American Air Arms All Things EVOL - Master Thread

Nice thread. Its so hard if not impossible at times to get much information on these airguns. Currently I have 3 of them and trying to get tune info is generally not going to happen unless I just dive in and experiment myself. Its a good thing that they are very easy to work on providing you have the proper tools.
I have tuned my HPS some. What I had done was adjust the regulator to about 1600psi. I backed way off on the hammer spring. My Idea is that I would be able to give myself a range of power adjustment for different grain slugs. Currently shooting the 24.8 NSAs at 1020fps. This is with the hammer spring backed way off. I know with the current setup I cannot shoot Heavy pellets. The FPS would just be far to great. Though before the made adjustments it shot them incredibly well and even then the FPS was a bit high. Shot count had not suffered to much with current tune but if I adjust the hammer spring for that added power it is noticeable. Not really a concern for myself though. I just wish that there was a small air chamber to put the regulator into for pressure testing while making adjustments before putting it back into the airgun. At least I have not seen one. I think that im good though with the adjustments made to the regulator at this point. With the HPS anyway.
What kind of groups are you getting with those 24.8 NSA at that speed? I have an HPS on the way to add to my evol collection and will be doing some slug testing myself.

My Paradigm was beginning to feel lonely with the pics of all those "black" Evols! 🍻

View attachment 357301

View attachment 357302

View attachment 357303
Here I will add to the group therapy!
20230129_103541.jpg

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Here's instruction on tuning the Evol's regulator from Tom, quoted from his post in another thread:

Regulator - The baseline of 2000 psi can be simply set by gently turning the adjuster until stops on the seat and then back out 7/8 of a turn. The adjustment is very fine, approx. 1 hour per 50 psi. Clockwise decreases and counter-clockwise increases the reg pressure. We will set them at tad higher at the factory for a couple of reasons. A slightly higher pressure will allow for frictional velocity losses of pellet weight slugs by a simple striker adjustment. Also, we have found the shot count to be slightly higher (36 regged shots with 44 gn. JSB) and the ES slightly tighter. As you can see from the independent ES data published in this thread; ES is not an issue.

As a general philosophy, EVOL is designed to have a wide operating range in terms of accuracy and velocity. The extremely stiff barrel system allows for this wide velocity range by mitigating harmonics, thus reducing the need to micromanage fps. Of course there is always a sweet spot; EVOL is designed to have a very wide sweet spot.

Last edited:
Here's instruction on tuning the Evol's regulator from Tom, quoted from his post in another thread:

Regulator - The baseline of 2000 psi can be simply set by gently turning the adjuster until stops on the seat and then back out 7/8 of a turn. The adjustment is very fine, approx. 1 hour per 50 psi. Clockwise decreases and counter-clockwise increases the reg pressure. We will set them at tad higher at the factory for a couple of reasons. A slightly higher pressure will allow for frictional velocity losses of pellet weight slugs by a simple striker adjustment. Also, we have found the shot count to be slightly higher (36 regged shots with 44 gn. JSB) and the ES slightly tighter. As you can see from the independent ES data published in this thread; ES is not an issue.

As a general philosophy, EVOL is designed to have a wide operating range in terms of accuracy and velocity. The extremely stiff barrel system allows for this wide velocity range by mitigating harmonics, thus reducing the need to micromanage fps. Of course there is always a sweet spot; EVOL is designed to have a very wide sweet spot.
Thanks for posting this, definitely going to be useful when I dig into my HPS , I think I would like to tune it for 20-24 gr NSA

These guns are very easy to work on, and the fact that they are built like a tank and look great it awesome!

Was out last Wednesday shooting with my son and we set a KYL target at 50 yards and got bored at clearing it. So we pushed it back to 100 and was able to consistently get down to the last target without missing. That little bugger at the end was a tad to small to hit, but everything else was a breeze.

These guns are very easy to work on, and the fact that they are built like a tank and look great it awesome!

Was out last Wednesday shooting with my son and we set a KYL target at 50 yards and got bored at clearing it. So we pushed it back to 100 and was able to consistently get down to the last target without missing. That little bugger at the end was a tad to small to hit, but everything else was a breeze.
What are you shooting from your 22 woogie?

Here's my solution to get a solid and repeatable (off and back on) one piece cantilever scope mount on the Evol. To fit the front rail, only a cantilever mount that spans just four slots of a picatinny rail will work. A lot of mounts are made to fit 5 slots of a rail. The mount on the Evol in the image is a Leupold Mark AR. It needs modified to remove about 1/2" of metal off the back, because it fits five slots as designed. Removing the extra metal was done easy enough with a hack saw and flat file to clean it up nice. The other mount shown is a Nightforce Unimount with 0-moa built in. It fits perfectly.

Because the Evol is engineered with a perfect amount of moa built into the picatinny rail, an additional 20 moa built into some cantilever mounts doesn't allow scope turrets to get low enough to zero at close range, that is unless you are going to shoot long range targets.
Screenshot_20230519-203314.png

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_

This is interesting. Based off what my regulator is showing my it is sitting at about 1600. Now I did dial it up from where it was when I got it. I did get it new just if you are wondering. I may watch both gauges and compare them when the reg drops off. As far as I can tell everything seems fine. Going to watch it though. May get a new gauge. AoA is just down the road from me.

This is interesting. Based off what my regulator is showing my it is sitting at about 1600. Now I did dial it up from where it was when I got it. I did get it new just if you are wondering. I may watch both gauges and compare them when the reg drops off. As far as I can tell everything seems fine. Going to watch it though. May get a new gauge. AoA is just down the road from me.
The high pressure gauges he uses are pretty accurate, unless you really want something like a digital. So, something no one has said before about the 22 HPS how heavy of a slug and how fast will it sling them accurately?

The high pressure gauges he uses are pretty accurate, unless you really want something like a digital. So, something no one has said before about the 22 HPS how heavy of a slug and how fast will it sling them accurately?
Very interesting. My HPS has Omega gauges and my other two EvoLs have ones marked American Air. I have no interest in digital. Had one on my Lelya back when I had that. That did not last long. Changed that out to an analog with a quickness.

Reactions: Headshots
What kind of groups are you getting with those 24.8 NSA at that speed? I have an HPS on the way to add to my evol collection and will be doing some slug testing myself.
Ok. I am rather limited to range space at my house due to having a small yard and some other obstacles in the way like garden plants. I will generally zero everything at 12 yards. I understand that this tells little about groupings at range. However the HPS will stack basically hole in hole. Now when the barrel gets dirty thats a different story. The groupings open up to about the size of a nickel to quarter. I just clean it and its back to stacking. No need to re-zero.
As far as distance shooting I will generally take clay pigeons or seltzer water cans out and just set them up at various distances. I have had pretty good luck with stuff as far as 280 yards. Was rather easy actually. Now on a windy day. Thats another story. I have also shot collard doves and pigeons as far as 186 yards. I feel at that range its pretty much a given once the trigger is pulled.
I hope this helps at least some. I know Im probably different then many with my shooting habits. I like to set up things to shoot other then a paper target. Not that there is anything wrong with paper targets. The child in me just likes to play a bit I guess. Even at 48.

Very interesting. My HPS has Omega gauges and my other two EvoLs have ones marked American Air. I have no interest in digital. Had one on my Lelya back when I had that. That did not last long. Changed that out to an analog with a quickness.
@Elbowgrease If you have the black gauges on your Evol and think they’re giving you problems, I’d swap those out for the ones that read “American Air Arms.” My old black reg gauge wasn’t moving much at all and I could hear it if/when I fell off the reg. Swapped them out with gauges from Tom and the issue was solved. There a link to a thread on it somewhere in this thread.

Anyone have issues with magazines? Sometimes they jam up pretty bad on occasion. I've tried loosening up the center screw and playing with that but doesn't change anything , the 15.89 hades kinda fall in at an angle as the mag cycles

View attachment 358062
I was having a bit of an issue once the magazine got a little dirty from use. (I was lubing the pellets and slugs with silicone oil.) I took it apart and cleaned the gunk out and put it back together, trying it out dry instead of lubed. Lube collects dirt and grit, where dry won't. Loosening the screw seemed to allow the inner portion to not rotate as true, kind of sloppy, so I put purple Loctite on the screw to where the lid was flush and slightly snug but rotated smooth and haven't had any issue since.

Last edited: