Airguns with crappy factory mags

What airguns out there would you all like to see some good aftermarket mags for? I'm currently working on the AEA HP/SF lines in all 3 calibers and a couple sizes, but after that I'm looking for my next big project.

If you can't think of mag ideas I'm open to other 3d printed accessory ideas.

So far on my research further list
Hatsan Jet 1/2 and 3 if its compatable with the others
Air Venturi Avenger
JTS Airacuda specifically single shot tray
Red Panda
Macavity MA2
AEA Challenger
Air Arms S410/S510

If I ever see a mag for it in the wild I'll attempt
Bantan Brocock XR
Daystate Revere

Last edited:
The Western Airguns Sidewinder. They don’t seem crappy, just expensive. I’d like to see how some aftermarket designs work in comparison.
I don't think it's possible to make these cheap. The SK-19, Huben and Sidewinder all use the same type of magazine. They are mechanically cycling magazines where the pellet/slug is launched right from the magazine. Not sure if all of them have rifling but I know at least one of them does.

The magazine can NOT be made out of plastic, it would explode or deform quickly. The ammo isn't pushed into the barrel on these rifles, air pushes it directly from the magazine.
They are also designed to mechanically rotate trough the action of the rifle, so no tension spring in the magazine.
This means the magazine has to be made exactly right or there could be problems with it's rotation.

So how do you make this? Only option is to have it made by cnc machines and only way to make it cheaper would be to have it made in china where they are already made afaik. In doing so we would be going in murky copyright and patent violation territory... not like China cares about that though.
Screenshot 2024-07-11 130439.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it's possible to make these cheap. The SK-19, Huben and Sidewinder all use the same type of magazine. They are mechanically cycling magazines where the pellet/slug is launched right from the magazine. Not sure if all of them have rifling but I know at least one of them does.

The magazine can NOT be made out of plastic, it would explode or deform quickly. The ammo isn't pushed into the barrel on these rifles, air pushes it directly from the magazine.
They are also designed to mechanically rotate trough the action of the rifle, so no tension spring in the magazine.
This means the magazine has to be made exactly right or there could be problems with it's rotation.

So how do you make this? Only option is to have it made by cnc machines and only way to make it cheaper would be to have it made in china where they are already made afaik. In doing so we would be going in murky copyright and patent violation territory... not like China cares about that though.
View attachment 479035
Yeah, after a brief look at how they functioned and hearing from other posters I came to the same conclusioins which is why I dont have it on my list. Last thing anyone needs is a mag exploding in thier face/neck. Nobody wants to stick a thumb in it.

What airguns out there would you all like to see some good aftermarket mags for? I'm currently working on the AEA HP/SF lines in all 3 calibers and a couple sizes, but after that I'm looking for my next big project.

Air Venturi Avenger
Red Panda
Macavity MA2
AEA Challenger

Bantan Brocock XR
Daystate Revere

I can't see what use the factory mag is for my Ataman M2 .177. If you don't leave the rifle perfectly level on a shooting bench, the pellets fall out. Why would anyone need a magazine when shooting from a bench?

I can't see what use the factory mag is for my Ataman M2 .177. If you don't leave the rifle perfectly level on a shooting bench, the pellets fall out. Why would anyone need a magazine when shooting from a bench?
After a quick googling I cant even find a factory mag for sale anywhere, only crappy photos of the mags. And to top it off it looks like the gun was discontinued. Does it take the same mags as the M2R, which also look hard to comeby? It looks like it could be an interesting design challenge that I might have a few idea for. Does the bolt cocking hit a lever on the mag causing the mag to ratchet to the next chamber?

I've currently got a HP/SF 25 cal mag with 10 and 15rd options for sale. I've also got a 9 shot 30 cal out with a tester and a 12 shot 22 cal going to testing later this week. Once those are verified I'll get the higher round count versions for both those calibers finished and then start working my way down the list I made in the OP. Thinking about going to the Challanger or Jet next.
Great! I actually need 22 and 30 versions :). Hope you will get them out for sale soon. I really need to replace mags in my SF and SS to getter better cycling. Any chance you would come out with 35 cal for HP Max any time in the future? Thanks!

Great! I actually need 22 and 30 versions :). Hope you will get them out for sale soon. I really need to replace mags in my SF and SS to getter better cycling. Any chance you would come out with 35 cal for HP Max any time in the future? Thanks!
My tester for the 30 cal had an issue with his gun so that one is on standby for a bit while he gets that sorted or I find someone else to test for me. As for the 22 cal the 12 rd testing, it came out good and I've begun a production run of those but my printer is down for a few days while I wait on replacement parts. I've got the 22 cal 17rd mag out for testing and that should begin production after the 12rd mag is done probably the end of next week.

Reactions: uladz
For me, it's anything designed with the Marauder build. Load one from the back, the rest from the front. They constantly have to be rebuilt and just plain suck for me. Give me a CARM mag over them anyday, all day. Gamo swarm mags and BSA mags are well made as well.
Psst:
Only load 1st from the back I've used is the old Theoben design Benjamin copied.

Likely tiny market I need a couple of the discontinued .177 Gauntlet clips.

John

Reactions: Ratman
@ND_Designs Been a few months, just wondering if you are still working on one for the Jet 2? I would be interested in one, even if it's a testing model.
I wish I could say that I was, however the 30 cal HP/SF contiues to refuse to cooperate and just work. Meanwhile my printer wants nothing to do with doing bulk prints of the 22 cal mags that has been done. It has been a frustrating few weeks to put it mildly. I've probably wasted almost and entire roll of plastic on test prints and failed production runs.

• Wow
Reactions: Ratman

Air Venturi Avenger
Red Panda
Macavity MA2
AEA Challenger
Air Arms S410/S510

Bantan Brocock XR
Daystate Revere
Will your mags work with k&n hornet for the Notos?