Airguns with crappy factory mags

What airguns out there would you all like to see some good aftermarket mags for? I'm currently working on the AEA HP/SF lines in all 3 calibers and a couple sizes, but after that I'm looking for my next big project.

If you can't think of mag ideas I'm open to other 3d printed accessory ideas.

So far on my research further list
Hatsan Jet 1/2 and 3 if its compatable with the others
Air Venturi Avenger
JTS Airacuda specifically single shot tray
Red Panda
Macavity MA2
AEA Challenger
Air Arms S410/S510

If I ever see a mag for it in the wild I'll attempt
Bantan Brocock XR
Daystate Revere

Last edited:
The Western Airguns Sidewinder. They don’t seem crappy, just expensive. I’d like to see how some aftermarket designs work in comparison.
I totally agree about the desirability of aftermarket mags for the sidewinder, but I’m dubious about whether they can be made cheaply.

In a way I really like them. They’re the easiest magazines to load that I’ve ever had and they’re built like a tank, but as you mention, they’re stupid expensive and for a select fire rifle they have a ridiculously low capacity.

The problem I see with making a cheaper version of them is that they’re essentially revolver cylinders and they’re not working with small charges of CO2. They’ve got to be strong and the indexing has to be precise.

I totally agree about the desirability of aftermarket mags for the sidewinder, but I’m dubious about whether they can be made cheaply.

In a way I really like them. They’re the easiest magazines to load that I’ve ever had and they’re built like a tank, but as you mention, they’re stupid expensive and for a select fire rifle they have a ridiculously low capacity.

The problem I see with making a cheaper version of them is that they’re essentially revolver cylinders and they’re not working with small charges of CO2. They’ve got to be strong and the indexing has to be precise.
So the mags act as part of the chamber/barrel and need to take the force of the shots? If thats the case I'll leave that for the experts.

If the mags just hold the pellets before they are loaded into the breach I could probably make something, getting the ratcheting notches to line up with the barrel would be a pain but doable with some trial and error

Reactions: MrP
So the mags act as part of the chamber/barrel and need to take the force of the shots? If thats the case I'll leave that for the experts.

If the mags just hold the pellets before they are loaded into the breach I could probably make something, getting the ratcheting notches to line up with the barrel would be a pain but doable with some trial and error
Yeah, that’s pretty much how they work. I think it’s just inherent to the design of that type of gun. Most similar guns have fixed cylinders that can’t be removed without full disassembly.

Yeah, that’s pretty much how they work. I think it’s just inherent to the design of that type of gun. Most similar guns have fixed cylinders that can’t be removed without full disassembly.
Thats what I figured when I saw every mag was a fancy steel or titainium. I woud love the challenge of making the ratcheting work and integrating metal parts into a 3d printed mag, but it would still be mostly plastic and that kind of psi mixed with plastic sounds like bad idea when its by your face

Contact CARM and ask if they might do some ?
I could but why? I am planning on doing that domestic production you said nobody has tried. I'm just starting out and ebay gave me a good kick where it hurts so while I'm getting back on my feet I figured I'd see what the people want.

What airguns out there would you all like to see some good aftermarket mags for? I'm currently working on the AEA HP/SF lines in all 3 calibers and a couple sizes, but after that I'm looking for my next big project.

If you can't think of mag ideas I'm open to other 3d printed accessory ideas.

So far on my todo list is
Hatsan Jet 1/2 and 3 if its compatable with the other
One big thing...
Verify on each particular gun that you will be making magazines for...that the "breach o-ring" is in the barrel...NOT the probe.

If the o-ring is in the breach, the magazine well (pellet resting location) can be as rough as you please.
If the o-ring is on the probe, the magazine well (pellet resting location) needs to be...SMOOTH. A rough surface will tear up the o-ring !

Been there, with other 3D magazines.

Mike

I agree with contacting Darco about a Carm mag he doesn't offer. I did on a 25 caliber P35 standard capacity magazine. I got a quick response that was respectful if not very informative. He said he wouldn't have them but didn't say why. I didn't keep asking. My guess is he would have to have less capacity than the stock magazine. That would be OK for me. I tried his higher capacity mag and it is right in my face (I shoot from my left shoulder) so I don't use it. Same issue I have with FX bullpups. But if you want something I don't see why you shouldn't ask.

My Snowpeak P35 magazines are pretty bad. I think the main body is aluminum which is nice but you have to load the first pellet backwards and then they do not consistent load well. Sometimes I have to jiggle the cocking lever or tap the magazine. The Carm mags for my 22 and 177 P35s work absolutely great. Normal loading, always feed. No issues at all.

My Prod and Avenger mags are OK. Kind of cheaply made but work fine. They are also priced cheap so I'm pretty much OK with them.

My Caiman has somewhat nice magazines but I do not think they are worth the price. The spring seems overly strong so they are a little hard to load. I think they are metal but that is not very important to me. In 22 they hold 10 but they didn't waste a space to prevent you from firing on an empty chamber. 10 isn't very many but I do not want it to protrude so I can live with that. I think I'd rather have 9 shot capacity and the empty chamber. I guess I could glue a pellet in the last one. But Air Maks was kind of smart about the cocking lever. It moves very smoothly and lightly. When you load the pellet you really feel it load because the leverage is low. That makes it more obvious you did not load a pellet. So overall I think the mag situation is OK. But a lower priced alternative from a known entity (like Carm) would get me to order a couple.

The cocking rod on the Caiman is on the left side of the magazine so they could not do what I think is best but I really like the way the SPA M50 does the magazine. It's a big magazine right in the middle of the gun so it sticks out a little on both sides. I haven't shot it but I think that is the way magazines should be. Why do they have to stick out a bunch? Put them in the middle.

One big thing...
Verify on each particular gun that you will be making magazines for...that the "breach o-ring" is in the barrel...NOT the probe.

If the o-ring is in the breach, the magazine well (pellet resting location) can be as rough as you please.
If the o-ring is on the probe, the magazine well (pellet resting location) needs to be...SMOOTH. A rough surface will tear up the o-ring !

Been there, with other 3D magazines.

Mike
Thank you for the advise, I'll keep that in mind as I go about picking my next mag to work on.

I agree with contacting Darco about a Carm mag he doesn't offer.
Yes, if my plan wasn't to start up something similar to Carm in the US I could probably message him about a mag request, but as of now I want to design and produce them myself.
My Snowpeak P35 magazines are pretty bad.
If you are still interested I can look into a P35 in 25 and see what I could do as well as looking into the other mags you mentioned. It might be some time but i can message you when Ive come up with anything

Reactions: Ezana4CE