American Air Arms All Things EVOL - Master Thread

I think we should all take a step back. Tom is a busy guy. Putting out a top tier product and thus far, been very communicative , he's running a business, I'm sure agn is not his top priority, while I'm sure his customer service is, we have to be patient. He's been super responsive and helpful with me and even cares about his works of art after they've changed hands from original owners.

Agree. He’s been great to all.

Hoping the magazine issue gets resolved at some point.

I have had this happen to me a couple of times with pellets as well. Aside from now carrying a fiberglass rod in my case now to tap the jammed pellet back into the magazine, I also did some experimenting with the different magazines to figure out why it happens and completed the fix for it.

What happens is the very edge of a pellet head will catch this sharp edge of the magazine as it begins to exit. (Check out the difference in the two magazine holes, before and after.) This sharp edge is sometimes catching/dragging the edge of the pellet's head, which allows the pellet to want to move sideways in the magazine. Then, the extra force we apply with the cocking lever jams things up. Through testing, the solution was to cut, radius and polish the leading edge of the hole in the magazine. I haven't had a jam since, and can feel that there's no catching issues anymore.

Cleaning and polishing up the inside edge of the hole was easy enough with these steps: (1) Disassemble the magazine. (2) Working from the outside to reach the inside corner of the hole at an angle, take a razor blade and lightly cut the sharp corner off the hole. One or two light cutting swipes all the way around the hole worked. (3) Polish the cut edge into a smooth round radius with 400-600 grit sandpaper (I rolled sandpaper tightly around a small .050" Allen wrench to work the close corners and add pressure to the paper.) (4) Reassemble, tightening the screw so the magazine lid is closed on all sides and rotates with a little bit of resistance.

View attachment 358534View attachment 358535
Thanks for posting this. I've noticed this as well although not often. It appears that it happens with pellets but I don't recall it happening with slugs I guess due to the shape. Hopefully Tom can have them beveled from the factory on the newer mags.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Agree. He’s been great to all.

Hoping the magazine issue gets resolved at some point.
Just so everyone is aware, this jamming issue does not happen often. But because it does happen, I was told it is going to be corrected going forward. In the meantime time, as per the instructions in post #75, it is an easy fix that takes about 5 minutes total.

I went on Oring store llc and bought I think 10 of each when I got mine. I know it's convenient from captain oring but was cheaper buying it how I did compared to his prices. But would be nice for those that don't want to do that to go to him for a kit.
Exactly what Im going to do tomorrow. I changed out the reg gauge and the tank pressure gauge today on the HPS. Had issues with the o-rings sealing back up after that. Between some Harbor freight o-rings and a trip to Ace everything is sealed up and holding a 4k pressure so far. Time to put together a EvoL kit.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
After changing Both gauges on the HPS today I discovered that my regulator is actually set to about 2400 psi. I did state in another post that it was set at 1600 and after reading around on this thread and seeing that the baseline was actually 2000. I did turn up my regulator so 1600 just did not seem right and did not sit well with me.

Exactly what Im going to do tomorrow. I changed out the reg gauge and the tank pressure gauge today on the HPS. Had issues with the o-rings sealing back up after that. Between some Harbor freight o-rings and a trip to Ace everything is sealed up and holding a 4k pressure so far. Time to put together a EvoL kit.
Nice. I think I'll be tearing into mine to optimize my reg pressure for my shooting. It's definitely higher than needs to be but I don't think alot. I do like having the orings on hand though just in case like what you had. I try to do that with all my airguns then the next owner gets my oring collection for the gun if I do sell it

After changing Both gauges on the HPS today I discovered that my regulator is actually set to about 2400 psi. I did state in another post that it was set at 1600 and after reading around on this thread and seeing that the baseline was actually 2000. I did turn up my regulator so 1600 just did not seem right and did not sit well with me.
That makes alpt more sense. 1600 did seem low to me for the HPS. But didn't know what FPS or FPE you were shooting. I did drop my 15" to 1600 psi to shoot at 30fpe when I owned it

This is what makes this site awesome as well as threads like this great, collective discussion about something we all have in common and share a passion for. It also helps the manufacturer please us but we just have to remember to remain cool, I am surprised it took this long for the magazine thing to become a true discussion, but hey here we are.

Reactions: madeintheuk
Reactions: Ezana4CE
That makes alpt more sense. 1600 did seem low to me for the HPS. But didn't know what FPS or FPE you were shooting. I did drop my 15" to 1600 psi to shoot at 30fpe when I owned it

Its shooting the 24.8 NSAs at 1020fps. Strelock shows 57fpe at 1 yard. Hammer spring is backed way off so I have room to play with heaver slugs.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Its shooting the 24.8 NSAs at 1020fps. Strelock shows 57fpe at 1 yard. Hammer spring is backed way off so I have room to play with heaver slugs.

You should post up some groupings at this speed! Ive got 3 different slugs to try, altaros, zan, and some light H&N the altaros and zan are 32/33 grain.

Reactions: Elbowgrease
Anyone shoot without the moderator? I’m in a state that the mod is forbidden.

Maybe I’m mistaken but I thought I read somewhere that the barrel,shroud,mod where part of a system and are needed for accuracy. It’s the only reason I don’t own an evol.

tell me I’m wrong...
The barrel and shroud do act as a unit, they are secured by the moderator adapter/barrel tension nut at the front end.
You can remove the moderator, leaving the adapter in place, and the rifle will function fine but it will be LOUD.
Think rimfire loud and you will have an idea of what you will be looking at.

Last edited:
The barrel and shroud do act as a unit, they are secured by the moderator adapter/barrel tension nut at the front end.
You can remove the moderator, leaving the adapter in place, and the rifle will function fine but it will be LOUD.
Think rimfire loud and you will have an idea of what you will be looking at.
The .22 cal HMX1000 is stupid loud without the mod too. Not much if a concern. Not a backyard gun.
Most of my shooting is at a private range, along side of the powder burners.

Hunting with .22 and .177 is allowed but without the be quiet device.

I guess I’m asking if accuracy will degrade without the mod. Not only functioning to quiet the bark, it is an air stripper and barrel weight too.

anyone care to try some groups with and without the moderator?

It says the HPS is .223, I am wondering why everyone rolls with .218 when testing slugs?
I don't think that ended up being a thing. It also says 26" barrel. I believe the HPS have the same kind of barrel on the Mini and 15" a 4 groove TJ and are 20". The specs on the AAA website aren't updated I don't think.

EDIT: My mistake I just saw a video of Tom with the AAA shooting team and he is making new HPS models in .223 with a 26" barrel. But I don't think there out yet but coming soon. The older HPS rifles are .218.

Last edited:
Anyone shoot without the moderator? I’m in a state that the mod is forbidden.

Maybe I’m mistaken but I thought I read somewhere that the barrel,shroud,mod where part of a system and are needed for accuracy. It’s the only reason I don’t own an evol.

tell me I’m wrong...
@Heavyopp I’m pretty sure if you do this, you’ll shoot once before putting it back on. You’re certainly not going to do much shooting in your backyard or hunting without a moderator on these guns.
The above thread is probably where you read about the Evol moderator system. Posts #17, #21-23 discuss it.

Last edited:
Reactions: woogie_man