Huben All Things HUBEN K1 - Master Thread

I’m hoping to get a K1 in .22 soon and I’d like to try and achieve as high of a shot count as possible. I want to shoot jsb 18.1 at around 850 fps. I’d also like it to be quiet. What would be the lowest reg pressure I can use? I was thinking 110/120? And will having a lower reg pressure make the rifle quieter than say having it at around 130/140.
Hope someone can advise me, thanks.

@nathandore Generally speaking using a lower reg pressure will yield a higher shot count, but this tends to lower velocity thus lowering foot pound energy. The main thing is to be sure that your reg setting provides adequate velocity for your chosen projectile so that it is accurate. You also should consider if you're shooting in an environment where pass throughs on you quarry will damage property or harm other animals or people. I suggest that you read back through this thread and other Huben K1 threads. You'll find plenty of information that can help you better understand this platform. Here's a thread to get you started https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/huben-k1.1300853/#post-1627889 This is not your typical PCP.

Last edited:
I’m hoping to get a K1 in .22 soon and I’d like to try and achieve as high of a shot count as possible. I want to shoot jsb 18.1 at around 850 fps. I’d also like it to be quiet. What would be the lowest reg pressure I can use? I was thinking 110/120? And will having a lower reg pressure make the rifle quieter than say having it at around 130/140.
if you go too low, it will dump the action.
if you really want/need a specific tune, i would ask kelly at krazcool.com to tune one for you. it will come shooting perfect and reliable.

As @wimpanzee said, there is a limit on how low you can go. Unfortunately, that will vary by gun - mine runs great all the way down to 90 bar on the regulator without dumping the air (provided I stick with pellets and don't try slugs, as will dump with those at that level), and others have guns that won't operate correctly below about 120/130 bar. But even at ~90 bar I have no problem shooting JSB 18.1s at over 920 FPS, and I still get plenty of shots (well over 100 on a ~4300 psi fill.

I did find that the Huben regulator is less stable (has more creep) the lower you go with it. It seems happiest at around 140-150 bar. Since I wanted to run more consistently at the lower pressures, I eventually switched to a Huma regulator in it - I gave up the easy adjustability, but gained stability and a more consistent first shot speed.

I also agree that talking to Kelly is a great idea, but if you are even a little bit of a tinkerer then you won't leave it alone - the adjustability of the gun is just so much fun . . .

As @wimpanzee said, there is a limit on how low you can go. Unfortunately, that will vary by gun - mine runs great all the way down to 90 bar on the regulator without dumping the air (provided I stick with pellets and don't try slugs, as will dump with those at that level), and others have guns that won't operate correctly below about 120/130 bar. But even at ~90 bar I have no problem shooting JSB 18.1s at over 920 FPS, and I still get plenty of shots (well over 100 on a ~4300 psi fill.

I did find that the Huben regulator is less stable (has more creep) the lower you go with it. It seems happiest at around 140-150 bar. Since I wanted to run more consistently at the lower pressures, I eventually switched to a Huma regulator in it - I gave up the easy adjustability, but gained stability and a more consistent first shot speed.

I also agree that talking to Kelly is a great idea, but if you are even a little bit of a tinkerer then you won't leave it alone - the adjustability of the gun is just so much fun . . .
yeah my 2024 k1 will dump at 130bar. it is really happy at 170bar tho! super stable. It seems the latest ones are sharing more parts (stiffer springs) in the action with the gk1 - which obviously operates at a higher pressure due to being unregulated. I had to have kelly help me find the sweet spot on it after I jammed and dumped it a few times trying to work at a lower pressure.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezana4CE
yeah my 2024 k1 will dump at 130bar. it is really happy at 170bar tho! super stable. It seems the latest ones are sharing more parts (stiffer springs) in the action with the gk1 - which obviously operates at a higher pressure due to being unregulated. I had to have kelly help me find the sweet spot on it after I jammed and dumped it a few times trying to work at a lower pressure.

I guess the type of reg you have dictates the minimum set pressure. @wimpanzee Which reg are you running?

I guess the type of reg you have dictates the minimum set pressure. @wimpanzee Which reg are you running?
To be clear, I had no functional issues running my 2021 K1 at 90 bar on the factory regulator - it would not dump at that level and shot really well. However, the reg was not too stable at that pressure and I had more ES as the time between shots varied (so the first shot was always off). I put the Huma regulator in it to get rid of that issue at the lower reg pressure, and it worked . . .

To be clear, I had no functional issues running my 2021 K1 at 90 bar on the factory regulator - it would not dump at that level and shot really well. However, the reg was not too stable at that pressure and I had more ES as the time between shots varied (so the first shot was always off). I put the Huma regulator in it to get rid of that issue at the lower reg pressure, and it worked . . .
This is what I wanted to find out as I don’t plan on shooting 18.1’s faster than 900 so lowering the reg to around 100 maybe ok for what I need? And once I have my tune sorted I have no problem with putting the huma reg in for more consistency it sounds ideal

Anybody found an easy way to get the power wheel back on after disassembly. I fought it for too long today and had to walk away. Came back after dinner and realized I was using too small of a hex. But still took me a while with right size tool.
@Hampton Which year is yours? I've only taken mine off once or twice. I don't recall having much of an issue reinstalling the wheel once I understood the correct orientation to reinstall the stem that the wheel fits over.

i have taken mine off several times between 2 different K1's...22 & 25.
if you remove the adjustment wheel assembly and the plastic tube and metal shaft comes out with it, best way to align it all back up is have the stock on the gun in a holding rest level.
then thread the wheel/tube& shaft into the stock.
you will know if it works or not.....the square tip of the metal shaft comes up thru the
bearing's washer plate so you can install the adjustment wheel correctly.
i have learned by doing it many times. good luck (y)

Mine is a 2022. I was hoping someone found a trick that I didn’t know. Maybe a longer fastener would help. I got it back together but man it is a PITA. I tell you what though, that will be the last time I forget to lower the magazine release lever after loading. 🙄 I hope my groups come back together after cleaning the barrel. That’s what started this whole fiasco.