taking a sow's ear and well, you know...

Cheers,

J~

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
After spending the last two months learning about Electric Guitar Building/Customizing, I have come up with (what I think is) a very good comparison with OEM Airgun quality and the benefits of Airgun Tuning.

Specifically, using Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster guitars as an example ... we have the quality hierarchy as follows:
- Squire Affinity Telecaster/Statocaster - $199+
- Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster/Strat. - $430+
- Fender Player Telecaster/Stratocaster - $850
- Fender Professional Tele/Stratocaster - $1,800+
- Fender Custom Shop Tele/Strat. - $4,500+

What I would say, is the Best Airguns are made to the standards of the Fender Professional guitars.
Good enough quality for the average consumer, but not good enough for folks who scrutinize it everyday (or use it to earning a living .... professionally).
I know this maybe an exaggeration (You Tube videos), but most veterans (Guitar Players) scoff at a stock, Fender Professional - saying it just doesn't Feel or Play good enough in their hands.

They want something more broken in or Worn in ................ and that has some other Customized Tricks done to it - they often use.
-> Sound Familiar ????

Enter in the Fender Custom Shop - :)
For roughly $2,500+ a professional Luthier can make a guitar with (somewhat) standard specs that has special wood, everything broken in for smooth playing, and the best pickups/controls you can get. I'm sure the paint is special too, but most videos seem to show it's their feel or play-ability is paramount.

This is tantamount to having Motorhead, Paul Watts or maybe Michael Nitsch work the gun over.

The Custom Shop is like an excellent "after-market" Tune to enhance the guns shot cycle, efficiency or tweak accuracy a bit.
This is not to say an OEM gun is bad at all, just not ideal - further, many home tuners can do the same - (mubhaur).

Using the Fender Custom Shop example, this is proportianally how much it would cost airgun manufactures to custom tune a gun.
Guitars are a different animal vs. Airguns .... there is a vast market for Custom Shop guitars, whereas most folks already complain about high Airgun costs.
Guaranteed, only the top 5% (my guess) would buy an OEM, Custom Shop Airgun - meaning an idea domed to failure -> right now.

But I would suggest, this is a great way for folks with some basic skills to get close to a custom shop Airgun.
Again, were not all Motorhead's with a lathe, Mill and other stuff ..... but it's silly to settle for a Standard Airgun when a somewhat, Custom Shop alternative is available with a little $$, leg work and Tinkering Time.

Many will say a OEM - RAW HM1000x
doesn't need to be tuned, but why not try to achieve a Custom Shop version!(y)

View attachment 434555

View attachment 434556

Maybe they just need a Gibson. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Treefrog
I hear where you're coming from. I made a living playing electric bass for over 30 years, and like many/most, I favored a Fender Precision. Later on, discovered the Fender Jazz bass, which added more tonal possibilities via the bridge pick up and had a slimmer neck. And as long as both utilised a four bolt neck attachment, one COULD SWAP NECKS. Ended up with a pre-CBS Precision with a frettless Jazz bass neck, with a Jazz bass pick up in the bridge position - that was a very versatile instrument, and it was my go-to axe for blues and jazz gigs -

And imho Crosman and Benjamin airguns offer the same advantages, countless permutations and combinations are possible -

2240HiPac1-24-2011002 (2).jpg

2023-12-11.jpg

I used to customize my own guitars (mostly pickups, bridges and sometimes necks) and they were usually the cheapest I could get from the pawn shop. I played a Les Paul copy I refinished and it was about 10 lbs hanging around my for at least 15 hours a week. Sucked. I didn't care if my guitars were that good because we had a really good lead and I was the singer and rhythm player. But back then I worked in a guitar shop and we did custom work on high end stuff like PRS..esp. Back then I could never afford anything like that. I get where you are going though and it makes sense to me. Back then I would have never thought about purchasing something as expensive as mid to higher end airguns cost today. I don't own a RAW and have kind of gleaned they may not "need a tune but I can't fault someone for trying to get more out of one.

I hear you breaux, but all the really good drummers I played with I did consider as musicians- hell, playing bass, when locked in with a good drummer, was and is a truly sublime experience.
The best players in the world with a bad drummer still sounds like a bad band! If "the section" isn't happening neither is anything else!

Reactions: SteveV