Airguns vs. gun-guns for teaching kids.

I have have a nine year old boy that is showing some aptitude, if not some talent. I'm I taking anything away from his learning if I only teach from PCP pellet guns?

I've several real guns that are classically considered "the right gun" for teaching. A cricket single shot, ruger 10/22, M&P 15-22 and then all the intermediate caliber guns you'd expect and 20g shotguns.
But I just don't have any love for teaching fundamentals that don't include the extra things you have to know for Airguns.

Reactions: beerthief
My kids have shot both. My son was shooting 800 yards by the age of 10. My daughter has started with the airguns from time to time, though really likes my competition 22lr. With a can at the end their is no noise and she enjoys it more.

Either one works, just ensure thyw know proper etiquette as well as safety. And don't push them to much. Make it something they want to do, and make it fun for them.

What GeneT said. I've taught with both.

AIrguns are preferred because of less distracting noise, less danger, easier range access and greater economy.

Cheers,

J~
In red above -

You're kidding right ? You telling me a .22 pellet to the back of the head, or the heart, or the neck or...........
Can't KILL ?

In blue above -
Maybe...

In yellow above -
A .22 firearm, vs a non-muffled, or badly muffled pellet gun aren't THAT much different.

You DID...miss the lack of pellet gun recoil !

So now, How...much better is a pellet gun to tech with ?

Mike

The Truth I was taught =treat ALL guns the same,with respect, does not matter what kind of gun it is. You do this because by doing it you are practicing safe gun handling, weather a BBgun gu or a a 44magnum Safe gun practice is learned and should be in be inbedded in a persons head . Also I practiced treating all people the same;with Respect.

:giggle:

Last edited:
I have have a nine year old boy that is showing some aptitude, if not some talent. I'm I taking anything away from his learning if I only teach from PCP pellet guns?

I've several real guns that are classically considered "the right gun" for teaching. A cricket single shot, ruger 10/22, M&P 15-22 and then all the intermediate caliber guns you'd expect and 20g shotguns.
But I just don't have any love for teaching fundamentals that don't include the extra things you have to know for Airguns.
I would say you are a lucky dad to be able to pass on your safe gun handling skills to your son. As you describe, your son has a natural aptitude, manipulation of arms is an across the board skill. It applies to the handling of “all” guns… So it seems you are on the right path… For me as an old man? Its all about “generation next”…🙏 Posts like yours help me keep my faith alive…

I had a pump up pellet shooter for several years before I graduated to firearms.
When I introduced my two girls to guns I started with single shot 22’s when they were 8 years old by 11 they were shooting my 1911’s with light loads and my 243.
It probably makes little difference which you start them with. It is the safety and proper handling that matter the most when they are just getting started.

I started my son with powder burners. Honestly, taking him to the range was a huge undertaking. Get everything cased up, make sure you have everything you need: ammo, mags, hearing protection, targets, etc., load everything into the car, get the kid ready, get him in the car, drive to the range, get everything out, set up a target, shoot for ten minutes, clean up the targets, load everything back into the car, go home, bring everything in the house, clean the guns, and put everything back away.

That's why we shoot a lot more airguns now. Grab a tin of pellets and rifle or two, go out in the backyard, shoot for half an hour, go back inside and put the rifles away.

Sometimes we shoot five or six times a week now instead of once every couple months. He learns a lot more about shooting and gun safety when we can shoot more.

You said "some aptitude, if not some talent" so maybe some day "all 10's"? My Mother -full ride- and my 1st scholarship were shooting. Not knowing age/size as Mic The Fuzzy Limey used to instruct "hack saw, bondo tape whatever it Must fit" "close your eyes throw it into position and open your eyes, should be on target enough to only need fine tuning or it doesn't fit".
Adult size or not it must fit, yes we all can and do adapt (a cricket is a one size fit all, UCK adapting is not the way to learn to shoot Well).
Airgun! Want low cost try a QB variant (maybe on HPA) and make it fit, a CZ200 of some model would be great, CMP may have a youth rig. Some FWB (not pcp but) youth model. A challenger from airgun revisions already fit? ..... An excellent rigger is also a great idea maybe not a 4oz 1st stage & 2 more for second but a good trigger (I'll not pick on the cricket again or Most "real" guns) and finding that in an airgun is easy.
As someone up above posted safety.... a .177 diablo pellet ((or.22) even tho there are NO mistakes IS much safer than a RF. You can get people used to the noise in 2 sessions and ecoil in a few more but if they start with a flinch it may never entirely leave the back of your mind, ever.
12fpe is good for 50m 20fpe is easier (and maybe more fun esp. if you have a lot of wind).
Lot's of good airguns out there just make sure it fits and/or -and more likely with children- you can make it fit.
A small springer, R-7? Might be good just a little later for the double recoil & learn a different hold (just like for different PB rigd) might make a nice Christmas/other gift just as soon as they get really good with a pcp.

Airgun!

John

Reactions: AlwaysLastPlace
I prefer a single shot tray for teaching gun safety as well as a low powered gun.

The effect is not the goal but barrel safety, trigger discipline and sweeping training are key.

I like any well fit gun over an adult gun that the LOP is too long.

I made an adjustable stock for my Prod for lessons with my grandkids. The oldest is the only one who's shot it and thought it was great. His dad was shooting a pistol nearby and he did not like that. Much too much noise. We did not have on hearing protection. But the little Prod was quiet enough he enjoyed it. I did not have the stock the right length for him but he could still see through the scope. I should have probably just removed it and let him shoot it as a pistol. For a more serious session I will adjust the stock for him. My grandkids are currently 8, 5, 4, and 2. I think only the oldest is old enough. I want them to be a little less silly and more capable of taking instruction before putting any gun in their hands.

I may do my demonstration with a 3/4 pine board with them before they shoot. Even my 177 will shoot through the board. A simple way to demonstrate they need to be careful. I think the risk of a pellet gun, especially a relatively low powered gun, is less than even a 22 lr but all guns need to be handled with respect and carefully following all the same rules. The damage the gun can do increases with fpe but even a 6 fpe gun is capable of causing damage and possibly even death.

My Prod has been retuned to about 18 fpe so it is hard for a grandkid to shoot. So I stayed with the first and will with the others. They hand it to me (with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction), I cock it and hand it back (also with the muzzle pointed safely). Any poor handling and the lesson will be over (without big lectures, just simple explanation provided calmly).

I will use a pcp instead of a 22lr or other PB because I have one I can adjust to their length of pull, it is quieter, and the risk is less. Not enough less that it can be handled differently, just a little more margin if they hit something they should not or shoot in a not totally safe direction. Rules are Rules but lower consequences are preferred. A 22 caliber PCP pellet traveling 750 fps or less is just not going to carry as far as a 22lr bullet or do as much damage when it hits something. I will not be surprised if one or more of them mis handles a gun or shoots in a direction they should not (especially the boys although my lovely grand daughter can be goofy sometimes). Best they learn on a less powerful gun.

In red above -

You're kidding right ? You telling me a .22 pellet to the back of the head, or the heart, or the neck or...........
Can't KILL ?

In blue above -
Maybe...

In yellow above -
A .22 firearm, vs a non-muffled, or badly muffled pellet gun aren't THAT much different.

You DID...miss the lack of pellet gun recoil !

So now, How...much better is a pellet gun to tech with ?

Mike

Nope, and... How you got all that out of what I wrote is way beyond me...

Lack of ear protection makes it a heck of a lot easier to get a kid's attention when necessary. Not to mention that a BB is a lot less lethal than a bullet. More economical too. I use multipump BB guns and the kids love them. And we all take safety seriously.

Cheers,

J~

Either will work, as long as they are both shown equal respect. It's important to impress the same safety considerations (muzzle direction, finger off the trigger, safe backstop, etc.) and not to treat the airgun as though it were some toy to be taken less seriously.

GsT
That is a good point. The Pneuma I want him to get started on has the air gauge in a place that nearly makes you put your face in front of the barrel. He can drill a 4" plate at 100 yards with my scoped, bagged, and Accu-tec F class bipod on a .30 Delta Wolf. He is a little slow at the 100, but the 3" swinger at 50 yards he can ring like a bell. So I am taking off Pneuma's little Hawke scope and putting on a rear sight but I will have to put a little mirror up or something in front of the table so he doesn't look at it straight on.

What GeneT said. I've taught with both.

AIrguns are preferred because of less distracting noise, less danger, easier range access and greater economy.

Cheers,

J~
The economy you mention and the fact that we can shoot 25 yards in our backyard is why I want to use the PCPs. I figured I might be missing some glaring reason not to do it this way. But it seems like the consensus is that I am not leaving anything major out by just teaching PCP for now.

Reactions: Treefrog